NV4 driver something or another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azilmak

To whom this may concern,

I had this computer built about a year ago while stationed in korea by a buddy of mine. He is currently in iraq or i'd ask him about the problem as i have no clue about computers. I play WoW very frequently and as of late have been getting some problems with the graphics in the game, the screen will flick and then i'll get a bunch of crazy things going on with the game, like a pink floyd lightshow, most of the time i can fix this by ALT+Tab out and then back in. I'm always lagging where i had none before and sometimes the screen just freezes and i get a blue screen that says something about physical memory dump. On top of all that every once and again my screen on the whole computer goes nuts and a box comes up that says NV4 driver, or maybe it was NV4 display, and then i get restarted before i can read the rest of it. any help on fixing these problems as well as just making the computer better as a whole would be great. Thank you in advance

Sounds like a video card driver issue. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* There is also the possibility that a) your graphics card needs reseating, b) the fan on your video card is not working properly (check if it is running and if there is dust build-up, or c) the video card might be dying. But first update the drivers.

i tried that stuff and its still happening ohh and in the process i found out i have a Nvidia geforce 9600gt. not sure if that helps. is there a plan B?

Do you get Blue Screens? If so...

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I read your minidumps and at this moment the most important one gives us error code 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

This error code is a very strong indicator of corrupted memory and that is what your minidump tells us is your issue. Good news for you is that there is a free and completely safe test that you can run to test your memory and if you have corrupted memory RAM is easy to replace. Trust me, you'll be able to do it.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

ok i let it run while i slept and after about 7 hours it passed 12 times and had 0 errors.

Hmmm, okay then if you can please give us the make and model of your motherboard and the amount, make and type of memory you have installed.

how do i find this stuff? when he made it he gave me a paper with all the stuff in it but i can't find it. overall i paid a thousand dollars. and we were in korea so he said he got some stuff pretty cheap. not sure if there is a way to open a file or something and it says what memory or motherboard i have. im honestly the worst person in the world with computers

Go to CPU-Z here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and download the no install version appropriate to your operating system (32 bit or 64 bit). This version does not need to be installed on your PC.

Unzip the file, find the executable file "cpuz.exe" and double click on it. Click on the appropriate tab to find out your motherboard and RAM (memory).

Memory = DDR2 2048MB Single channel
Mainboard= Jetway HA03-GT
Chipset= ATI RD770
Southbridge= ATI SB600
BIOS= Phoenix Technologies, LTD Version 6.00PG

Per your minidumps try the following:

1. Go to your BIOS and check the voltage setting for your memory and compare it to the manufacturer's voltage designed specs for which your memory is designed for.

2. Run your system with one stick of RAM and then run it with the other stick. Any system crashes?

3. Symevent.sys driver was in the mix which belongs to Symantec. We have lost count the number of people who have had issues with this software. You can a) uninstall and reinstall, b) update, or c) completely uninstall and then use their special removal tool for your version to make sure all remanants are gone and then d) install another option that is better.

You also had two errors of 0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

The driver cited in both is the Nvidia display driver Nv4_disp_dll

*** Also, why is your memory set as single channel when your motherboard is designed for dual channel? What make and model is your memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back