1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo to reportedly double down on Switch production

By Shawn Knight ยท 18 replies
Mar 17, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Nintendo is reportedly planning to double down on production of its new Switch game console following a very promising first two weeks on the market.

Sources familiar with the matter tell The Wall Street Journal that assemblers under contract with Nintendo are now planning to manufacture at least 16 million systems in the fiscal year starting April 2017. That’s up from the initial plan of just eight million machines, the people said.

The sources say Nintendo seems confident it can sell significantly more than 10 million Switch consoles within the first 12 months on the market. If realized, that level of performance would top the expectations of most industry analysts.

Nintendo is expected to share first-month sales figures and its guidance for the coming year during its next earnings report on April 27.

The Switch went on sale worldwide on March 3 with a relatively slim launch lineup. The system’s saving grace, however, appears to be The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild which has received excellent reviews thus far. While the launch lineup may have been perceived by some as a shortcoming, it conversely means that Nintendo has several other major titles waiting in the wings to boost Switch sales down the road (Super Mario Odyssey immediately comes to mind).

Now, if they could just do something to address the continued shortage of the NES Classic Edition

Permalink to story.

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 846   +102

I was tipsy and going to buy one a few days ago, but no stores had them in stock *hic*.

3. Kotters

Kotters TS Booster Posts: 156   +94

Got mine, been having a blast.

Reehahs and motrin like this.
  4. motrin

motrin TS Booster Posts: 161   +13

Been playing with mine since launch day, even have taken to work a few times. Co workers were jelly..

Kotters likes this.
  5. texasrattler

texasrattler TS Addict Posts: 210   +58

A cheaply built, low quality product, im sure almost no one was jealous. Wait till the original ones start breaking, the complaints will never end.
    The overhyped Switch will likely fail. Nintendo wont even come close to selling 16 milion units. I doubt they sell over 6 million.
    Whats funny most of the sales wont happen till mid summer cause of Splatoon 2 and then at Xmas for Mario Odessey. If the Super NES comes out like most think it will, that will hurt the Switch a lot.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,880   +2,828

And when sales suddenly dry up next month they find themselves sitting on a toilet full of junk they can't move.

Reehahs and Evernessince like this.
  7. J spot

J spot TS Booster Posts: 96   +38

Not getting a Switch anytime soon, but have been following the comments in various websites. What I find the most compelling thing about the Switch are the very salty Nintendo haters. On one side you have people who are really enjoying it, and then on the other side, you have people will never buy it because it's from Nintendo. And even though it's a system they will never buy, it has had them in a really foul mood, and they really, really, want it to fail with all their heart.

Like, I really, really enjoyed Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, and it's an interesting concept for me that some people will never enjoy such a game, or any other Nintendo game because of this emotional reaction that they have towards a company.

Agnomen and Kotters like this.
  8. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 2,672   +1,435

Booorrrriiiinngggggggg ........

9. petert

petert TS Booster Posts: 160   +43

I usually think very low of these but saw one last week running Zelda I think. Was ok, though bulkier than I expected it to be

10. amstech

amstech IT Overlord Posts: 1,695   +858

With Nintendo it's not about top of the line hardware, its about top of the line games.
    It must piss some people off that Breath of the Wild is a better game then anything on their PS4 or high powered PC.
    Xbox's die left and right and even my coveted Gen 1 PS3 died last year.
    My SNES and N64 still boot up perfectly.

Why so pissy about Nintendo?

Kotters and Reehahs like this.
  11. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,727   +965

The Witcher 3 says hello.

BoTw is literally the only good game on the platform out of only a handful of games. If their strategy was really good games and not hardware they failed there as well. One game does not constitute games.

FYI BoTw is a good game but it's definitely riding a massive hype train. People are touting it up because they feel a need to justify their purchase of an overpriced tablet with one game. BoTw doesn't break any molds (except for the classic Zelda mold).

12. amstech

Pretty good game there, but not a launch title.
    It's also a port.

The console has been out for 2 weeks.

