Nintendo anticipates selling two million Switch systems during its first month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nintendo a week ago unveiled Switch, its oft-rumored hybrid home / portable gaming console set to arrive early next year. While critical details remain a mystery, Nintendo President and CEO Tatsumi Kimishima provided some additional insight on the system during an earnings call with media on Wednesday.

Wall Street Journal technology reporter Takashi Mochizuki, who attended the briefing, noted on Twitter that Nintendo’s guidance on the Switch assumes two million units will be shipped by the fiscal year ending in March.

Nintendo has said that it plans to launch Switch in March 2017 although exactly what date is still up in the air. Either way, it’s likely that the bulk of those estimated two million shipped units will consist of pre-orders.

Kimishima further told reporters that Nintendo won’t ship the Switch at a loss (it’s not uncommon in the gaming industry for companies to sell hardware at a loss with the intent of recouping money on the sale of games). That said, Nintendo will also listen to what consumers expect from them when setting its price.

Those hoping to learn in-depth details about the Switch this year will be sorely disappointed as Kimishima said Nintendo has no plans to reveal hardware specifications and pricing this calendar year. The executive added that prospective buyers will have an opportunity to play the console before launch.

Permalink to story.

I'm willing to pay up to 400 USD for it as long as it comes bundled with a pro controller. Though it saddens me as I feel like this may be the death of the gameboy if it performs well. I'm still very interest to see what they do for their network as Nintendo has always had crap systems for online.

Last edited:
I'm willing to pay up to 400 USD for it as long as it comes bundled with a pro controller. Thought it saddens me as I feel like this may be the death of the gameboy if it performs well. I'm still very interest to see what they do for their network as Nintendo has always had crap systems for online.

You mean the 3DS.

If it performs well, it's perfectly capable of unifying their portable and tv-set customer bases, which is huge.

In terms of network, I feel that Nintendo has been taking some baby steps in the correct direction, in the last couple years. Nothing particularly extraordinary, mind you. They still have to do away with the whole device-bound library and need for system transfer...

The images shown in that commercial are fake games. That's right, no one was playing them, they were layered over the screen and they are not guaranteed to come to the Switch.

You mean the 3DS.

If it performs well, it's perfectly capable of unifying their portable and tv-set customer bases, which is huge.

In terms of network, I feel that Nintendo has been taking some baby steps in the correct direction, in the last couple years. Nothing particularly extraordinary, mind you. They still have to do away with the whole device-bound library and need for system transfer...

Yup 3DS!

The images shown in that commercial are fake games. That's right, no one was playing them, they were layered over the screen and they are not guaranteed to come to the Switch.

You could say that about pretty much any game console commercial and it'd be true... They never said anything in that advert about the specific games coming to the switch. They just showed a promotional video for their upcoming system and what its capable of doing.

Another stupid, gimmicky piece of junk. I have completely lost faith in Nintendo by now. There's a difference between innovation and throwing random pieces of crap up against the wall to see which one sticks. Oh well, I guess they have enough money in the bank to try and "innovate" a couple of more times before they run out of cash.

PS. - To those who are hoping this will be a $199 system, don't hold your breath. Nintendo keeps thinking they can sell you severely outdated hardware for the same prices as current generation systems, all because they're "innovative".

I'm willing to pay up to 400 USD for it as long as it comes bundled with a pro controller. Though it saddens me as I feel like this may be the death of the gameboy if it performs well. I'm still very interest to see what they do for their network as Nintendo has always had crap systems for online.
Bundled pro controller. You're joking, right?

Another stupid, gimmicky piece of junk. I have completely lost faith in Nintendo by now. There's a difference between innovation and throwing random pieces of crap up against the wall to see which one sticks. Oh well, I guess they have enough money in the bank to try and "innovate" a couple of more times before they run out of cash.

PS. - To those who are hoping this will be a $199 system, don't hold your breath. Nintendo keeps thinking they can sell you severely outdated hardware for the same prices as current generation systems, all because they're "innovative".

The Tegra chipset is amazing and they have been working on a new gen of it which is promising to be huge. There really isn't anything gimmicky about the Switch. Game content is key...not throw more GPU power at the wall causing the fanboys and girls to swoon. I have had an Xbox One sitting in my house for a year. We have played a few dozen games. Not impressed. It is the same with PS4 games that I have experienced. There are a few gems on both MS and Sony, but solid stories and being truly drawn into the games comes far and few. The GameCube was a solid offering. The same with the Wii. The Wii U seemed to be a stepping stone. The next "Big Thing" is 4K gaming. I have experienced that also. Sure, it is pretty, but once again if the premise and execution aren't there then it is junk. If the big N pulls this off it will be a huge step. The ability to take high quality games on the go or snap into the base at the house.

Are there adults who intend to carry this around so they can play on the go? like when they are in the car and mom and dad are taking them somewhere? or to a friends house? sleepover maybe? Then they plug it into the old tv set to get a better look at it and monopolize the tv?
I just don't get it.
but, looking back, I was in a few gaming shops when the ps3/wii were just arriving. I remember how none of the kids in the store cared to pick up the wii remote and give it a try. Yet there was a line 10 deep to get a few minutes with the ps3. the wii was set up not 3 feet from the ps3 and nobody cared. I thought , damn. maybe nintendo has finally done it, and perhaps they should follow sega's lead. fast forward a few years, I had kids, bought them a wii. never owned a ps3, and from what I hear nintendo "won" that generation. I think the wii was really alright.
I now have bough the kids a ps4, but personally( and my kids might echo me), I'd rather just have a souped up, 60fps 1080p wii.

