Nvidia G-Sync support is being added to LG's 2019 TVs this week

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: Get ready to hook up your gaming rig to your 55- or 65-inch LG. The company just started rolling out G-Sync firm to its current year OLED models. Now that HDMI 2.1 comes with variable refresh rate support standard, we may starting seeing platform agnostic active-sync in many newer TVs.

We told you it was coming back in September and now it is here.

On Friday, LG announced that it is sending out G-Sync firmware to its compatible 2019 OLED televisions. Sets that will be getting the update include 65- and 55-inch E9, C9, and B9 models. The firmware updates will start rolling out in North America this week. Other regions will be receiving the G-Sync firmware before the end of the year.

As you might know, G-Sync is Nvidia's solution to screen-tearing and stuttering. The technology uses a variable refresh rate that synchronizes with the GPU's frame rate. So every frame is correctly rendered in time with a refresh of the screen. AMD's version of the tech is called FreeSync.

Of course, you will need an Nvidia GeForce RTX 20-series or GTX 16-series GPU to take advantage of the new firmware.

Aside from gaming, some might be thinking, "Why would I have my PC hooked up to my TV?" Others might already be enjoying computing on a 55-inch screen.

I started using my 55-inch 4K Visio for work two years ago and haven't looked back. In fact, I become irritable when, for whatever reason, I have to use a smaller monitor.

If you have never considered using a large 4K TV as a PC display, you should read our write-up on the hows and whys.

Permalink to story.

I'm loving my Samsung 75" QLED Q60R, it has some freesync tech built in, I've only tried my Xbox One but its quite smooth.

The article doesn't make this clear, these are G-Sync compatible correct? Regular G-Sync requires an Nvidia scaler, which these TVs do not have. Not unless Nvidia removed that requirement.

I'm loving my Samsung 75" QLED Q60R, it has some freesync tech built in, I've only tried my Xbox One but its quite smooth.

I just picked up an Open box 65" QLED Q80R. It's an insane jump in performance when compared to my Black Friday Door buster Vizio I bought a few years back. I still need to sit down and figured out all the motion settings for gaming.

I just picked up an Open box 65" QLED Q80R. It's an insane jump in performance when compared to my Black Friday Door buster Vizio I bought a few years back. I still need to sit down and figured out all the motion settings for gaming.

Ya, pretty big difference from a BF special TV even to an entry level “nice” TV. The Q60 is just the tip of the iceberg. If its not too late I suggest you return for the Q70, the full zoned backlight looks amazing vs the Q60. But the Q60 still a good starting point.

I would suggest against gaming on a OLED If your the type to stream the same game all the time or play marathon sessions.

Image retention is real on the OLEDs, be careful, make sure you giving your TV breaks from static health bars and ammo counts

The article doesn't make this clear, these are G-Sync compatible correct? Regular G-Sync requires an Nvidia scaler, which these TVs do not have. Not unless Nvidia removed that requirement.
Yes they removed the requirement months ago via driver. Now freesync displays are branded Gsync compatible. Features can be enabled in Nvidia control panel. FYI vendors are likely paying for that branding.

We've had the ability to use gsync for a couple weeks now with a beta driver and it's been amazing on my 65" C9 this display has now become the best gaming display I've ever used and blows away and other big format gaming display put there and not to mention 8 only paid $1699 vs the $5k to $6k they are asking for the the other options out there.

They are using the actual HDMI-VRR tech introduced with hdmi 2.1 spec it is not the same as other gsync compatible displays (that use VESA Adaptive Sync) and these displays are the ONLY displays on the market that use this tech.

Other TV's that feature vrr are using FreeSync over hdmi which is not the same and not supported so far with Nvidia gpu's.

If you want to game at 4k at 60+ fps an Nvidia gpu is really the only way at the moment.

I would suggest against gaming on a OLED If your the type to stream the same game all the time or play marathon sessions.

Image retention is real on the OLEDs, be careful, make sure you giving your TV breaks from static health bars and ammo counts
I've used 2 oled TV's for the last 3 years and have over 3,000 hour on destiny 2 I got a bit of burn in on my older model (2016) but have had no issues with my newer set with atleast 1,000 hours on it.

The newer models are much more resilient and have better tech built in to mitigate these effects not to mention lg will now as a 1 time courtesy replace a burned in screen if you contact them even out of warranty (up to 4 years).

I'm about to contact them to have my 2016 panel replaced.

I think if you're buying a 2019 or newer model you'll be perfectly safe using these as gaming displays and lg is willing to back that up now with the shift to more and more gaming features and the extra burn in coverage.

If its not too late I suggest you return for the Q70, the full zoned backlight looks amazing vs the Q60. But the Q60 still a good starting point.
Ive seen the Q70 and Q60 running side by side, both displaying various 4K content, it was almost indistinguishable between the two for 90% of what I and my wife saw, and I can be picky. I also got my 75" Q60R NIB for $1400 shipped, Walmart and Amazon want $2000. The Q70 is a tad better but couldnt find a deal on one. He sold them all but here was the seller, shipping was white glove delivery, TV is perfect.
The picture and motion is absolutely brilliant, the colors vibrant... one thing of note, a dedicated Roku 4K player is better/smoother then the built in apps, so dont rely on the built in stuff to watch TV.

Last edited:
Seriously? What about those of us that have the "8" models(symbolizes 2018 models) and before? I have a B8, r we SOL?

And what's the motivation to buy those absurd $3K gaming monitors when you can get a Smart OLED TV with G-sync support and 120hz standard for much much cheaper?

Ive seen the Q70 and Q60 running side by side, both displaying various 4K content, it was almost indistinguishable between the two for 90% of what I and my wife saw, and I can be picky. I also got my 75" Q60R NIB for $1400 shipped, Walmart and Amazon want $2000. The Q70 is a tad better but couldnt find a deal on one. He sold them all but here was the seller, shipping was white glove delivery, TV is perfect.
The picture and motion is absolutely brilliant, the colors vibrant... one thing of note, a dedicated Roku 4K player is better/smoother then the built in apps, so dont rely on the built in stuff to watch TV.

The comparison Should be done in a room with the lights real low or off. Thats where the Q70 leaves the 60 in the dust. It has full array backlighting with zones, makes a noticeable difference.

I've used 2 oled TV's for the last 3 years and have over 3,000 hour on destiny 2 I got a bit of burn in on my older model (2016) but have had no issues with my newer set with atleast 1,000 hours on it.

The newer models are much more resilient and have better tech built in to mitigate these effects not to mention lg will now as a 1 time courtesy replace a burned in screen if you contact them even out of warranty (up to 4 years).

I'm about to contact them to have my 2016 panel replaced.

I think if you're buying a 2019 or newer model you'll be perfectly safe using these as gaming displays and lg is willing to back that up now with the shift to more and more gaming features and the extra burn in coverage.

So, you have personally experienced burn in on your own tv and now LG themselves are admitting their is an issue with it and will completely replace your tv within a 4yr window.....and your arguing think that IR is a non issue?

they are beautiful tv’s but, like plasmas in the past, have a certain use for now. Dedicated small theaters or light controlled rooms. They do not have the horsepower to drive 1000nit bright room HDR. Its just a limitation of the tech. But the true black levels....my god they are perfect.

LG needs to get to work on a larger panel tho. We have been selling a ton of samsung and sony tv’s at the 82” and 85” size. Their around $2k right now too and great panels. They need to get into the 80”+ range IMO (Iknow they are close with the 77”, but people ask for larger all the time)

Back