Noticable upgrade? 8800GTX to GTX280?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello,

I've got a decent spec pc, but I've recently bought a 1920x1200 monitor. Now some off my games run a lot slower (understandably).

I've got a 8800GTX at the moment, but I'm tempted to upgrade to a GTX280, is the jump big enough? Am I going to notice a dramatic speed difference?

If not, any ideas? I've got a CrossFire motherboard, but not SLI compatible...

Regards,

Alex.

hi there,
right now the GTX 280 and the 4780 x2 are running neck and neck as the fastest cards on the market, but yes you will see a big difference in the performance jump from the 8800 GTX, the 280 and the 4780x2 are among the few that can produce playable Framerates at higher res with the more intense games out there (crysis,far cry etc.

gtx 280 would really make u happy at 1920x1200 resolution..

at 1920x1200 its u'd get almost double the frames in farcry 2... goes from 29 to 55... so close to a 90% performance inc.
https://www.techspot.com/review/123-farcry2-performance/page4.html

at 1920x1200 u'd go from 38 to 57 fps which is a 50% inc in performance
https://www.techspot.com/article/125-fallout3-performance/page4.html

at the same resolution in crysis warhead u'd go from 15fps to 25fps which is like a 66% perf inc
https://www.techspot.com/article/118-crysis-warhead-performance/page3.html

^^ above numbers could differ if ur cpu is less than a q6600 performance wise

its a big jump.. 50% performance improvement can make or break a game for u.. so if u have the money.. i say go for it. unless u think u can stay happy for up to another year and w8 for gddr5 gpu from nvidia..

THIS would seem to indicate that upgrading to a GTX 280 would yield approximately 128.6% of the performance of the 8800GTX, or a 28.6% performance increase. I get this number by looking at the sum of total FPS across all tests.

Looking strictly at 1920x1200, we get, ironically, the exact same value of 28.6% performance increase.

28.6% is noticeable, certainly, but by no means is it a huge jump. Your choice on whether you want to shell out all that cash for 28.6%, but unless you want to play some terribly optimized games (read: Crysis), you won't notice it much. Anything that's already running at 60 FPS isn't going to show much change, and a good number of games fall into that category when you have an 8800GTX.

I agree Metal,however, look at the standard that 'terribly optimized games' like crysis have set, and the expotential rate of increase in GPU development. the folks writing these new generation of games know that the gpu resources are out there and they are only going to get more intense more rapidly so 'shelling out' for that 28% increase is a bit of immediate future proof for the next round or two of games. and what is 60+ FPS right now will soon be back to trying to attain a playable 30 fps when Crysis II comes out
Thats my theory anyway, Then again CPU/GPU fusion could blow my theory out of the water, what ya think?

Thanks for the help guys, maybe it would be easier if I said I could get a decent 280 for £300 ($500) and I'm selling my 8800GTX for £110 ($180 ish).

So I would effectively only be paying around $300...

And I have a q6600 at 3ghz by the way, so it shouldn't be bottlenecked by the cpu.

Regards,

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back