Resolved No icons on desktop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liambower

Hi,
so i've been asked to fix a friends laptop, and im stuggling to find a soloution.

The problem is that there are no icons on the desktop, i cant add new icons too the desktop, they just disapear, everything else on the laptop works okay.

its an ACER aspire 5315 running windows vista basic.

Any ideas would be much apreciated
thanks

Liam, you're really in the wrong forum for this. But give this a try:

Right click on any empty area of the desktop> go to 'Arrange icons by...'> be sure "show desktop icons" is checked> you can also click on 'lock desktop icons.'

We do malware cleaning in this forum. It sounds more like you have a system problem. Please re-post in the Windows OS forum if this doesn't work. If they have you check the appropriate settings and think it could be a malware problem, you will be referred back here.

use <ctl><alt><del> to get the taskmgr and then
click applications
file->run->explorer​
you should then get the normal desktop w/icons

jobeard, I'm using Firefox. When I choose the Apps tab, all I get is 2 running processes> TechSpot and this thread. There are 3 'choices' at the bottom:
End Task
Switch To
New Task> so I'm guessing that I type File in New Task> Run> Explorer. Is that right?

i think his problem is solved..

if just the icon.. just do as mr. jobeard stated..

but if it doesn't work.. it might be another bored malware.. ;)

Hi,
I've tired making sure that show desktop icons is checked and its not that exploere.exe isnt running because i have the start bar there as normal, the icons are appearing in the desktop folder but not actually on the desktop, the reason i thought that it was some kind of malware was my friend said they had been getting a load of trojans etc on it.

Hi again,

i've just found the problem, it was that there was a file that someone had put in the registery to hide all the desktop icons, i just deleted it and all the icons were there as they should be.

heres the link i used:
Registry hack link has been removed

thanks for the help
(sorry if i posted this in the wong place)

Thank you for the update. It would have been better if you had not put a hyperlink in for a registry Hack. Someone new might click on it and get it trouble, so I've removed the link.

@bobbye..
i think he just wanna share his discovery, and it's not hack after all. if he accessed through the registry and not using any apps. well i think its kinda like the " fix " not " hack " side.

@liambower
you should not redirect your thoughts by just giving anonymous links, maybe others would take it the wrong way around. might mess them up.. MODs doesn't like that, me either. ;)
. i think you are talking about policies. and its easy manipulating wrong policies using malwarebytes ( https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html ).. i hope my link would not be removed.. lol..

show some love people.. ;)

license27kill, the link you left is for Malwarebytes, one of the 3 programs we use for preliminary scanning. Had it been necessary, this poster would have been referred to the thread that contains Mbam.

You should probably focus before you make a reply. On one hand, you chastise me for removing the link and on the other, you tell the posted that 'anonymous' links shouldn't be left. The link was specific, not anonymous and it referred to a hack. Just because it didn't require a specific program does not make it any less of a 'hack.'

First, just wanted to say i can see everyone's point-of-view and i respect all the consistent good and hard work Bobbye does to cleanup everyone's infested machines in these forums!

But just wanted to add i think sometimes the words "hack" and "tweak" are used interchangeably when the intent is not malicious (e.g. registry hack can = registry tweak) especially when a simple regedit accomplishes the same as some mouse clicks

Thing is, when you spend all day looking for zebras, you find zebras! I'll leave that for you all to figure out!;)

@bobbye
never mean anything awkward. i like your hard-work in this site. all your post are very informative..
i think i had just skipped a page.
i guess you find my humor.. not so funny.. lol..
and i give you 2 thumbs up for that.. ahaha.. words of inspiration..

anyway.. that zebra thing leaves me bugging around.. i think cheetah is better to look for..

lol.. don't take me wrong.. im a friend.. ;)

I sometimes forget this is a global board and some of our expressions aren't understood by those not in this country. The expression roughly means 2 things to me: First, one shouldn't look for the complicated things when something simple might be right in their face- and then, more in the way I meant it> I look for bad entries in all the logs (those are the zebras) so I tend to see more of the bad entries than the good> at least in the context of this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back