Nothing is detecting properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thHorseMan

This problem has been driving me nuts for days! I'll start at the beginning.

Two days ago I decided to reinstall windows because a few system files had been damaged by a recent virus attack. I didn't format because I had gotten rid of the virus, and just wanted to fix the files that were causing me to get small errors. When I reinstalled XP, it fixed the errors i was getting, but it introduced an even worse problem.

For some reason windows started to act like my video card wasn't there, yet my 2d apps ran fine.OpenGL games would not run at all, and d3d games ran very slowly with little white spots all over the screen, and bigger white patches in other places. I tried to install the lasest nvidia drivers, and older versions but that didn't help. Out of ideas, I right clicked on the desktop and went to properties,on the settings tab i noticed that rather than saying "Cm615 on gf4ti4200" like it usually does , it now said "default monitor on". there was nothing after "on".it was really wierd. when i clicked on the advanced button and the adapter tab,it was completly blank. Convinced that these problems were caused by not doing a clean install i decided to format and install XPpro from scratch.

After formating my hard drive and running fdisk,I restarted to load CD-ROM drivers. but for some reason it would not detect my cd-rom. arrgggg!!!

help! i'm going insane!

edit:

oh and here are my specs

1300mhz athlon (not overclocked)
512mb pc133
gf4ti4200
Abit kt7 raid (raid isn't used yet)
Mitsui Cd-ROM
Pioneer DVD-rom (tried switching to both, and tried new ide cable)
20gb quantumfireball
10gbwd
sblive value

i've also tried to boot from the cd-rom by playing with the boot order... it didn't help.. probably not working because its not dectected

OK... so what stage are you currently at? You wiped the HDD and went to reinstall, but your CD-ROM drive isn't being detected??

First of all, try loading BIOS defaults, and then saving to the CMOS. You might have corrupted CMOS setttings.

<<OK... so what stage are you currently at? You wiped the HDD and went to reinstall, but your CD-ROM drive isn't being detected?? >>>

yes.

<<<First of all, try loading BIOS defaults, and then saving to the CMOS. You might have corrupted CMOS setttings.>>>

tried that....

btw,thanks for the quick reply... and ur help ...hopefully you have some more ideas...
check my orginal postif u need my specs

thanks.

OK.... CD-ROM drive not detected... have you opened it up and checked to see that the cables are firmly pressed in, both to drive end and motherboard end? Press them in again anyway. Sometimes heat causes them to inch out.

Run your machine with the cover off, and have a look inside and see if everything seems to be fine.

You might want to consider reseating some components, including CPU, RAM, graphics card, PCI cards, etc.

i have tried reseating the ide cable on both ends,andtried replaying it with a spare one... no luck... i have beenrunning mymaching with thecover off for the last day ( too much trouble to keep putting it back on.) I haven'tthought totry reseating my other components.... i'll try that *crosses fingers*

i tried changing cables(because the one that was connected was a little rumpled, althought it waswhen i installed itandits work for the last two years fine) but it didn'thelp..thanks for the suggestion...

Man.... I am starting to think that your plug and play BIOS is corrupted. That's pretty nasty.

You could try flashing the BIOS, but this is likely a physical fault on the motherboard - you could even have a blown capacitor.

Can you looking inside the case with a bright light, like a torch. Have a look for any blackness on any electronic components.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Man.... I am starting to think that your plug and play BIOS is corrupted. That's pretty nasty.

You could try flashing the BIOS, but this is likely a physical fault on the motherboard - you could even have a blown capacitor.

Can you looking inside the case with a bright light, like a torch. Have a look for any blackness on any electronic components.

Also look for swelling on capacitors, as well as anything that looks like it is "oozing" out of them.

this is what i most feared! nooo!!! damnit! no money, and my computer is busted!

please ! anyone got any more ideas!

STOPPING USING BAD LANGUAGE WOULD BE MY FIRST IDEA. THAT'S BANNED HERE! -Phantasm

ok i'll try that... and sorry for cursing... i'm just really frustrated. i really hope its not a blown capacitor. waiting's gonna be awful, if it is still even under warenty.. :(

....but the main thing is to remain calm and think about what it could be. Do you have some other components that you can try, such as graphics card, memory, etc...?

What POST tests does your machine fail now? Still the CD-ROM? Have you tried plugging it into another controller?

yeah i know calm... but when it takes this long to fix something onthe computer.. it usually ends up being a component... and when you said whati was thinking... arrgg!

anyway...... i flashed my bios, andi really thought it was going to work... because in the bios readme it said that it fixed a compatibility problem with the kt7, gf4ti4x00 and XP (which is my exact config) but it was a no-go.... same error... i can see the bios detect the cd-rom and harddrive when it starts up...

i've tried changing it to different controllers (primary, and secondary and as master and slave in all jumper configs)... perhaps i can change it to the raid controller... i haven't tried that yet... the ide raid controller will work with one drive (as a regular ide copntroller) right?

i fixed it guys... sorry i didn't post earlier....... i tired my raid plug and it worked fine... i hope my ide controller isn't busted ..thanks... good forum guys.. keep on helpin' newbs in need....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back