No video card is showing up on DXdiag after driver update

Hey guys really appreciate your time. Well I was updating my sisters drivers for her
and now her video games won't work. AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4400+ 2.30GHz, 2GBram, 32bit os. Nvidia geforce 8400 gs.

I went to update hr drivrs from nvidia.com and nether of the newest versions worked. (driver 275.33 and 270.61)

After failed installations of both thse drivers
i went to run teamfortress2 on her computer to see if it had any effect at all,
all tf2 does is open up a small window where it starts to run though the "valve" intro credit and then the box automatically closes. Same thing has happened on cs 1.6 and her left 4 dead.
cs 1.6 WILL run in software mode but when switching to opengl or d3d it doesnt work -_-;
when i put in a disc such as oblivion it will bring up the initial run exe but then fails to load when i try to enter gameplace.

if you need any of the coding errors for that stuff just comment.

I went to roll back the drivers from the device manager but the "nvidia geforce 8400 gs" is now replaced with a unknown device... furthermore the video card doesn't even show up in dxdiag!

this is not a newly installed card,
none of the games work via steam or cd.
the drivers updates all failed at installing.
no dxdiag recognition.

please help my sister is gonna tear my face off
but more importantly i wanted to play tf2 xD!

thanks for any answers.

Got em.

Solved my problem,

went into the device manager, picked an older driver from the "browse for drivers" and found the correct match..

Turned out those new drivers were only partially installed and didnt even register on the automatic list from browsing.

<snip>
please help my sister is gonna tear my face off
but more importantly i wanted to play tf2 xD!

thanks for any answers.
Hi louie q

Good job finding a fix :grinthumb

Hope your sister left your face on :D

p.s. can sometimes be helpful to be cautious and first create a System Restore point before installing new drivers. But, of course, those are the things we think of after the fact ;)

Back