No Flash in Android 4.1, no new installs for any version after August 15

Leeky

Flash support is set to end on Android after Adobe announced on its official blog that it has no plans to release a certified Flash build for Google's imminent Android 4.1 Jelly Bean mobile OS. What's more,  the company actually plans to stop handset owners from downloading it from the Google Play app store altogether beginning mid-August.

The move follows an announcement last November in which Adobe openly said it wanted to ditch mobile Flash in favor of HTML5, as the software giant considered that to be the best solution for browsers across different smartphone platforms.

As of August 15 Flash will no longer be available on Google Play for any version of Android, although the Photoshop creator did say it would continue to offer updates for those that have ICS or older versions and have it installed after the deadline.

"The Flash Player browser plug-in integrates tightly with a device’s browser and multimedia subsystems (in ways that typical apps do not), and this necessitates integration by our device ecosystem partners," Adobe wrote.

There will be no Jelly Bean support whatsoever, and Adobe even went as far as to say those updating from ICS should remove Flash prior to downloading and installing Jelly Bean due to a chance it "may exhibit unpredictable behavior, as it is not certified for use with Android 4.1."

It is also worth pointing out that Apple famously refused to have Flash available on iOS, although it remains to be seen what sort of effect it will have on new devices due for launch running the latest Android OS, like Google and Asus' Nexus 7 tablet.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this: Do you think the lack of Flash on devices running Android's Jelly Bean will make a significant difference for those using them?

Permalink to story.

Looks like Jobs was right after all? Flash will eventually die out in favor of HTML5. Windows phone users are next.

Windows Phone will never support Flash. Not because it can't, but because it's not worth it.

That's kinda sad for flash. I remember myself creating swf movies. It is not that bad (sorta overloaded by adobe). But, in favor of HTML 5 I'll be happy to let it go.

I personally would love to see flash go by the wayside. I only wish content providers would hurry up and switch over to HTML5. There are several sites I visit at least weekly that are stubbornly committed to buggy flash.

Wish it would leave on the desktop side too. In both Win 7 and OS X I often see "the plugin has crashed" in Opera 12. Maybe its just Opera, or Opera 12, but I've had issues with Flash before, just now the browser reports it rather than hanging.

I backed up my Adobe Flashplayer.apk today just in case I still want it after August 15.

^Job's may have said that, but he said it at a time it was still the number one choice.

That's kinda sad for flash. I remember myself creating swf movies. It is not that bad (sorta overloaded by adobe). But, in favor of HTML 5 I'll be happy to let it go.
The cartoon, Bob's Burgers, is made entirely with flash so it is definitely not a useless or defunct product...

That's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. I can't say that Flash is worse than HTML5 or vice versa because I don't know enough about either. I can tell you that I have seen some AMAZING sites created with Flash. Meaning, in my eyes, Flash can be used really well in the right hands. I'm sure the same can be said for Silverlight and HTML5.

What ?!!
Why should I continue using my Android phone if it is not going to support flash anymore?

Thanks Adobe, you are forcing me going back to iPhone.

What ?!!
Why should I continue using my Android phone if it is not going to support flash anymore?

Thanks Adobe, you are forcing me going back to iPhone.

And how exactly Adobe is pushing you back to iPhone? HTML5 has potential though developers are still struggling with it due to the slow transition to modern browsers.

Well I still can't get the idea of iPhone (It's costly for the level of hardware and same goes for RIM). There was a time when Apple revolutionized the smart phone concept, especially with the unveiling of iPhone 3G. But after that stunning product, iPhone 4S has partly lost the charisma. In my point of view, Apple has applied too many restrictions to the software that's not the choice for the explorer sort of people. It gives me the feeling of owning a device with hands still tied. Damn I paid the money for device including software and hardware, why can't I change even the default browser without the help of jailbreaking. Opensource software is the only answer to that.

That are exactly the reasons that pushed me to move from iPhone 4 to Android 4, but all of them were fake!

Android is not anything about hardware, it is only an OS on crappy hardware manufacturers.
Apple is both high quality hardware and software, something I ignored!

1) Hardware quality? Samsung Galaxy nexus is a piece of crap. crashed every week, I have to reboot it. How? after waking up, I have to remove the battery to reboot. Isn't it crap? Never happened during 2 years of working with iPhone!
2) Flash support? Not anymore after upgrading to Android 4.1!
3) Amazing Firefox? No flash support on Android, until now, after the last version!
4) HTML5? it is supported on both iOS and Android.

Now tell me why should I stick to Android, when I have everything there...

Back