Nikon is creating the first mirrorless camera for use on the Moon

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: When NASA astronauts return to the Moon later this decade, they'll be equipped with a custom handheld camera developed by one of the world's leading camera makers. That's because NASA and Nikon recently signed a Space Act agreement that outlines their partnership to develop a modern camera that can withstand the harsh environment of the lunar surface.

Space agency experts have already performed initial testing on an off-the-shelf Nikon Z 9 mirrorless camera to get an idea of what sort of specs it needs to be able to operate on the Moon. Armed with that data, the two are now co-developing a modified version of the Z 9 that will be known as the handheld universal lunar camera (HULC).

NASA said the new camera will use Nikkor lenses, a NASA-made thermal blanket to protect it from the elements, and a custom grip that will allow astronauts to use it while wearing spacesuits. Internal electrical components will also be modified to reduce the effects of radiation.

The new camera should offer far more flexibility compared to the hardware astronauts used during the Apollo program. Those cameras didn't have viewfinders, and separate units had to be used for video and photos. The new Nikon camera will have a viewfinder and be able to shoot both still photos and video.

NASA is already conducting thermal, radiation, and vacuum testing on an early version of the camera to simulate how it will behave in a space-like environment. It has also been used by suited astronauts in simulated spacewalks in Arizona, and during geology training in Spain.

HULC will be used during Artemis III, in which NASA aims to land Americans on the surface of the Moon for the first time in over 50 years. NASA recently delayed Artemis II and Artemis III; now, the latter isn't expected to happen until September 2026 at the earliest. NASA said it also plans to send the camera to the International Space Station to demo its capabilities beforehand.

Permalink to story.

My father took all of our family photos with his Pentax on 35mm film. Between the light meter readings, the f-stop adjustments, the shutter speed & aperture settings it took darn near 4 minutes to take just one picture….not good when you’re on vacation. But now, almost 7 decades later, the scanned slides actually look better on my 4K computer screen than the ones I currently take using my iPhone 15 ProMax.
I thought the original Apollo’s lunar photos from 1969 looked pretty spectacular, even by today’s standards. Why do we need to try and the-invent the wheel with a new billion-dollar Nikon moon camera when the one from nearly 60 years ago looked awesome. Just rebuild the same one
(Oh, I forgot we can’t rebuild it….just like we will never be able to rebuild the F-1 engine as all of the skilled NASA welders have since died and taken their trade secrets with them).

The original photo's on the moon were made with a 2 1/4 square Hassiblad which, with it's zeis lenses were far superior to any 35mm camera ... of course the cost was roughly 10x more as well. I've been using my old Hassi for over 35 years and it's still better than any digital camera I own, and rivals my 4x5 Speed Graphic as well. But as any experienced photographer knows, it's not the camera but what's behind it that really makes it stand out.

Nikon certainly has the experience in doing rugged, environmentally sealed cameras. I look at my old D3s. It is built like a proverbial tank. Weighs almost as much or so it feels after lugging it for half a day or so.

But now, almost 7 decades later, the scanned slides actually look better on my 4K computer screen than the ones I currently take using my iPhone 15 ProMax.

Because the sensor in your iphone is the size of your pinky nail. The 35mm film is much larger, so it'll capture more information. Film also still has a much larger dynamic range than digital has, cameras like Nikon's Z lineup are only just starting to rival films with the 'worst' dynamic ranges.

Back