No power to Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a Dell Optiplex SX280. He powered it down last night and this morning could not bring it back up. The monitor still works and powers on but nothing else. We've had a pretty bad ice storm up here with multiple power outages. I am thinking that his AC Adapter is more than likely fried as it doesn't light up when plugged in. Does this sound about correct? Are there any other problems to look for? How can I check the adapter to make sure? Thanks in advance

Couple of thing to ask if that ok

1, When you say the monitor works and powers on? what does this mean entirely. I'm guessing you just mean there is a light on the screen

2, Have you tried unplugging the computer from the mains? Unplug the power cable from the back and then press the power button in for about 20 seconds and then plugging in again

3, Have you also tried resetting the CMOS? Its weird that it should work but sometimes does. There some instructions of mine here under part 7.

See if it helps any way

PSUs commonly fail - I'd check it with a tester tool and multimeter. I have had some blow even when they were protected with a surge protector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back