No video signal from new Asus motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am setting up a new ASUS M4A785T-M board and can't boot my OS because the bios is set wrong; I can't change the bios because I'm not getting a video signal. I'm using a VGA monitor/cable which I've verified are working with another laptop. The board puts out no video signal (as indicated by the monitor flashing the on/off light). I'm wondering if the board defaults to the more modern DVI format, or if I have a faulty card. Does anyone know if it defaults to DVI, or if there is any way I can get video to my VGA monitor?

You don't happen to be using a 140W Phenom II CPU are you? The motherboard supports up to a 125W CPU.

No, it's an 80W processor. I don't believe the power supply is a problem. It's 465W, which should be plenty (using the onboard graphics card), and I have nothing plugged into the board (hard drive and DVD are disconnected). Also, the board requires a minimum of 15A on the +12V line, the PS puts out 26A.

At your suggestion I tried pulling the battery and it made no difference. I'm just building this so I haven't made any changes to the BIOS. That's what I'm trying to do! Because I need to set the boot location.

My understanding is that there should be a flash screen for the board manufacturer no matter what else is going on. So I think so. I would like to try using the DVI video output to see if anything is coming out of it to see if it's just the VGA port. I think I'm taking it back to the store to get them to trouble shoot it!

Thanks for your suggestions!

dpatch,
have you tried the suggestions given here. Like removing the CMOS battery. Do you have the ASUS M4A785T-M board too? If not, you can't have the exact same problem, can you...

Yes, I have the M4A785T-M CSM board. I had tried removing the CMOS battery. I'm using a 45W (x3 405e) processor and have plenty of power.

I connected a speaker and discovered that I got a beep code when no DIMM was installed, but no beeps when the memory was present. It turns out I had installed registered memory. I expect unregistered memory will fix it, and I'm just waiting for it to come in.

Yes, those ASUS boards are picky about memory types. I use un-buffered or unregistered memory in all my motherboards. I try very hard to stay away from ASUS myself, as I repair computers for a living

Yes, it was the registered memory that was the problem. With 2 sticks of unregistered DRAM it booted fine. I understand now that most motherboards are not compatible with both registered and unregistered memory, so I can't blame the board. I picked it because other people had experience using the same chipsets with Solaris (sata, audio, nic, etc.).

Glad you got it working. It is always wise to carefully check and follow a motherboards memory specs... Often, there is a bios update available, when a new motherboard is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back