Nvidia G-Sync vs AMD FreeSync in 2023 and 2024

Great article. Does anyone know if Nvidia will be upgrading the Gsync module to DisplayPort 2.1 in time for Blackwell? I personally will be looking at Ces 2024 around the corner for dp 2.1 monitors. The good news is that display port 2.1 monitors like the Neo G9 already have freesync compatibility.

I thought Gsync compatible only works when using DisplayPort not HDMI, can someone confirm? I checked with my monitor using HDMI and VRR doesn’t seem to work for me. I’m using an nvidia card with a Gsync compatible monitor

I personally loathe any form of sync Vsync, Freesync, Gsync as they make games feel slow to me. Frame syncing is the first thing I nuke on driver install.

I thought Gsync compatible only works when using DisplayPort not HDMI, can someone confirm? I checked with my monitor using HDMI and VRR doesn’t seem to work for me. I’m using an nvidia card with a Gsync compatible monitor
I have the LG oled 48 inch CX TV. It works. You have to set the TV settings to AMD freesync premium on the port you are using. Then go to the Nvidia control panel in windows and check the Gsync sub tab for the hdmi connected display. Make sure its on press apply and and it should work. How do you know it's working? When I update my drivers in particularly I get a pop-up message on bottom right saying Gsync compatible display connected. This is using hdmi 2.1. While you have your Nvidia control panel open make sure to check if your gpu is running at maximum monitor refresh rate/ resolution and color bit. Mine is set to 4k 120 hz 10 bit uncompressed signal. Enjoy.
I personally loathe any form of sync Vsync, Freesync, Gsync as they make games feel slow to me. Frame syncing is the first thing I nuke on driver install.
I guess it's subjective, but to mitigate this impact you need hardware that is probably runs higher than display maximum refresh rate ( for me thus threshold is 120 hz ) @ 120 hz you are getting around 8 ms of latency added to sync those frames. Running your frames above the maximum is also a waste of resources imo.

I have the LG oled 48 inch CX TV. It works. You have to set the TV settings to AMD freesync premium on the port you are using. Then go to the Nvidia control panel in windows and check the Gsync sub tab for the hdmi connected display. Make sure its on press apply and and it should work. How do you know it's working? When I update my drivers in particularly I get a pop-up message on bottom right saying Gsync compatible display connected. This is using hdmi 2.1. While you have your Nvidia control panel open make sure to check if your gpu is running at maximum monitor refresh rate/ resolution and color bit. Mine is set to 4k 120 hz 10 bit uncompressed signal. Enjoy.

I guess it's subjective, but to mitigate this impact you need hardware that is probably runs higher than display maximum refresh rate ( for me thus threshold is 120 hz ) @ 120 hz you are getting around 8 ms of latency added to sync those frames. Running your frames above the maximum is also a waste of resources imo.
I have always had capable harware; in 2014/15/16 I had with 780Ti MATRIX SLI and 290X MATRIX CF systems then 980Ti MATRIX and Fury STRIX. It just equates to Emperor's New Clothes for me; my current 3080Ti and 7900 XT have not changed my mind

Last edited:
I hate to an "Uhm actually" but Adaptive Sync is the name VESA gave to their VRR standard and is trademarked so that monitor manufacturers can't use the name for things other than the VESA standard. I suspect using the standard's name as a catch all for VRR is going to confuse prospective monitor buyers since they would then think that adaptive sync labeling tells nothing other than VRR.

I have always had capable harware; in 2014/15/16 I had with 780Ti MATRIX SLI and 290X MATRIX CF systems then 980Ti MATRIX and Fury STRIX. It just equates to Emperor's New Clothes for me; my current 3080Ti and 7900 XT have not changed my mind
The emperor without clothes is flashing us with stuttering and screen tearing 😉. I realized that there is no ideal gaming monitor and all this is subjective. I did experience lag when setting vsync on 60hz and 30 hz. For me personally the miniscule added lag at 120hz doesn't break the immersion, negatively affect my gaming performance the way that stuttering and screen tearing does. Both teams offer reflex boost mode and anti lag to help with latency as well.

Another advantage of having a Gsync module is you can enable Gsync when using DLSS frame generation. Haven't tried it with AMD's version.

That depends on the monitor. Many monitors only support VRR with DP but it can also work with HDMI. I think you need HDMI 2.0 at least but I'm not 100% on that.

Why no word for professional use?
except the large covering of the color space, this monitors a pretty expensive toys
I know, the pro users can be satisfied with far less :)

In the article:
both DisplayPort and HDMI on GeForce GTX 16 and RTX 20 series GPUs or newer.

What NVIDIA GPU and Monitor do you have?

Last edited:
I have to choose between HDR (only works on HDMI) or VRR (only works on DP)... and my monitor and Graph are not that old, a Lenovo G27q-20 (27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz) with a 3070Ti.

Back