Nvidia CEO: Android tablets will overtake iPad in 30 months

Emil

Staff

Nvidia co-founder and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has declared that Android tablets will overtake Apple's iPad in 30 months. As Android for tablets improves and more apps hit the Android Market, Huang believes the platform will pass the iPad just like it did with the iPhone.

"The Android phone took only two and a half years to achieve the momentum that we're talking about. I would expect the same thing on Honeycomb tablets," Huang said at the Reuters Technology Summit in New York on Monday. "As a result of so many different parties working together, the first versions tend to be a bit clumsy to roll out. However, as is the nature of these organic industries with very, very large players, you have continuous improvement at a very rapid pace. Everyone recognized the shortcomings of Honeycomb 3.0, jumped in working on Honeycomb 3.1, and if you haven't had a chance to play with it -- it's just delightful."

Nvidia has a vested interest in Android gaining market share. The maker of graphics chips for PCs launched its Tegra 2 processors this year, establishing itself as a major player in high-end smartphones and tablets by manufacturers like Samsung and Motorola. This is only the beginning.

For example, we recently just learned that Amazon may have chosen Nvidia to power its rumored tablets. The entry-level tablet is codenamed Coyote and will be based on the dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 platform. The second one is codenamed Hollywood and will be based on the quad-core Nvidia codename Kal-El platform (likely to be called Tegra 3).

Kal-El has been sampling for the last three months and could land in products as early as August. It has already won at least 10 spots in devices (five major phone companies and five major PC manufacturers), including phones, tablets, and low-powered laptops.

Google officially launched Android 3.1 (codenamed Honeycomb) last week. The minor update to Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) is being made available to various tablets in the coming weeks. In fact, it's already available for first tablet that launched with the tablet-optimized version of Android: the Motorola Xoom.

While it's not clear if further Android 3.x versions are in the works, Google has already announced that the next version of Android is codenamed Ice Cream Sandwich, slated for Q4 2011. While we don't know what version number it will have, rumors have previously suggested Android 4.0. Ice Cream Sandwich will work on all devices: smartphones, tablets, TVs, and so on.

Permalink to story.

There's no tablet market. There's an ipad market. It's a fad that will die off and is pretty much an item for hipsters.

But being hipster is too mainstream for me so tablets aren't a good use of my money.

There's no tablet market. There's an ipad market. It's a fad that will die off and is pretty much an item for hipsters.

But being hipster is too mainstream for me so tablets aren't a good use of my money.

Unless of course they make these things out of the 'hyper-elastic' Amoled material so it id the size of a credit card...now that would be anti-hipster-hipster, I'm in!...put you down for one of those?

red1776 said:

Unless of course they make these things out of the 'hyper-elastic' Amoled material so it id the size of a credit card...now that would be anti-hipster-hipster, I'm in!...put you down for one of those?

lol wat

can i join your world?

trillionsin said:
red1776 said:

lol wat

can i join your world?

Don't leave me out!

Anyway, 30 months? Sounds plausible... but in 30months Apple will have new gimmick which will be selling like mad....

They probably are correct.

But iPads having a down turn and Apple loosing money because of it is not mutually exclusive.

It just means market growth and more choice, which is good for everyone.

+1 red :D

For now I think tablets have only few usages e.g. entertainment (read videos or games etc.) or casual surfing; so unless there is drastic improvement in the quality/power of the offerings I am not sure they are anything but fad.

Apart from one fact which Jen forgot to made, Tegra isn't the leading SoC, and likes of Samsung is already developing their on SoCs (and only need nVidia for now because they don't have ability to manufacture them fast enough) + LG is also working on something similar. Take these two large cell/mobile computing giants out of the equation, and I think nVidia's life won't be that rosy.

I like how android can't even surpass the apples iPad. Apple only has 2 tablets. Tech one because the iPad 2 is just an upgrade from the first. And android has atleast over 15 types of android tablets. And yet apple is destroying the tablet market. Yes android is getting better, but by looking at the differences. Android isn't looking good at all.

Back