Nvidia claims performance boost with new GeForce 260 driver

Julio Franco

Staff member

Along with the newly released GeForce GTS 450 GPU, Nvidia was ready to launch a major revision of their graphics driver adding new features and claiming performance improvements. In usual fashion, the new GeForce 260 beta driver supports all GeForce families going back to the ancient 6-series, however many enhancements are only relevant to the newer GTS/GTX 400 series.

Nvidia is giving strong emphasis to 3D Vision and related capabilities of its devices. This beta driver adds support for Blu-ray 3D disc playback if you connect your graphics card to a 3D TV via HDMI and have the necessary software. In addition, several bugs have been addressed for 3D Vision supporting games. Some highlights in the performance optimization department can be seen below, for a more detailed list of enhancements look here.

Nvidia has streamlined the driver installer as well, overhauling the user interface and speeding up the process when using multi-GPU configurations. There's also a new Express installation mode that only takes a click to complete. If you are using a Nvidia board for PhysX, this beta driver will also update the relevant software to version 9.10.0514.

Download: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Permalink to story.

Great. Let me ask this, the performance boost: is that ONLY on 4xx based cards? The title kinda makes it confusing...

I hope this performance boost works on all Nvidia cards, not just 460 and 480.

I don't know about all that other stuff, but streamlining driver updating/installation always sounds good...

i tried these, messed up my drivers, computer wouldnt boot....safe mode + system restore saved the day

Just when I bought a 5870 I discovered the holy grail of the performance cost relation, the 460 in sli, and now this, great!! :-S

(sorry for the english)

What's this boost measuring? Is it 7 - 19% more frames per second or measured in marketing hype per second?

Guest, you shouldn't feel so bad for buying a 5870, that's also a really nice card, plus, there will always be sometrhing better for the price, if not now with the GTX460, probably in a few months with the Radeon 6000 series... that's how it works...

BTW, is everyone having trouble when trying to quote a message here? I get the following error....
Error: 1222 The used SELECT statements have a different number of columns

I see something like this everyday at work, but never expected to see it here... LOL ;)

You tell me cueto_99, a year ago I had a Athlon Le-1640 and was happy, very happy, but I got a 4850 and it came to my mind, "what if I buy a Athlon x4 620", but that wasnt enught, my 24 inchs lcd was hungry for more fps to help with its ghosting and that is how got a 5850, but noooooo, there was an used 5870 on the net and and used athlon 635 at a good price, oh, but the guy than sold me the 5870 had two 470 on sli with three lcds running crysis.......... And there are the 120hertz lcds than are very cool with the ghosting.......

The 260.63 beta driver is good but has it's faults also. Don't forget it is a beta so somethings still won't work and somethings that were working are now broke. Everyone's system will react differently to any and all drivers.
For me the drivers fixed the DPC Latency for my gtx460. I am now finally consistantly in the green.
What they have introduced for me is now my desktop keeps resizing. I am not the only one with this issue. From what I can see in the nvidia control panel, it looks as if the driver is thinking my LCD monitor is a HDTV which it is not. I keep getting black bars on the side of my screen. In order to fix that I have to keep resetting/resizing my desktop resolution. It's annoying but this isn't the first driver to do this.

Back