No Video Input

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched the internet using my wife's laptop to see if I can figure out what's wrong with my computer, but I have not come up with a solution so I am hoping someone here can help out.

My computer has been working great for about a year now. I wasn't inside the case messing with anything and I didn't change any configurations prior to the problem.

A couple days ago, my screen just froze. I wasn't even using it at the time. After waiting for a very long time I hit the reboot button. When the computer came back on there were no error beeps and all I get is the message "No Video Input" on my monitor.

I have tried changing monitors.
I have tried reseating the Video card.
I have tried different power and video cables to the monitor.
I have tried a new video card.

None of that has solved the problem.

Any suggestions?

Well hopefully it's just a dead PSU, if not then it can be a dead cpu or a dead motherboard. Do you have an older PC you can swap in the power supply unit to try it out?

Go here and try out the procedures to see if the PSU is really dead.

Cheers.

I should have mentioned that I still get power when I turn the computer on.

When I turn the computer on, The red and green HD lights are on, everything that has a light...is on, the CPU fan is spinning, as well as the case fan and the lights on my sound card are flashing. For all intents and purposes it seems that the computer is on.

I just can't see anything on the monitor, except that little moving box that says "No Video Input."

Well if the video crad had just die a) you would hear beeps from the BIOS when it powers up. b) Replacing the video card should have worked.

It's not the monitor or the cables because you've replaced both of those.

It's either the CPU is totally fried at which point the PC doesn't even POST or the PSU has died in such a way as to not provide the 5Volt Power Good signal to the CPU, so it never comes out of reset on power up (thus mimicing a dead cpu).

can you borrow a PSU and swap it in? This is a much cheaper fix and alot easier then replacing the CPU.

Cheers.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU to test it so I think I am just going to bite the bullet and take it in to a computer shop and tell them to fix it.

I appreciate your time Kirock, but I'm tired of pissing around with this problem and I'm going to hand it over to an expert.

I miss the old days when fixing a computer was much simpler.

Because I haven't seen the same problem posted anywhere on the internet I will post the results here later, in case others end up with the same anomoly.

I pray you're right about the PSU, much cheaper than buying a new CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back