No boot with second hdd and DVD drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic-5150

Hey,

I've got a dual hdd set up, worked great until I RMAed the RAM and MB, now I can only boot if the DVD drive and second hdd are disconnected. I tried setting the second one as a slave and the other one as a master, but got nothing.

Master drive is a WDC Raptor 10,000rpm 74GB
Slave is a Maxtor d540x-4k (yea I know it's very old, but it works)

the slave drive and DVD drive are IDE and the WDC drive is a SATA

Specs:

Intel DQ35JO LGA 775 Intel Q35 Micro ATX
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
ZOTAC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit

If you need any more information let me know,

Thanks in advance, Medic

Thanks for replying, I checked over the thread again

Slave is a Maxtor d540x-4k
Can you disconnect this

And just have the Slave (or IDE0) HardDrive installed (in CS too) ?

It's just that you didn't say, if you have tried without the CD/DVD drive

I tried a brand new IDE cable, one that came with the motherboard, and when I do that my BIOS does not recognize the Master Drive, with the OS on it so it does not boot. I tried just disconnected the slave drive, and got the same problem, only the BIOS saw no hdd, jsut the DVD drive.

What do you mean by CS?

On the IDEthe slave drive is on the connector labeled Drive 1, and the DVD is IDE0

"CS" : Cable Select
On the jumper on the ATA Drives (instead of Master: "M" )

Did you try with only one connected (ie just the IDE HardDrive and Sata HardDrive)

Hangon!

IDE is enabled in CMOS isn't it?

You will need to press a key (like DEL) on system startup, to enter CMOS

Alright, I got it working, all except the DVD drive, which I want to replace anyways, since it's ancient. If you don't mind would you be able to recommend a HSF? Mine's not working so well, all 4 cores are running in the mid 50's and it's not even overclocked, which I want to do eventually. The socket is 775, and I don't have a lot of room around the processor, ram is very close as is the MD cooling system, along with the fx card. There is a lot of room coming straight off of the processor though, so as long as it is tall it'll work but not short and fat...

Thanks for your help,

Medic

Sorry cannot advise on what to purchase, too many possibilities of error (on my behalf)

Although this nifty little (online scanner) tool, is good to see what you can get (at least from one retailer (with sponsered links) A lot of users like it.
It'll scan your computer, and if you click on your CPU, and then go to the recommended page, you'll see what can fit. (let me know what you think)
http://www.powerleap.com/downloads/exe/InSPECS.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back