Nokia says Nexus 7 tablet infringes on their patents

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google announced the long-rumored Nexus 7 tablet during their I/O Conference last week. The device won’t be available until mid-July but that isn’t stopping Nokia from claiming the slate infringes on some of their patents with regards to Wi-Fi technology.

The Inquirer believes that the patents in question have to do with the IEEE 802.11 Wi-Fi standard. In a message to the publication, a Nokia spokesperson said they have more than 40 licensees under their standards essential patent portfolio which includes most mobile phone device makers. The problem is that neither Google nor Asus are licensed under this patent portfolio. The spokesperson said that companies who have not licensed up should simply approach them and sign up for licensing rights.

Google’s $199 tablet features a 7-inch backlit IPS display operating at 1,280 x 800 and is powered by a quad-core Tegra 3 processor with 12 GPU cores. 1GB of RAM comes standard while users can choose between 8GB or 16GB of onboard storage. The device will ship with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the latest Google OS revision highlighted by Project Butter. This initiative is said to improve overall system performance and reduce lag at virtually every avenue.

It is believed that Nokia will simply seek to have either Google or Asus sign up for licensing rather than try to impose legal injunctions against the tablet. For their part, Asus has refused to comment on the matter for now. No word yet on Google’s response.

Permalink to story.

This is getting to be total BS. I think they need to kick off a major patent purge and start removing crap like this.

Go to the patent search website. Search any two technology terms. Read some patents. Every F*CKING thing is patented.

That's why nokia is dead. They relied on the some BS patents and didn't innovate!

just a few words to nokia...Die Already!

Another victim of patent trolling even before launch.
This is getting to be total BS. I think they need to kick off a major patent purge and start removing crap like this.
Go to the patent search website. Search any two technology terms. Read some patents. Every F*CKING thing is patented.
That's why nokia is dead. They relied on the some BS patents and didn't innovate!

just a few words to nokia...Die Already!

to @Guest...
I'm sorry to inform you, but I OWN the patent on replacing the letter U with an * in the following terms.
f*ck
f*cking
f*ucked
So, if you will kindly send via paypal the amount of $1.02, I will promptly send my patent trolls to look elsewhere for a violation.

Geez, it's getting to the point, you can't BREATHE without a patent infringement.
And no one says we need tort reform?

You do know Nokia is not planning to sue Asus or Google, right?

You also do know Nokia is only seeking that both Google and Asus simply sign a licensing deal, right?

You also do know that this type of deal is one both Google and Asus (and Apple, and even Microsoft) are licencees of as consequence of other Nokia-owned patents, right?

Google is a very pompous and arrogant company. These are frand patents, the entire industry has agreed upon this. This is non-negotiable. If Nokia was charging a ridiculous amount for it like Motorla is trying to do, then it's a different story. I gather that they want the standard deal.

Asus will license it, Google will ignore them.

You also do know Nokia is only seeking that both Google and Asus simply sign a licensing deal, right?

Yeah, for technology that is standardized. That's like Ford taking every auto maker to court over patent infringement. The way I see it, if it is standard technology that is used by the masses, the patent should be thrown into the public domain.

Yeah, for technology that is standardized. That's like Ford taking every auto maker to court over patent infringement. The way I see it, if it is standard technology that is used by the masses, the patent should be thrown into the public domain.

Right, because IEEE 802.11 is not a standard....

(Granted, the article doesn't specify which Nokia-patented protocol was being violated.)

And why should it be thrown into the public domain? It's called intellectual property. One that falls under the FRAND licensing model, and one that Nokia is rightfully enforcing.

FRAND is precisely there to, in this case, allow OEMs to build their devices with FRAND-friendly, patented technologies from other companies (or OEMs), both promoting fair competition and innovation.

Notice how Nokia simply wishes to be paid royalties for the use of their technology, instead of suing and/or demanding a customs' ban against the Nexus 7.

The reason that the technology is standardized is because Nokia agreed that the patents would be FRAND. Fairly priced, no matter if you're the competition. That's the entire point of Frand. To make standards.

If you don't want to use someone else's tech, than use something else that you make. If Nokia doesn't want others using their patents, then they don't license them as frand. Either way, you pay or make your own.

I personally love USB and Wifi and Bluetooth etc... A world without FRAND patents is the Internet before Adobe Flash came around.

+1 lawfer
I suspect that the issue really lies with Google and its perpetual trouble with alleged "theft" of others intellectual property, which means that its OS will always be facing these issues, unfortunately the suffering party is ......... the manufacturers.

Back