Nokia 6 smartphone to land in the US next month

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member

HMD Global, the Finnish firm that purchased what was left of Nokia’s mobile phone business from Microsoft last year, is bringing its wares to the US. The company on Monday announced that it’ll make its US debut next month with the launch of the Nokia 6, a mid-range Android smartphone with respectable specifications.

The Nokia 6 features a 5.5-inch Full HD (1,920 x 1,080 resolution, 403 PPI) IPS LCD screen coated in Corning Gorilla Glass that’s driven by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 octa-core processor (eight ARM Cortex A53 cores) mated with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of onboard storage (expandable up to 128GB via microSD card slot).

The phone’s primary camera is a 16-megapixel shooter with an f/2.0 aperture lens and a dual-tone flash; the front-facing camera is a bit less impressive at just 8-megapixels.

HMD Global said the phone is crafted from a single block of 6,000-series aluminum that takes 55 minutes to machine. Once cut, the chassis is subjected to two anodizing processes that take more than 12 hours to complete and no less than five polishes. Needless to say, that’s a lot of attention to detail for a mid-range handset.

The Nokia 6 will be available in black or silver starting next month priced at just $229 via Amazon and will be followed by blue and copper-colored models later this summer.

Permalink to story.

yRaz

Nigerian Prince
I'm in the market for a new phone, I'll have to wait for some reviews but I'd love to pick this up especially at that price point. 3GB of ram seems like an odd number but I guess it isn't a deal breaker. I still think it should have 4gigs, ram is so cheap it seems kind of dumb. I'd easily pay $10 for that extra gig.

Hopefully my current phone will survive in the mean time! I'm literally super gluing the glass pieces back into place. I don't know how it still works but I wont argue.

Skidmarksdeluxe

TS Evangelist
I'm in the market for a new phone, I'll have to wait for some reviews but I'd love to pick this up especially at that price point. 3GB of ram seems like an odd number but I guess it isn't a deal breaker. I still think it should have 4gigs, ram is so cheap it seems kind of dumb. I'd easily pay $10 for that extra gig.

Hopefully my current phone will survive in the mean time! I'm literally super gluing the glass pieces back into place. I don't know how it still works but I wont argue.
Hopefully soon you'll discover that cases actually serve a very useful purpose.

Skidmarksdeluxe

TS Evangelist
It may be Nokia but the Nokia we all knew and loved is just a faded memory. There's probably no valid reason to choose this device over any other mid range device unless you're still enraptured by the name.

Reactions: Godel and emmzo

yRaz

Nigerian Prince
Hopefully soon you'll discover that cases actually serve a very useful purpose.
My phone was in my pocket with my keys. I wouldn't be that mad if I dropped it and it was my fault but I literally pull it out Of my pocket and it was broken. To add injury to I silt there were glass pieces in my pocket that cut my fingers when I reached in.

Skidmarksdeluxe

TS Evangelist
My phone was in my pocket with my keys. I wouldn't be that mad if I dropped it and it was my fault but I literally pull it out Of my pocket and it was broken. To add injury to I silt there were glass pieces in my pocket that cut my fingers when I reached in.
Yeah, that was unfortunate but these things happen. People obsess so much about these things being more of a fashion statement than a tool which in fact they really are, and manufacturers try to justify their extortionate pricing by manufacturing them from materials which are always unsuitable for day to day wear and tear... but they do look nice.
My old HTC One M8 still looks like the day it came out of the box without a single scratch, blemish or bump to be seen anywhere, even the screen is still pristine, in fact you'd think it was still brand new but that's just due to the fact that I used the case that it shipped with and that I never manhandled or dropped it, ever. A case detracts from a nice, new devices. appearance but it is a necessity.

yRaz

Nigerian Prince
Yeah, that was unfortunate but these things happen. People obsess so much about these things being more of a fashion statement than a tool which in fact they really are, and manufacturers try to justify their extortionate pricing by manufacturing them from materials which are always unsuitable for day to day wear and tear... but they do look nice.
My old HTC One M8 still looks like the day it came out of the box without a single scratch, blemish or bump to be seen anywhere, even the screen is still pristine, in fact you'd think it was still brand new but that's just due to the fact that I used the case that it shipped with and that I never manhandled or dropped it, ever. A case detracts from a nice, new devices. appearance but it is a necessity.
Well I use my phone almost exclusively for work and as someone who has a budget smartphone it is far from fashion for me. I didn't feel like paying $35 for the case at the store when I could get it on Amazon for $9. My phone broke the second day in had it, case came the next day.

So I'm far from the average person who cries about breaking their phone. I still would buy the case online again to save the $20 than give it to the store. I have broken phones even with high end cases on them. I average about 8-10 months per phone but this lasted me 2 days and I've had it for almost 3 months now. Phones are a tool for me and tools break. Broken phones are just a cost of doing business for me.