Nvidia claims Anthem's new DLSS support can boost performance by "up to 40 percent," but...

Polycount

Staff

Performance isn't Anthem's biggest issue (constant loading screens and bugs are more common critiques) but Nvidia doesn't want to leave well enough alone. If you happen to own Anthem as well as one of Nvidia's RTX-series GPUs, the GPU maker has some good news for you today: using DLSS you can now allegedly enjoy a free performance boost of "up to 40 percent."

Apparently those benefits will only be noticeable when your GPU is really being put through its paces. As such, the DLSS option will be locked unless you're playing Anthem at 2560x1440 or 3840x2160. According to Nvidia's own benchmarks, the RTX 2080 Ti was able to go from putting out an average of 51.8 FPS pre-DLSS to 69.9 FPS post-DLSS. The RTX 2080, 2070, and 2060 saw similarly-impressive performance gains.

With that said, we've taken DLSS for a spin more than once in games that support the feature like Battlefield V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus, and from what we’ve seen, we don’t think DLSS is doing anything that another subsampling technique can’t achieve.

With Battlefield V the feature blurs image quality, so it doesn't work very well compared to downscaling techniques. With Metro Exodus it’s fair to say DLSS does work. It’s a one click button, it improves performance, and the hit to visual quality is minor. While the image quality isn’t as good as native rendering, we think a lot of people will be more satisfied playing the game with DLSS enabled at a higher level of performance, than running with slightly better sharpness at lower performance.

In SoTR, DLSS is not as good as the implementation in Metro Exodus, but better than Battlefield V. DLSS is definitely not as sharp as the native presentation, it’s blurry in some areas and doesn’t let the fine texture work in the game shine.

If you give Anthem's DLSS implementation a try, tell us your results and as we've said in our investigations we hope it does get better eventually.

RTX GPU owners can try Anthem's new DLSS support right now provided you've downloaded your card's latest drivers and Windows 10's October 2018 update (version 1809 or higher). If you've ticked both of those boxes, just open up Anthem's Display settings and switch on DLSS.

Permalink to story.

"Apparently those benefits will only be noticeable when your GPU is really being put through its paces'

DLSS takes a fixed time to execute according to Nvidia. It cannot be used to obtain high frame-rates

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-your-questions-answered/

"To put it a bit more technically, DLSS requires a fixed amount of GPU time per frame to run the deep neural network. Thus, games that run at lower frame rates (proportionally less fixed workload) or higher resolutions (greater pixel shading savings), benefit more from DLSS. For games running at high frame rates or low resolutions, DLSS may not boost performance. When your GPU’s frame rendering time is shorter than what it takes to execute the DLSS model, we don’t enable DLSS."

I really wish they would specify the max framerate DLSS can run at. The only thing we get instead is an around 60 FPS number. Not surprising though, Nvidia is not known for being transparent.

Rendering a game at 70% of the resolution and then upscaling it gives performance increases? Who knew?????????

DLSS is garbage

More like 40% of full 4K

2560 x 1440 = 3686400 pixels
3840 x 2160 = 8290400 pixels

DLSS is garbage you can just use resolution scaling and get better results and you don't need Turing GPU. I do it on my Radeon VII in The Division 2 to get the 55ffps - 60fps at "4K" ultra settings :)

Is there a way to use resolution scaling in this game?. I can´t find it in the graphics menu :(. I have a gtx 1080 ti and 4k display. In order to play 50-70 fps I need to set some graphics options to low or off. Resolution scaling should help a lot in this game.

Is there a way to use resolution scaling in this game?. I can´t find it in the graphics menu :(. I have a gtx 1080 ti and 4k display. In order to play 50-70 fps I need to set some graphics options to low or off. Resolution scaling should help a lot in this game.

There isn't anything baked into the game settings, however if you enable Nvidia DSR in the graphics card settings, you can set it to allow any resolutions you want. Then when in game, those resolutions will be available for you to select. This is how you could supersample to 4K if you felt like it. Personally on a 1080p monitor, I supersample to 1440 and it looks great. 4K will drop your fps a lot and would hardly be noticeably better. It's mostly good for reducing aliasing.

Rendering a game at 70% of the resolution and then upscaling it gives performance increases? Who knew?????????

DLSS is garbage
I believe there was an article or review showing that even rendering a game like BFV with no dlss at 1440p gives you similar performance but a better overall quality image vs dlss at 4k. Im not sure if this was fixed

There isn't anything baked into the game settings, however if you enable Nvidia DSR in the graphics card settings, you can set it to allow any resolutions you want. Then when in game, those resolutions will be available for you to select. This is how you could supersample to 4K if you felt like it. Personally on a 1080p monitor, I supersample to 1440 and it looks great. 4K will drop your fps a lot and would hardly be noticeably better. It's mostly good for reducing aliasing.

Hes going the other direction. He has a 4K monitor and wants to play at a lower resolution (but without changing his native display resolution) so he can get a higher framerate.

My advice is simply to play a game that doesn't suck. I know, not helpful. ;)

Back