No keyboard response in XP login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boneripper34

Hi

This is my first time using this forum, and i can only but prey for a quick response!

I rebooted my computer after installing bootvis (as i had problems with slow imapi and other important applications during boot). Suddenly my keyboard stopped working, and as i couldnt get past login screen (password) i had a big problem.
Tried a USB keyboard, but same problem.
I can enter bios and all just fine, but when login screen comes no buttons, not even num lock, caps lock or scroll lock responds (no lights).
Mouse works fine though... :suspiciou

PC specs :
MSI P965 Platinum socket 775.
PowerColor Radeon X1950XT 512MB
2 GB kingston ram DDR2 PC5300
1x 300 GB sata2 seagate hdd
1x 200 GB IDE seagate hdd
420W PSU
Labtec media keyboard
Microsoft habu

I thought it might be an Bootvis error (as it was the last thing i installed), but have find no indicators of this. The comp. should be malware and virus free, as i have gone through it often and kept safe.

Any suggestions?:confused:

Thnxs for the welcome:)

Yes i have tried going into safemode, but with no luck. As it loaded, same problem appeared at login screen.

I might add that i was stupid enough to think it might be a problem with drivers & such, so i decided to reinstall windows. upon entering the serial code for windows, the keyboard stops working again! and every time i reboot it auto-restarts setup...so im kinda stuck now!

If you boot with the XP cd in the tray are you able to cancel settup and retry to effect a repair install?

Thnxs, but it doesnt work. I only get an error message, and then it auto-reboots. It looks as though it might have removed vital files from the original install during repair install :(

If still able to navigate Bios, can you find an ESCD reset setting or a Reset Configuration Data feature (same thing diff name)?

OK -here's the thing.

The way I understand things, the bios controls the basic comp and the keyboard/mouse until the OS boots and it hands it off to the OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/usbhost.mspx

Now, booting from cd the only OS you have is the 'fake' one created to guide you through the install/repair. The existing hard drive OS isn't in play.

So, if the keyboard isn't seen by the install/repair OS, then the disk may be dirty or the driver missing.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it looks to me.

edit: or the mobo interface is gerfunkled but that seems unlikely here - was why I thought ESCD might help to shock the Bios

hmmm. still dont get things to work. As a helping hand towards the solution, i can say that the last thing i did before reboot was installing bootvis. I had some trouble with slow Imapi launch at startup, and thought i needed an analyse.

Could this be the cause. some sort of error in the prog. ended in removing keyboard functions? Or is that a farfetched theory?

I have just had the same problem on a machine that was new in January. Looking at the machine across the network I read the driver loading log and found that three .sys files were not loading. These files were, in the order they have to load, termdd.sys mouclass.sys and kbdclass.sys. When I looked at these files across the network I found that they reported a CRC data error on any function I used to rename, copy or open etc. The cure that I had to do was to remove the HD, a SATA 80gig, and fit it into a working XP machine as a second drive. I then did a chkdsk /f and found that these file reported a problem and chkdsk seemed to fix them. However after re-fitting the disk to the original machine they were re-corupted. The final cure was to refit the HD to a working XP machine as a second drive and run chkdsk /f again and then deleat and copy the three files from a good working machine. The copy function to get the files off the working machine was via a DOS boot disk with NTFS file reading functionality. This has cured the problem on the original machine, but I suspect that the problem was not a HD error but a virus/worm problem on the machine. This seems a long drawn out cure but the machine is on a company network and cannot be easly rebuilt.
Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back