NTLDR is missing? XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

som1dies2nite

Running XP pro, 2hdd on primary master and secondary master, dvd burner on the secondary slave. Primary master hdd contains system files and programs and 2nd master has all of my downloads and dvdrips. I boot xp with (SM) disabled in the BIOS to get it to boot up then restart computer and go back into the BIOS and enable the (SM) and xp will boot with boot drives working fine. BTW in the BIOS boot order it always puts the 2nd HDD to the top even though I place the (PM) as the first to boot.

Take the second harddrive out (data out)
Boot up
Shutdown
Put second hdd back in
Bootup

Or make 1st HDD Master (switch on back of HDD)
2nd HDD Slave (switch on back of HDD)

kimsland said:
Take the second harddrive out (data out)
Boot up
Shutdown
Put second hdd back in
Bootup

Or make 1st HDD Master (switch on back of HDD)
2nd HDD Slave (switch on back of HDD)

I did both options already and it doesnt matter if I have both drives on the same cable. I already tried different combo. Problem seem to start when I installed Vista and vista some how had my C: as my D: and D: as my C:. I have formatted the 2nd drive and still will get the NTLDR error.

If all else fails, check the boot.ini file.

However, the behavior of the bios is difficult to understand. Wouldn't this be the case if the primary is not detected? If you have fiddled with the jumpers, what about a different IDE cable.

With a solo HD, does the bios finally permit the PM to be listed as the 1st boot device?

If all combinations fail, I would consider re-flashing the bios.

Sorry I hadnt repost but got busy with a friends biz for tax season. Anyway how do I reflash the bios without a floppy drive. I tossed it b/c it seems like disketts seem to corupt themselves.

I wouldn't do the bios just yet (you'd like to keep that board at the moment)

Did you do Post#4 seeming that'll fix it

i reflashed it and same problem.
I can disable hdd 2 on in the bios and it boots up fine but lacks performance.
I can enable hdd2 and it will boot fine once then every boot afterwards gives the NTLDR error. It also doesnt matter if I do a clean re-install with or without drive 2. I am out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back