Numerous Errors, Ntfs and MFT contains corrupted file record plus many other errors

I am not sure what is going on, but my computer has been restarting in the middle of anything really by itself. I have multiple errors in event viewer, and have had BSOD before now. I have run CHKDSK several times as well as SFC and both found and fixed errors but same problems exist apparently.

I am running Windows 10, Build 16299 on an ASUS Essentio Series, Model CM1831, x64 based PC.
AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor, 3100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s); SMBIOS Version 2.5; dtd 4/6/2012 (not sure if avail/how to do BIOS update); BIOS Mode: Legacy; 16.0 GB Physical Memory (RAM); I just noticed this recently after an update: "Device Encryption Support: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface faile and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable". Not sure if that has anything to do with any of the issues I'm facing. But need my puter back to good running condition.

Please help!! Let me know if you need any other info from me, please.

Thank you.....Denise

Hi Denise. Wow. The latest build I have is 16299.371. How did you upgrade to W10? The best I can suggest for you is a clean install of W10. Then go from there. Let us know how things go. Please create a back up image so you can restore to what you have now.
That's the best I can do for you at the moment. Other members may reply later. Let us know how things go?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh
PS I'm not having any problems that you are having and I have the latest W10 build(Version) .

Sorry @ Densie I hope I have helped you with your issue and not corrupted your thread. The best W10 install you will ever get is a clean install. Here's link from HTG. There is a lot of good information in this link I hope this helps you !https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/
PS I hope this HTG link is up to date and I hope it helps you with your problem. I have no way of telling if that is true. I do the best I can with what I have.:D

Last edited:
OK this could be caused by heat. I would first remove the side and use a can oif air to blow out all dust paying particular attention to the processor heatsink, the fins under fan in center of motherboard may be clogged up which can cause this. Once clean inside the next thing to do is replace the poor quality power supply these units always have which seldom last more than a year or two and then degrade robbing power to the system. It is really not hard there are 4 screws holding it in and just make a diagram of the plugs you have to pull out of various devices to get it out. Any quality power supply to replace it is fine as they are mostly one size for desktops that look like yours and Antec or Thermaltake are good brands usually found in stores. If you will go into bios and read us the temperatures that system shows we can determine sometimes this need but better off simply replacing what is in there anyway because these poor quality units will eventually kill all components anyway as they degrade and sounds like you need to keep this unit running.

I just noticed this recently after an update: "Device Encryption Support: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface faile and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable".

First, have you been Encrypting the HD previously? Looks like it was "automatically attempted".

If not, you can disable Encrypting File System in the Services.msc

First, have you been Encrypting the HD previously? Looks like it was "automatically attempted".

If not, you can disable Encrypting File System in the Services.msc

No, I have not been encrypting the HD previously. Not sure what this is all about.

Hi Denise. Wow. The latest build I have is 16299.371. How did you upgrade to W10? The best I can suggest for you is a clean install of W10. Then go from there. Let us know how things go. Please create a back up image so you can restore to what you have now.
That's the best I can do for you at the moment. Other members may reply later. Let us know how things go?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh
PS I'm not having any problems that you are having and I have the latest W10 build(Version) .

I have been unsuccessful creating a back up image in order to restore to what I have now. My first attempts burned through 20 CDs and the backup image was nowhere near close to being finished. So what might I be doing wrong there??? Tips?? I upgraded to W10 from W7 when they offered the free upgrade, meaning I do not have a W10 disc and not sure how to go about doing a clean install of W10 if I don't have the disc??

