Nvidia announces the new Titan X: 11 TFLOPs for $1,200

Scorpus

Staff member

Nvidia unveiled today a new flagship graphics card: the Titan X. It might carry the same name as Nvidia's previous high-end Maxwell card, but this new Pascal-based product uses a GP102 GPU for 11 TFLOPs of single-precision compute performance.

To put the performance of the new Titan X in perspective, the old GM200-based Titan X featured just over 6 TFLOPs of compute, while the GeForce GTX 1080 packs around 8.8 TFLOPs under boost.

For those that are interested in a 25 percent performance increase (on paper) over the GTX 1080, it will come at a hefty price: $1,200. This is double the MSRP of the GTX 1080, which shouldn't come as a surprise; Nvidia's Titan cards have always carried a significant premium.

As for specifications, here's what we know. The GP102 GPU features 3,584 CUDA cores, with this card packing a rated clock speed of 1,417 MHz and a boost clock of 1,530 MHz. There's 12 GB of GDDR5X memory on board, clocked at 10 GHz to provide 480 GB/s of bandwidth over a 384-bit interface.

The new Titan X is rated for a TDP of 250 watts, which is the same as the old Titan X. Considering the significant jump in performance from old to new, Nvidia's strengths in energy efficiency are on display here.

You'll be able to purchase a new Titan X from Nvidia directly starting August 2nd. The $1,200 price tag may be hard to swallow for some, but that's the price you'll have to pay to get the fastest single-GPU graphics card on the market.

Permalink to story.

Who didn't see this coming? Next after the GTX 1080's prices stabilize they will cough up a GTX 1080 Ti.

I just posted a video on youtube... the TITAN's roughly 22%-25% faster than the GTX 1080. This generation will skip the Ti all together. There's just no room to fit a card between such small gains. At least that makes sense why the GTX 1080 is priced like the 980Ti as well...

I am surprised it didn't come with HBM memory for that price so that equates to about $2200 to $ 2400 in Australia where we get ripped a new one with most high end tech prices.

This generation will skip the Ti all together. There's just no room to fit a card between such small gains.

Ehm... what are you talking about? Can you name your sources? You're saying this with seemingly a lot of confidence for such big statements. What "small gains"? If you believe the GTX 1080 Ti will be placed between the GTX 1080 and Titan, in terms of performance, history says you're blatantly wrong. The Ti has been the "Titan-like performing card" without the double-precision compute power, and there's no sign of changing that. The GTX 1080 Ti should perform just as well as the Titan in gaming (read single-precision floating point) scenarios, without the duality of being just as good for computing.

That card is a beast and just consuming 250Watts. But alas, I cant see myself owning it unless I do scientific research. Now waiting for proper reviews for it.

I am surprised it didn't come with HBM memory for that price so that equates to about $2200 to $ 2400 in Australia where we get ripped a new one with most high end tech prices.
I guess HBM2 will be reserved for the Quadro series only, or so it seems. Expected this card to have it as well.

GDDR5X is actually not a bad stopgap solution in terms of performance, but it still a bummer to not see HBM2 as all the rumor mills were ready to run with it until the finish line.

That being said I cannot justify $1000, let alone $1200 for the part so clearly it is not for me, but as with all video card announcements I can't wait for the reviews to come in. :)

Ehm... what are you talking about? Can you name your sources? You're saying this with seemingly a lot of confidence for such big statements. What "small gains"? If you believe the GTX 1080 Ti will be placed between the GTX 1080 and Titan, in terms of performance, history says you're blatantly wrong. The Ti has been the "Titan-like performing card" without the double-precision compute power, and there's no sign of changing that. The GTX 1080 Ti should perform just as well as the Titan in gaming (read single-precision floating point) scenarios, without the duality of being just as good for computing.

9Tflops GTX 1080, 11 Tflops TITANX part 2. This is a 22% increase. My source is NVIDIA themselves. As far as history goes, this is exactly how the GTX 600 series went. GTX 680 (GK104) was king, then Titan (Cut down GK100 GPU,) came out. Then They released a FULL GK100 GPU, Titan Black, with a cut down version for the GTX 780. Watch... Nvidia's going to pull a refresh generation again like they did with the GTX 700 series, so history's actually backing me up on this one.

GDDR5X is actually not a bad stopgap solution in terms of performance, but it still a bummer to not see HBM2 as all the rumor mills were ready to run with it until the finish line.

Looks like we will have to wait for the next-gen for HMB(2 or 3), I was hoping for it as well

This generation will skip the Ti all together. There's just no room to fit a card between such small gains.

The titan x and this only have single precision, it was the titan black that had double precision. Now you just paying alot of money to have that extra performance early.

Looks like we will have to wait for the next-gen for HMB(2 or 3), I was hoping for it as well

No point in waiting. Card would perform pretty much the same with or without it. There's always a new technology just around the corner and if you wait for everything you'll be waiting around forever.

The titan x and this only have single precision, it was the titan black that had double precision. Now you just paying alot of money to have that extra performance early.
This only has good single precision perf? So just targeted at really high end gaming?

This only has good single precision perf? So just targeted at really high end gaming?

That is all Titan cards were ever good for lol

Pretty sexy. What's the deal with no HBM2? With that price tags it should have high bandwidth memory, not the same memory as the 1080. I'm running SLI 980 Classies at the moment. Was hoping to upgrade to a 1080, but with no HBM2, I'll wait til the next gen. Hopefully there will be a 1080ti and it will have HBM2. I'll grab two of those bad boys, here's hoping. I can't see Nvidia releasing a 1080ti under any other city circumstances. I would think they'd sooner release a new series of rebranded mid and low end cards with the top dogs having HBM2, with or without new architecture. The HBM memory performance should provide significant improvements, I'm guessing 20% or more over GDDR5x at 10 GHz.

I currently have a Core i7 6950x with 32GB of RAM and a Titan X 12GB. I was expecting the new Titan X to be 16GB (rumor I heard). I would have upgraded if it did, but so far I don't see any reason to do so.

I'm running 3 monitors and a 4K 50" TV and everything looks and runs fine.

Back