No Internet connection - "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection"

I just reinstalled Windows XP professional (on my other computer), due to a viral disaster. I cannot access internet or email through that computer, but others using the router work fine. It says that the adapter card is working fine, but no IP address can be identified. I looked and found the driver installed, but could it be bad? The virus didn't impact the connection, but the re-install lost it. There is only the 1394.sys network connection. It lacks a "local area connection". I'll add more details as needed. Any suggestions? Thanks kindly. Let me know if I should be posting on a different forum.

Esoxfables

Check device manager and see if there's a network adapter visible under Network Adapters, it may not have the driver installed for that device.

No internet connection- "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection"

I checked the device manager and it said there was a 1394 Net adapter. The drivers were installed. I doubled checked by looking in windows/system32/drivers and found the nic1394.sys driver. The network connections identify the 1394 adapter only. It lacks a network called "local area connections".

What's the make and model of your computer?
Your Ethernet adapter is not being detected. Try re-seating or replacing it. If it's an onboard device you should be able to add a PCI card.

I checked the device manager and it said there was a 1394 Net adapter. The drivers were installed. I doubled checked by looking in windows/system32/drivers and found the nic1394.sys driver. The network connections identify the 1394 adapter only. It lacks a network called "local area connections".
the 1394 is for firewire devices (an alternative, hi speed version of USB) and is not used for Internet access.

Use the Device Mgr to disable it and that confusion will disappear.

While you are there, click on the [+] Network Adapters and you will see the 1394 and all other networking devices.
Your symptom implies that the Wifi or NIC adapters need the drivers reloaded

Back