No video despite computer boot up

I just built a new computer for myself. I was pretty excited about it until I powered it on and had no video...at all.

Here are the specs:

Monitor - Samsung P2070
Video Card - GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Mobo - ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Power Supply - Antec TPQ-1200 1200W
Proc - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
RAM - CORSAIR XMS 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000

After it showed no video, I RMA'd the MOBO and Proc. I got them back yesterday, put them in today and I still have the same problem. I tried another video card, but it didn't work either. I know it works as it's the video card from my old computer. Any suggestions as to what else I can try? I'm going to try plugging it into another monitor when I get home.

No Video?

If you have replaced the motherboard and CPU, try another monitor, anything will do if it's ok. If still no video on second monitor, can you hear the PSU working? If you can hear the fan in PSU, take the RAM sticks out, leaving one stick in. (If you can see any text on the motherboard put the RAM in the DIMM 0 slot). Does it work now? If it does you know one of the RAM stick is faulty. Trial and error will prove it.

If you see POST screen, make sure you have the correct video solution selected in the BIOS. I've done this before with two video cards and had the wrong one selected in the BIOS as primary.

The monitor worked as a secondary monitor with my laptop and it works on my girlfriend's dell computer. Her dell monitor works with my computer, so I just switched them. I guess there was something wrong with the dvi port on the monitor, but it was so cheap, I don't feel like RMAing it cause they have since sold out and may or may not get more in. I used a VGA to DVI cord on her computer and the monitor worked fine, but wouldn't work on mine which was a straight DVI cord. I don't really understand it, but whatever. I'm just glad it works. The DVI cable that I tried on my monitor is the same one I'm using now, so I can only conclude that it was the monitor... I really don't understand it.

Back