Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 & 2080 Ti Review: The Future of Computer Graphics Is (Almost) Here

Julio Franco

Staff member

After a month-long wait since Nvidia unveiled the GeForce RTX 20 series, we can finally bring you our performance review. As you all know by now, we have a new flagship graphics card in the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti with pricing starting at $1,000 for partner cards and $1,200 for the Founders Edition version, we're talking Titan X money here. Meanwhile the vanilla RTX 2080 is landing at $700 for partner models and $800 for the Founders Edition.

Read the full article here.

After a year of inflated prices due to indirect mining demand

What was indirect in that demand? :)

Also, in this day and age, it is not outside reasonable to want to see 8K benchmarks included. There should be more 8K monitors become available toward the end of the year, cheaper than the current proposal from DELL.

Last edited:
A cut price GTX1080ti of which there is the odd one floating around seems a better deal than the RTX2080.

The real problem with these cards is the fact the 7nm generation looms for 2019 and that is a guarantee of an impressive performance jump across the board.

The 2070 and 2080 feel like mere stop gap cards until then. The Ti does offer a real leap in top tier performance but then only at basically extortion level cost. Early adopter tax gets ever steeper.

This does open the door a crack for AMD to sneak in with 7nm GPUs early next year even if they are only midrange ones. I really hope they have been sampling and working hard with TSMC to get them out the door while Nvidia were still delaying and holding back on these 12nm RTX models.

@Steve Walton Though the graphs seem correct WRT the improvement of the 2080 Ti vs the 1080 Ti in Arma for percent improvement seem correct, the text is not. Please consider correcting this. I did not check the rest of the math in the text, however.

Ed. note: Thank you, fixed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically they rebranded the 1080Ti as 2080 and added ray tracing. They also likely rebranded the 1080 as 2070 and added Ray tracing.

I guess you basically get the same fps/$ performance as we had 2 years ago but get Ray tracing instead of more fps this generation.
Not really, the 2080 has 500+ fewer cores even with RT included, and a smaller memory bus, yet is a bit faster then a 1080ti.

There are definitely arch improvements here, the issue is the insane cost.

Nvidia is just trying to sell off all those extra 10 series cards they over-manufactured last year, which is why these cards are so much higher priced for a tech that means little (in reality).

Now that the 2080 has same performance as a 1080ti, that means the price of both the 1080ti and the 1080 will be a solid grab for many gamers who've been holding off.

So basically they rebranded the 1080Ti as 2080 and added ray tracing. They also likely rebranded the 1080 as 2070 and added Ray tracing.

I guess you basically get the same fps/$ performance as we had 2 years ago but get Ray tracing instead of more fps this generation.
Not really, the 2080 has 500+ fewer cores even with RT included, and a smaller memory bus, yet is a bit faster then a 1080ti.

There are definitely arch improvements here, the issue is the insane cost.

The only thing truly missing would have been some temperature comparisons involving the 1080 & 1080TI. Since the 2080 & 1080TI are essentially trading blows, it would have been nice to see if the architecture improvements/lower core counts also meant reductions in temperatures. Also, I'll grant that it's nice you get a 13% reduction in TDP at load between the 1080TI & 2080...but why does the 2080 use 24% more power at idle? Shouldn't that have also dropped?

Basically, what it comes down to is that the main reason for the price premium is the ray-tracing capability...& as @Steve Walton pointed out, the list of games that currently support is is nearly non-existent, & the list of games currently listed as supporting it over the next year is so small that most gamers will only see the extra eye candy in maybe 2 or 3 games. It's individual choice whether those extra hundreds of dollars are worth it or not...

Nvidia is just trying to sell off all those extra 10 series cards they over-manufactured last year, which is why these cards are so much higher priced for a tech that means little (in reality).

Now that the 2080 has same performance as a 1080ti, that means the price of both the 1080ti and the 1080 will be a solid grab for many gamers who've been holding off.

No, no and again no. A 1080Ti GPU is almost half of 2080Ti. Silicon costs you know...

That was a quality write-up and evaluation Steve - thanks!

I intend on getting the ti version of this card, but not until spring of next year when I get my tax refund back. So by then, the dust will have settled and I'll have a lot more information to work with before pulling the trigger on my purchase.

The big take away for me on this release is the no hiccups 4K performance of the 2080Ti. It's simply the GPU you need if running 4K. Not that the 2080 and 1080Ti, or even a 1080 and 1070 can't run 4K well, or even at a high refresh rate with the right game settings and/or games; but for true 4K beauty I can finally say there is a single GPU that will handle it.

The pricing is awful...I am actually hoping these cards don't sell that great but they will, as nerds with cashness will bust out bills to have their new RTX. But there is great news here.

The 1080Ti, 1080 and 1070 should be down to what I call 'humane prices'. My 670 still rocks at 2K/120Hz but I am ready for a new GPU...time to snipe a GTX 1080 off ebay.

The big take away for me on this release is the no hiccups 4K performance of the 2080Ti. It's simply the GPU you need if running 4K. Not that the 2080 and 1080Ti, or even a 1080 and 1070 can't run 4K well, or even at a high refresh rate with the right game settings and/or games; but for true 4K beauty I can finally say there is a single GPU that will handle it.

The pricing is awful...I am actually hoping these cards don't sell that great but they will, as nerds with cashness will bust out bills to have their new RTX. But there is great news here.

The 1080Ti, 1080 and 1070 should be down to what I call 'humane prices'. My 670 still rocks at 2K/120Hz but I am ready for a new GPU...time to snipe a GTX 1080 off ebay.

Go for the 1080 Ti. It can be had for ~$500 and as you can see you get 2080 performance out of it.

Going to reserve judgement on this generation of cards until there are games on the market that take advantage of the new features. Not quite a large enough jump in standard performance for me to burn that kind of cash when I've already got a 1080ti. The new AI-assisted anti-aliasing tech may sway me though. We'll see.

You need your head examining if you pay the kind of money these cards are at, given the performance.
This is about half a paycheck for me and running 3 - 980s in SLI and often crash games in 4k one 2080ti is both worth the price of a upgrade and really not that expensive but some of us have real jobs that pay decent money.

Your previous strange brigade benchmark has the 1080 Ti getting a full 27 FPS more, well outside the margin of error. Don't know what's going on there.

Otherwise your prediction wasn't wrong steve. The 2080 Ti offers about 30% more performance then a stock 1080 ti when you predicted 25%. That's pretty close I'd say. If you wanted to match TDP of the 2080 ti you could easily get that down to 20%.

No, no and again no. A 1080Ti GPU is almost half of 2080Ti. Silicon costs you know...

It's actually less then half if you buy used. You can get an EVGA GTX 1080 ti for $500 and that comes with a warranty as well. You could buy two of those and a 1060 for your backup rig for the price of a single 2080 Ti.

You need your head examining if you pay the kind of money these cards are at, given the performance.
This is about half a paycheck for me and running 3 - 980s in SLI and often crash games in 4k one 2080ti is both worth the price of a upgrade and really not that expensive but some of us have real jobs that pay decent money.

That may be true for some of us...but considering that the last time I built a system from scratch, the price for the 2080TI matches the cost that an entire system without a GPU would run me, that's when the phrase, "Oh, it's only half my paycheck" has a lot less meaning than the phrase, "What the frack, I just doubled the cost of my system with a single component?!?!?"

Back