Denise the fact you have upgraded to Windows 10 makes the reinstall easy to a clean install really easy. Go here and download the second option "Download Tool Now" which is the "Fall Creator Media Creator Tool" as an iso and then burn it to a bootable Dvd using Nero or CDBUrnerXP (which is free
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and then once made boot to dvd to install newest version of Windows 10. Skip putting in the key option as the bios in your system will already have the key saved so you do not need it. It will install and activate.
Holdum was banned here, I don't know why but he asked me to continue to help you and let you know he would have if he could have but management saw fit to make an issue of him for some reason with no announcements.
If you do not format the drive files and data will be saved to a folder named "Old Windows" so you can retrieve them later. If you have to delete the partitions to proceed with the install first try using a linux live-cd to save out all your files and data.
This will show you how:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/win...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Denise the fact you have upgraded to Windows 10 makes the reinstall easy to a clean install really easy. Go here and download the second option "Download Tool Now" which is the "Fall Creator Media Creator Tool" as an iso and then burn it to a bootable Dvd using Nero or CDBUrnerXP (which is free
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and then once made boot to dvd to install newest version of Windows 10. Skip putting in the key option as the bios in your system will already have the key saved so you do not need it. It will install and activate.
Holdum was banned here, I don't know why but he asked me to continue to help you and let you know he would have if he could have but management saw fit to make an issue of him for some reason with no announcements.
If you do not format the drive files and data will be saved to a folder named "Old Windows" so you can retrieve them later. If you have to delete the partitions to proceed with the install first try using a linux live-cd to save out all your files and data.
This will show you how:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/win...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Thank you! I appreciate you continuing for Holdum as I noticed he was banned but then I saw your reply, again, Thanks! Anyway.. I attempted to reinstall the OS using the previous advice Holdum gave, but couldn't find the EXACT version and build as the one I'm running of Win10 and the installation failed with the error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D (MS support site listed about 10 possible error codes when upgrading Win10 and this was one of them, stating it's USUALLY a driver error. But I have no idea where I would even begin to find out what driver.

I have since found, downloaded, and burned the iso onto CD, several versions/builds of Win10, including the most current (I think) available, which I plan to try when I finish the message. Besides some of the issues I've been having and some mentioned...yesterday I opened a dump file, which I have no idea what I'm looking at, or maybe it was a log file, anyway, the "Time Stamp" of probably 98% of the filenames/drivers (or services??) had dates WELL into the future...what the heck is that all about?? Is that normal?? And a few days ago I had noticed in file explorer, after unexpected computer shutdown, I went to open a different log file and noticed the creation date was about 6 or so hours ahead..like it was just before midnight on the 14th, but the created date/time was the 15th at 6am..Now I know THAT is NOT normal, correct?? I have seen in the event viewer, that there are several items on a number of different dates reflecting an error about the MFT (master file table) has a file or files that are corrupt. How do I go about fixing that??? And shouldn't that be fixed before attempting to reinstall/upgrade the OS??

So...any help you may be able to provide me would be most appreciated!

Thank you,
Denise Brown

Always use the most recent Media Creator which you have downloaded and burned from an iso now if I read your response correctly. If you are going to reinstall Windows 10 with clean install then no earlier message would be relevant as you are starting from scratch and to explain the messages I would have to see the entire message verbatim to be able to explain it anyway.
If you burned from the link I gave you there is only one version there which is the newest Fall Creator Build which is what you need to use.
The error message you got concerns drivers and actually is meant for Upgrade version not boot to dvd and clean install so now I am puzzled. There is also reference to shutting down Antivirus which is completely irrelevant in booting to dvd to clean install Windows also.To boot to dvd and clean install with that media creator tool you must put the dvd in tray and start computer from cold boot, Assuming no secure boot in bios and legacy boot options set start the computer taping F12 key until you see "select drive to boot to" and then choose dvd or cd drive and then see message "press any key to boot to cd-dvd" and then do so and install should start, do not start from Windows.

Always use the most recent Media Creator which you have downloaded and burned from an iso now if I read your response correctly. If you are going to reinstall Windows 10 with clean install then no earlier message would be relevant as you are starting from scratch and to explain the messages I would have to see the entire message verbatim to be able to explain it anyway.
If you burned from the link I gave you there is only one version there which is the newest Fall Creator Build which is what you need to use.
The error message you got concerns drivers and actually is meant for Upgrade version not boot to dvd and clean install so now I am puzzled. There is also reference to shutting down Antivirus which is completely irrelevant in booting to dvd to clean install Windows also.To boot to dvd and clean install with that media creator tool you must put the dvd in tray and start computer from cold boot, Assuming no secure boot in bios and legacy boot options set start the computer taping F12 key until you see "select drive to boot to" and then choose dvd or cd drive and then see message "press any key to boot to cd-dvd" and then do so and install should start, do not start from Windows.

Ok..got it!! Thanks...gonna try that now!

Back