Nintendo cashes in on nostalgia with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's GameCube controller...

Polycount

Staff

If you miss the days of sitting around your living room TV to beat up your friends in Super Smash Bros. Melee, you wouldn't be alone.

The GameCube title was incredibly popular, and for good reason - in addition to being a much more polished, expansive, and at times brutal beat-em-up than the original N64 game, Melee had one particularly great thing going for it: The GameCube controller itself.

The controller was widely praised for its comfort and ease of use, which is part of the reason it was available for use in the next Super Smash Bros. game for Wii, Brawl.

Nintendo also sold adapters for the Wii U's Super Smash Bros. title. With that in mind, it's unsurprising to see the company bring the controllers back for the Switch's upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Nintendo of Europe today announced that Ultimate's Limited Edition will ship with a GameCube controller and an accompanying 4-slot dock. The dock will plug into the Switch console itself, seemingly allowing for up to 4 GameCube controllers to be used at any given time.

It's not clear how much the Ultimate Limited Edition will cost, but it will release "alongside" the base game on December 7 this year.

If you'd prefer to pick up an Ultimate-edition GameCube controller and its accompanying adapter as two standalone products, you can pre-order the devices for $30 and $20 respectively on Amazon.

Permalink to story.

Why are there six characters on a single 2-D battlefield? Are some of them "summons"? Why are proprietary Sony characters in there whose games were never on Nintendo? So confusing.

Why are there six characters on a single 2-D battlefield? Are some of them "summons"? Why are proprietary Sony characters in there whose games were never on Nintendo? So confusing.
Have you not played the WiiU version? SSB supports up to 8 players (in certain large levels).
And Snake isn't owned by Sony, but by Konami (from what I remember).

Love the title, Nintendo cashes in on nostalgia LOL ... well duh they did since they started the current nostalgia craze with their own consoles.

Love the title, Nintendo cashes in on nostalgia LOL ... well duh they did since they started the current nostalgia craze with their own consoles.

I wouldn't call this cashing in on Nostalgia since both these products have been available for years for people obsessed with Smash Brothers. They've been supporting this controller for Smash Brothers for every system after the Game Cube.

I don't know, I just feel that nostalgia is a very, very wrong use of words, especially for two old products that have been in production for probably over 7 years that's mainly going to be bough by Smash Brother players for comfort during competitive gaming, rather and not your average Switch users.

Back