1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Nike is now peddling a shoe subscription service

By Shawn Knight · 13 replies
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM
Post New Reply
  1. For better or for worse, the subscription model has forever changed retail. From movie tickets and music to video games and now apparently, children’s shoes, you can purchase just about anything if you’re willing to pay a recurring fee for it.

Nike on Monday introduced its first footwear subscription service for children. Dubbed the Nike Adventure Club, the program lets kids swap Nike and Converse shoes on a regular basis to make shopping for footwear as convenient as possible.

“If you like the shoe, you can keep the pair. If you’re ready to replace it, send it back and Adventure Club will send the next pair of your choosing.”

That last bit is a key marketing point for Nike – appealing to recycling-minded consumers that’d prefer to keep old shoes out of landfills. Nike said it will either donate or recycle returned sneakers depending on their condition.

Nike is also hoping to appeal to consumers on a convenience front. Most kids’ feet grow rapidly, necessitating new shoes on a regular basis. Kids are also though on kicks, typically wearing them out far sooner than an adult might.

Conversely, not being able to try shoes on in person before committing to them is a bit of a shortcoming although Nike will work with users to get just the right fit and style.

Interested parties can join Nike’s waitlist for inclusion in the program.

Permalink to story.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,503   +3,891

Seriously? So what about those that are returned, will be wearing "seconds" or "retreads"??? and the smell ...... oh my!

3. XtremeHammond

XtremeHammond TS Booster Posts: 87   +61

I saw food subscription already, so footwear subscription is not that shocking for me.
    Everybody loves the stream! :)

4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,524   +3,085

This is so exciting, I need an underwear subscription service.

5. seeprime

seeprime TS Guru Posts: 396   +423

Food subscriptions? Really? I sure don't want to see the returned items.

6. sushi board

sushi board TS Rookie

I guess it'll be good for people who like the smell of other people's feet.

7. Godel

Godel TS Addict Posts: 179   +91

Tough on kicks?

Hardware Geek likes this.
  8. PEnnn

PEnnn TS Addict Posts: 118   +104

Nike shoe subscription service: $60 per month
    Free Foot Fungus: Priceless.

9. Danny101

Danny101 TS Guru Posts: 817   +324

Toothbrush subscriptions to be unveiled soon!

10. yeeeeman

yeeeeman TS Addict Posts: 175   +145

Condom subscription we want!

11. Manu Arg

Manu Arg TS Rookie

I'm not from the US but is it really that expensive to buy your own pair of shoes? with 60 bucks a month I could buy a pair of new Nike shoes every month in my country.

12. Hardware Geek

Hardware Geek TS Booster Posts: 96   +77

Tough on shoes? I realize that kicks is slang for shoes but it sounds so... juvenile. Which is fitting (get it?) considering the fact that this is being marketed as a service for children's shoes.

13. MannerMauler

MannerMauler TS Addict Posts: 212   +55

I was with you too, until I realized he might be referring to the typo.

Hardware Geek likes this.
  14. Hardware Geek

Hardware Geek TS Booster Posts: 96   +77

I realize that...but kicks... really? Maybe I'm just getting old.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...