The console has been out for 2 weeks.

The console has sold out everywhere.
    One good game is better then 12 shitty ones or generic ports.

Your probably too young to remember most consoles launches but you may remember the PS3 launch.
    It had about 12 games, the best one being Resistance: Fall of Man. PS3's were $600 and that console took months to pickup steam, just as an example.

It's an amazing game that breaks most of the old Zelda molds.
    Techspot have an article with 3 videos showing the making of the game, if only every title got this type of 4-5 year effort!

Kibaruk and Reehahs like this.
  13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,830   +1,143

Nintendo came out and said that they were staggering their big titles because on the wii u they released a bunch at launch and people were complaing that they had hardly any big releases after that.

I dont think nintendo realized, or maybe they just dont care, that people wanted MORE games, not the same amount of games spread out across more time. Just stupid. I dont know how they expect the post-launch sales to keep up without a library of great games.

I WANT to like the switch. I just need more than 5 games in its lifespan that id want to play...

14. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,031   +787

I would argue the PS3 took more like 3 years to pickup properly! The launch of the PS3 was terrible. The Switch launch has been 100x better!

15. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,031   +787

NINTENDO MAKES GREAT HARDWARE!

16. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,727   +965

"The console has been out for 2 weeks" sounds like an excuse. Doesn't change the fact that games are skimp, very skimp.

"Pretty good game there, but not a launch title."

who said it had to be a launch title? We should all just ignore all the other games on the market because Nintendo? Remember, you said

"It must piss some people off that Breath of the Wild is a better game then anything on their PS4 or high powered PC."

You went from "a better game than anything on their PS4 or high powered PC" to "oh snap, there are better games. I should try to make it look like I meant launch titles only!"

"Your probably too young to remember most consoles launches but you may remember the PS3 launch.
    It had about 12 games, the best one being Resistance: Fall of Man. PS3's were $600 and that console took months to pickup steam, just as an example."

Wow, you must think I'm very young but you are quite off base. The PS3 didn't just take months to pickup steam, it took it's entire life-cycle and by the last two years when it actually started to hit it's stride thanks to it's more powerful hardware it was still getting beatdown by the Xbox 360 simply because of developer support and console base.

"It's an amazing game that breaks most of the old Zelda molds.
    Techspot have an article with 3 videos showing the making of the game, if only every title got this type of 4-5 year effort!"

That to me sounds like you are riding the Hype train. Honestly take a step back, collect your thoughts about the game, and then come back here and comment about what makes BoTw, in your mind, a must have over every other open world game currently out.

texasrattler likes this.
  17. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 2,343   +819

It's been confirmed that the SOC is just an Tegra X1 running at lower clocks for both the GPU and the CPU. It's pretty sad considering that Nintendo is asking 300$ for it.
    I've also done some math based on prices available for me online right now (buying between 1 to 200 chips) and it would have cost Nintendo ~10-14$ more to switch (pun not intended) from 32GB to 64GB. I'm sure they have much better deals than what I found.

Evernessince likes this.
  18. amstech

That doesn't make any sense or counter anything I said.

That doesn't make any sense or counter anything I said, it just makes your negativity look worse.
    Having a game that is as good as anything out on any platform at launch is pretty impressive for a launch title.

I don't judge a game until I play it.
    Although the reviews everywhere are pretty similar.
    I am not on any bandwagon but I will always love Nintendo for making great games and being a cornerstone in helping shape the console gaming industry. They also are responsible for the greatest console of all time, the N64.
    This is a little older now but it would still apply:
    http://www.geekwire.com/2014/geek-madness-console-wars-nintendo-64-greatest-console-time/

Am I rooting for Nintendo to succeed? F*ck yeah I am, I would love to play a new Metroid or Kirby.

19. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,127   +811

A single game from the loved by everyone category of franchises was enough to make the Switch run out of stock everywhere... wait until there is the Mario, a Smash Bros and whatnot (I would say Mario Kart but it's only a port from the U).

I do not know why all the hate.