Nokia "Sirius" Windows RT tablet detailed, set for September unveiling

Jos

Staff

Rumors about a Windows-based tablet from Nokia have been ongoing for months, and if recent leaks are any indication, the device could be just around the corner. Shortly after an alleged roadmap hinted at a September release, leaked images offered a first glimpse at a prototype sporting the Verizon, Windows RT, and Nokia logos. Now, sources speaking with The Verge are sharing some additional details on its design and internals.

The 10.1-inch device is said to closely resemble Nokia's Lumia Windows Phone products. It’ll be thinner than the current iPad, lighter at just over a pound in weight, and will feature a colored body.

Hardware specifications include Qualcomm's high-end Snapdragon 800 processor alongside 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage expandable through microSD, a 1920 x 1080 resolution display optimized for outdoor readability, 10 hours of battery life with LTE connectivity and both front and rear facing cameras sporting 2- and 6-megapixel sensors respectively. A couple of micro HDMI and micro USB ports round out the specs.

Codenamed “Sirius”, Nokia’s first tablet is designed to run Windows RT. That might be a risky bet considering Microsoft’s own Surface RT had an underwhelming debut and led to a $900 million write-off earlier this year. But the Finnish firm seems determined in backing the platform, which features a similar user interface as the full fledged Windows 8, without the ability to run legacy desktop software.

As you might expect, Nokia is reportedly planning to ship a keyboard accessory with its tablet, which includes a battery for additional charging, and other optional accessories will be made available at launch.

Although there are no firm pricing and availability details, The Verge says Nokia plans to announce the device at a September 26 event in New York, and it will be priced comparatively with Apple's iPad.

Permalink to story.

My worries: Price point --- we saw what happened when the Surface was priced comparatively to the iPad. It's Windows RT based, 32GB storage (since we know RT kicks that down to around 18GB of usable storage), a rather lower camera pixel count --- usually with a count so low, Nokia will not include its PureView Technology. I don't hate RT (heck, I own a Surface RT), but MSFT needs to pick up the ball and realize that the desktop does NOT belong on its RT OS. They need to take the time and make everything available in its modern UI (Office, Outlook, FIle Explorer, a true Control Panel [not PC Settings], etc). There's is no real reason for the desktop, other than registry tweaks & to do stuff you can't do in the new UI just yet. Windows 8/RT was shipped before it needed to and it's pretty clear. Even 8.1 isn't ready for shipment.

My worries: Price point --- we saw what happened when the Surface was priced comparatively to the iPad. It's Windows RT based, 32GB storage (since we know RT kicks that down to around 18GB of usable storage), a rather lower camera pixel count --- usually with a count so low, Nokia will not include its PureView Technology. I don't hate RT (heck, I own a Surface RT), but MSFT needs to pick up the ball and realize that the desktop does NOT belong on its RT OS. They need to take the time and make everything available in its modern UI (Office, Outlook, FIle Explorer, a true Control Panel [not PC Settings], etc). There's is no real reason for the desktop, other than registry tweaks & to do stuff you can't do in the new UI just yet. Windows 8/RT was shipped before it needed to and it's pretty clear. Even 8.1 isn't ready for shipment.

I agree that everything needs to be available in the modern UI, but in the same way that command prompt is still around, I think the desktop needs to stick around as well. I really don't think that having the desktop included makes any impact on whether RT sells. The bigger issue is marketing and apps apps apps.

I keep seeing comments on the WEB that Office should be touch friendly.

QUESTION: Can you really make any word processor, speadsheet, etc touch friendly?
by nature word processing or a speadsheet means typing data into it. You can cut and paste pix graphics into Word, and you can use a stylus for handwirting.
I just thing certain office type applications require keyboard (if you pain you can use onscreen keyboard).

MSFT needs to pick up the ball and realize that the desktop does NOT belong on its RT OS.

On the contrary, the desktop is Microsoft's strength. I agree with you that Microsoft needs to make everything available from the tablet interface, but then it would still be just a mobile OS. Opening the desktop, on the other hand, would make RT devices into full PC's. Sure the ARM architecture limits compatibility, but Windows RT could be made to run standard .NET software out of the box, and if all it took to convert most programs to Windows RT was a recompile, that would have solved the software problem.

A Windows RT device that could be used as a PC, with a desktop and desktop software, would have a lot of added value over a device that's purely a mobile device. Microsoft already had the means to do that, and it's a pity that it chose to make the desktop in Windows RT useless.

QUESTION: Can you really make any word processor, speadsheet, etc touch friendly?

Touch friendly? Sure. Usable for a little bit of editing / text entry? Sure. Doing serious work without a physical keyboard? I don't think so.

But really, every tablet can be hooked to a keyboard, and I've used a word processor on my Nexus 7. On a 10" tablet a keyboard can even be reasonably comfortable for more serious work.

Nokia is bleeding cash and now they want to get into something that Microsoft just wrote down 950 million on? This will help put them out of business

MSFT needs to pick up the ball and realize that the desktop does NOT belong on its RT OS.

On the contrary, the desktop is Microsoft's strength. I agree with you that Microsoft needs to make everything available from the tablet interface, but then it would still be just a mobile OS. Opening the desktop, on the other hand, would make RT devices into full PC's. Sure the ARM architecture limits compatibility, but Windows RT could be made to run standard .NET software out of the box, and if all it took to convert most programs to Windows RT was a recompile, that would have solved the software problem.

A Windows RT device that could be used as a PC, with a desktop and desktop software, would have a lot of added value over a device that's purely a mobile device. Microsoft already had the means to do that, and it's a pity that it chose to make the desktop in Windows RT useless.

True, but if they're not going to do so then its pointless for it to exist. This thing just needs to be marketed a a tablet for play & work in office. That's why I feel the desktop doesn't need to exist so its easier for retailer to explaln & for regualr customers to understand. I think another major down fall is naming this thing "Windows RT". Microsoft had something going on here with Windows RT, Windows 8 & Surface, but they failed to deliver it in an effect way. Instead dancing & releasing a half-@$$'d operating system was what they thought would be a good idea. I was excited about everything they had coming, but I've grown fustrated with MSFT. I'm still rooting for them though.

Back