400$ for a handheld gaming device that is essentially Shield 2.0? what the hell. if it launches at that price it won't even get passed 1mil let alone 2.

Yup 3DS!

You could say that about pretty much any game console commercial and it'd be true... They never said anything in that advert about the specific games coming to the switch. They just showed a promotional video for their upcoming system and what its capable of doing.

You could say that, but I can't remember the following being said about other consoles' commercials:

Shady:
"Nintendo’s announcement comes after Bethesda and 2K Games said that Skyrim and NBA2K, both of which appear in the video, haven’t been confirmed as coming to the Switch."

Damage Control:
“You shouldn't assume what you saw on the video represents actual game footage and further specifics on first-party games will be provided later," Nintendo’s spokesperson added.

And finally....
"Fan reaction to the revelations have been mixed. There are those who say that, as Nintendo states, the sole purpose of the video is to illustrate how the Switch will work; others, however, claim the company is deceiving consumers."

I am so disinterested in this concept and the tiny tiny little controller for the 2 player version on the portable format is just laughable. I don't think this will be in as many homes as PC's are now.

Are there adults who intend to carry this around so they can play on the go? like when they are in the car and mom and dad are taking them somewhere? or to a friends house? sleepover maybe? Then they plug it into the old tv set to get a better look at it and monopolize the tv?
I just don't get it.
but, looking back, I was in a few gaming shops when the ps3/wii were just arriving. I remember how none of the kids in the store cared to pick up the wii remote and give it a try. Yet there was a line 10 deep to get a few minutes with the ps3. the wii was set up not 3 feet from the ps3 and nobody cared. I thought , damn. maybe nintendo has finally done it, and perhaps they should follow sega's lead. fast forward a few years, I had kids, bought them a wii. never owned a ps3, and from what I hear nintendo "won" that generation. I think the wii was really alright.
I now have bough the kids a ps4, but personally( and my kids might echo me), I'd rather just have a souped up, 60fps 1080p wii.

The Wii and DS Lite essentially printed money for the company, because they were so popular and cheap to make. They made money not just on games, but hardware too - which Sony and MS breakeven on, on a good day.

Sounds like you wanted to Wii U. Maybe this one will scratch that itch too, but its hard to say when all we have to go on is "Tegra SoC" for specs.

400$ for a handheld gaming device that is essentially Shield 2.0? what the hell. if it launches at that price it won't even get passed 1mil let alone 2.
I do not know the specifics to the Shield, but right now you can pay all the way up to $200 for a 3DS XL, which is far less advanced than what they are showcasing right now with the Switch. To that you can add local multiplayer on the go, a dock to connect it to a TV, great -heavenly awesome- IPs and great games that will be developed specifically to the console, which is extremely different to the Shield as to compare one another.

Pricing alone is good enough, new console, updated hardware, plus the dock, makes it convenient enough. If you add all that is Nintendo to it, hell yeah.

Please do give me information on new console announcement where they had games already developed before the console was even good to go, please pretty please. Don't mount the aholewagon unnecessary.

I do not know the specifics to the Shield, but right now you can pay all the way up to $200 for a 3DS XL, which is far less advanced than what they are showcasing right now with the Switch. To that you can add local multiplayer on the go, a dock to connect it to a TV, great -heavenly awesome- IPs and great games that will be developed specifically to the console, which is extremely different to the Shield as to compare one another.

Pricing alone is good enough, new console, updated hardware, plus the dock, makes it convenient enough. If you add all that is Nintendo to it, hell yeah.

Please do give me information on new console announcement where they had games already developed before the console was even good to go, please pretty please. Don't mount the aholewagon unnecessary.

You really think Skyrim is coming to the Switch? That's sad.

Not already developed, but at least they show stuff in development. What Nintendo did was show Skyrim 1000 times even though Bethesda isn't working on it (yet).

And I'll say it again 400$ for a handheld gaming device is way too much.

Considering what we've seen so far it will most likely launch at 300$ (or at most 350$ if the screen is better than what's being speculated). The Shield Pro is 300$ too and it has around 1Tflop for it's GPU with an 8 core custom ARM CPU.
FYI the Shield also has a stand, wireless remote and a normal controller. sounds familiar? :D

Not already developed, but at least they show stuff in development. What Nintendo did was show Skyrim 1000 times even though Bethesda isn't working on it (yet).

Considering what we've seen so far it will most likely launch at 300$ (or at most 350$ if the screen is better than what's being speculated). The Shield Pro is 300$ too and it has around 1Tflop for it's GPU with an 8 core custom ARM CPU.
FYI the Shield also has a stand, wireless remote and a normal controller. sounds familiar? :D

Sure it might be similar, but to play candy crush or android developed games? Sorry but I would pick Nintendo dedicated environment over it anytime, which more than justifies that extra hundred bucks to me at least, I'm not saying other people should be on the same page :)

Btw I've never even mentioned Skyrim, so hold your panties. I'm talking about the Nintendo classics, Mario, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Zelda, there has even been Final Fantasies talks, anything aside that is just bonus :)

Going to need a lot more info on how portable is this.

Does it need the dock to charge?

It's been rumored that the battery lasts around 3 hours un-docked.
Which is not hard to believe since nVidia shield has about 3 hours of battery life while gaming, and the Switch is using the same stuff in that.

$400 for a handheld? I don't know maybe there are enough people out there that will buy it @ 400 USD, but I will probably pass.

Back