Ntldr big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

note235

I need help to make my computer work again. I dl and got the six boot floppies but my xp came with a preinstalled xp home.

If XP came preinstalled it likely came with some disks to 'restore', you may have to use those, just be sure NOT to format if you use that. That way you won't lose your data thats already there.

Ermm Sngx... a lot of those "recovery" disks totally fdisk, reformat, and reimage the drive, hosing you over. Stupid PITAs for sure.

Note.. can you be more specific about your problems? What happens when you try to boot? Any error messages? What have you tried so far??

Ntldr is missing crt alt delete to restart. I used com,mand linens and written a new boot sector already m,aybe formatted too.

maybe formatted???

You need to get your ideas straight in your head.

Have you tried bootin to a recovery console and running sfc yet? What exactly have you tried??

if your recovery disk contains the i386 files ( and it should) then you can repair the NTLDR by replacing it.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

To repair a damaged Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"

if you cant locate the file try borrowing someones XP home edition and use it.

I already tried formatting.
I dont have a xp cd. It came preinstalled. The recovery is just from the 6 microsoft boot disks.

if you have formatted what were you going to install since you dont have an OS disk?

I still have the os saved. I didnt do a complete format just made a new sector. The thing is If you dl the 6 boot disks do they contain the necessary files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back