Not booting up at all

I have a Toshiba Satellite that's a few years old that was unfortunately updated to windows 10 shortly after getting it back in early 2014/2015... It's a C55D-B5310, that's about all I've got right now, since I haven't been able to turn it on since Thanksgiving. The screen got slammed shut and when I went to turn it back on and check and see if it was ok, I got to stare at "TOSHIBA" for a few hours before I realized nothing was going to happen...
I've tried EVERY F key on this computer, the only one that works is F12, and if I try HDD Recovery Boot, it just freezes up for a few seconds and ignores my request. If I hit no on HDDR, it will shut down the whole computer. So, then I have to go through the whole f12 thing again... I just recently tried LAN'ing it. Actually that's what I"m doing now as we speak... It switched between two messages "Start PXE on IPv6, Press escape to exit" and "Start PXE on IPv4, Press Escape to Exit". I hit escape on both of the messages, separate times, all that happened was it took me to a different screen that told me to reboot or boot with proper stuff and to hit a key to continue... Any time I hit any key it just kept repeating the message...
So, this time I just left it alone and now I'm just staring at a blank lit up screen and listening to the fan cycle....

Any suggestions??? Or should I just give up on it and scrap it

I should inform:

It's not my keyboard. I have tried 2 other USB keyboards. So unless all 3 of my USB ports and those keyboards (one of which I had just gotten with my desktop I purchased) were all malfunctioning, I'm not sure why I can't access any of the other Function Options associated with startup... And F12 does absolutely nothing....

Did you slam the lid closed because the laptop was already playing up? If so, try to remember what was wrong. The shock of slamming the lid down could well have cause a hardware issue. When it boots up you should be able to enter the bios by tapping F2. Once in the bios check that it is set up to boot from the hard drive first. Other than that I'd think about getting a workshop to check it over. Fixing a laptop is generally challenging and requires patience.

I did not slam the the screen down. But it was fine before the screen got slammed down, nothing was wrong with it other than it ran a little hot sometimes.
However, like I said. I have tried every single one of the F commands to get into the Bios and I cannot use any one of them but F12...

Don't really have the money to take it to a repair shop since I got this desktop it's not that big of a deal to get it fixed, just thought it would be nice to have it if I wanted to sit upstairs with the computer instead of in my room downstairs...

I was thinking maybe I fried the harddrive or something... Maybe I could get a cheaper new one and try that out, but I don't really want to waste the money on it

Thanks for your reply

Did you slam the lid closed because the laptop was already playing up? If so, try to remember what was wrong. The shock of slamming the lid down could well have cause a hardware issue. When it boots up you should be able to enter the bios by tapping F2. Once in the bios check that it is set up to boot from the hard drive first. Other than that I'd think about getting a workshop to check it over. Fixing a laptop is generally challenging and requires patience.

Well by the time you've replaced this and that the charge made by a workshop wouldn't look too bad. Damage to the hard drive is quite possible but why not check the bios settings first? The error message you saw is connected with a problem in the boot order set in the bios so maybe it died with the rough treatment. One of the best upgrades you can make to a laptop is to install an SSD hard drive but they are rising in price. You would need to be sure before getting one. This was a well specified laptop and worth keeping if possible.

Yeah, it was a great laptop. I'll have to figure something out and see about taking it to the shop up the street... Because I don't know enough about it to keep going through the F12 Boots... I can't access anything else and I've just been letting it sit. Thought about throwing it away, but I keep thinking I can get it to work eventually...
Guess I'll see what the store says because I really don't know whats up with the harddrive, and you're right the price is almost not worth it at this point...

Well by the time you've replaced this and that the charge made by a workshop wouldn't look too bad. Damage to the hard drive is quite possible but why not check the bios settings first? The error message you saw is connected with a problem in the boot order set in the bios so maybe it died with the rough treatment. One of the best upgrades you can make to a laptop is to install an SSD hard drive but they are rising in price. You would need to be sure before getting one. This was a well specified laptop and worth keeping if possible.

Back