No display or mouse/keyboard functionality

OCSS_Andrew

I recently rebuilt my computer with refurbished parts from another pc that I had laying around, which so happenly have parts that were upgrades for me.

Brought my computer to work so I can run updates and use the ridiculous bandwidth to reinstall all my games and such. I download Guild Wars 2 and it runs just perfectly on the best settings. I go to check up on customer computers at the same time, as I walk back to my back office, I see my computer quickly shut down. I was a little surprised but it wouldn't let me at all turn the computer on unless I waited for it to cool down. 5 minutes later it lets me boot up, and it runs just fine with no problems. I investigated what could have caused the sudden boot-down, I reran guild wars 2 and let it sit around while I was watching the temps.

The computer was running at around 60-61 Degrees C. Naturally I turned the computer off and unmounted the CPU so I can apply a good layer of thermal paste to reduce some of the heating. I remount the heatsink/ fan and go to turn it on but now the computer isn't displaying anything and the razor keyboard and mouse don't light up/ respond at all. I replaced the PSU with a brand new one from my shop just to see if it might have been it because I knew it was starting to smell wicked. I really cant figure out what I could have done between applying the thermal paste and reassembling it that could cause the USB bus's to not work and the display in both my Gcard and Integrated Graphics.

Oh, and yeah I already tried using a different monitor, 3 different ones around the computer shop actually.

Yes it is, I have already performed a breadboard of the system and narrowed it down to 2 things, the CPU and the Motherboard. I think that the motherboard got shorted when I reinstalled the CPU and Heatsink. I must have not seated the cpu & heatsink to the board properly.

Also im not getting a post beep when I have 1 memory chip, video card and processor hooked up during the breadboard.

Pull all memory and power on. You should hear constant beeping. If you hear nothing, I would go after the motherboard before suspecting the CPU

Yeah, I actually had done that before and was given a beep code (One short, one long) I tried it just now and it ended up being silent. Heavily considering it to be the motherboard.

When you re-installed the CPU and heatsink did you apply just a very small amount of thermal compound to the CPU, after cleaning of the old paste?

Not a very small amount, a good layer all around to all four corners and over the surface area of the cpu. altho I did put alittle too much because the thermal dribbled off the sides.

Sounds like way too much. Too much thermal compound can act like and insulator, keeping the CPU hotter than necessary

Ah ha, well ill remember that from now on. Hopefully after the holiday season ill have my pc back up and running. Thanks for your help Tmagic650

Yes just a tiny pea sized amount right in the middle of the CPU die... The pressure of the installed heat-sink will spread the paste out thinly and evenly over the whole die surface, and not over-lapping the dies edges at all

Back