No boot sector on hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
No bootable device-strike F1 key to retry boot, F2 for set-up utility

Both of these errors are what I get when trying to start up my laptop.

Well to start off I should probably say that I am trying to install a new hard drive. My last one kept giving me a blue screen when trying to boot up so I bought a new hard drive. So after installing the new hard drive and more memory I put the Window's XP cd and this message is as far as I get. Can anyone help???? I do not have any access to the internet while at home so I am having to go to the local library to get on the internet. Not really to much fun so I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get

If this is a brand new drive that did not come in a fancy box, you likely need to go to the drive manufacturer's web site to download their setup utilties. They are usually required on new OEM drives that are not sold in regular places like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, CompUSA and such.
Once setup with the manufacturers software, which takes less than a minute, you should expect no further trouble.
Otherwise, it was probably damaged in shipment, and will be covered under warranty.

RAYBAY- Thank you for helping me with this, but I looked through their web site and do not know what to get. It is a fujitsu hard drive model no :MHV2120AH Can you help me find the correct download

"So after installing the new hard drive and more memory I put the Window's XP cd and this message is as far as I get."

At this point it shou;d be booting the cdrom, check your bios settings make sure
1) hard drive is recognized by bios
2) cd is first boot selection, not harddrive

save settings and xp cd should boot and find your drive and format it during install.

no matter the drive you do not need maufacturers set programs, as you found out some don't even have any such programs

OK now I have new problems.....

I am getting quite a few errors but all of them are at a blue screen here are a list of them

Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area

acpi.sys F8489CD2 base @ F84700 DateStamp 3b7d8550

Config_initialization_failed

Exception occured in Delldiag.exe! Warning no line mapping found press any key to abort

Here is the location for the Fujitsu hard drive utilities: //www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/support/utilities.html

But as with ceegee, I think we need to know your brand, and model, of computer along with other specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back