Nintendo Switch held all 30 positions for best-selling games for the first week of August

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Nobody will argue that the Switch has been a runaway success for Nintendo. As of this writing, consumers have purchased 89 million units, and with an upgraded OLED Switch landing on shelves in October, it doesn't look like sales will be slowing anytime soon.

Game Data Library noticed that the Nintendo Switch swept Famitsu's Top 30 Best Selling Console Games list for the week of August 8. Every title listed belonged to the Switch. The hybrid handheld is undoubtedly popular in Japan, but PlayStation and Xbox lineups usually pepper the list as well.

The last time a single console took every slot in Famitsu's top 30 was in 1988, when the Nintendo Entertainment System was dominant. There were also several occasions thoughout the 1990s where Nintendo swept the list, but it was with multiple consoles.

The top five games and their sales for the week are Minecraft (14,912), Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (13,873), Crayon Shin-Chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi – Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi (13,798), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (13,615), and RingFit Adventure (12,282). Most of the titles are Nintendo exclusive, but a few third-party franchises snuck into the list, including Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest.

Even though the Switch is not a direct competitor with next-gen consoles, it seems to be doing quite well against them, especially in its home country. It will be interesting to see if the modestly upgraded OLED Switch contributes to the handheld's continued strong growth.

Permalink to story.

What makes me laugh is some people think the steam deck is going to compete with this thing. The switch is easily the best console around at the moment and that’s mostly down to the games. 2017s Zelda: Breath of the Wild is still the newest of the best games ever made. Absolutely nothing touches Mariokart, Smash Bros and in me and my friends case, Mario Tennis at local multiplayer. There is no competitor to Mario whether it’s 2D or 3D. The switch is also the only gaming my girlfriend does.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a PC gamer more than anything but PC gaming has stagnated of recent in both hardware and software. The last great game I played on PC was RDR2 and that’s approaching 2 years old now.

The last great game I played on PC was RDR2 and that’s approaching 2 years old now.
Agreed, but pretty much all the Switch titles that you've mentioned were actually released in 2017-2018, making them similarly old...

Agreed, but pretty much all the Switch titles that you've mentioned were actually released in 2017-2018, making them similarly old...
Thats true. I can’t think of any great Nintendo games that have released in 2020-2021 that aren’t just Wii U ports, although skyward sword for switch was apparently the best selling game in the USA in July. There are probably some other games but I’m not aware of it. Still I do have faith that the games developers at Nintendo will be able to do more magic when their next console drops. If Bowsers Fury is an indication of things to come then it will all be good.

Back