Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Review: One Massive Graphics Card

It'll be criticised for the inflated price but really it's a pro level product. Don't be fooled into thinking everyone should go and buy this card and that's what PC gaming costs. Don't moan about it. It's not for you to run Fortnite on. It's for graphics workstations which on a good day are $10k anyway.

It's all about the compute performance and massive memory buffer here. You don't need this for gaming.

Thanks for the review Steve, great work and quite enlightening. It is definitely too much added cost, for too little added performance (at least from my perspective). The 3080 does seem the better buy for 99.99% of buyers (pure gamers), and very likely the 3070 as well.

Thanks again Steve, really enjoyed the review.

Nice review. The 3090 wouldn't look so bad if there was no 3080. It does offer a large increase in performance over the previous generation. But the 3080 does exist and it destroys the 3090 in value. The 3090 really should be closer to $1000 than $1500.

Last edited:
This is something to train your neural networks on. You can use it for gaming but that will be a massive waste of money.

Yikes, only max 10% improvement over the 3080, huge card, more power and twice the cost. Yeah 3080 it is. Especially if add in partners up the vram of the 3080.

How the hell is this having a score of 80%?

- Worst power draw ever
- WORST VALUE of this generation
- Heavy and badly designed, could damage the motherboard
- Premium Power supply required
- Don't fit in a lot of cases
- 12 pins connector gimmick

FERMI 2.0... Steve, you are way too generous. Someone needs to wake up and call Nvidia BS!

It'll be criticised for the inflated price but really it's a pro level product. Don't be fooled into thinking everyone should go and buy this card and that's what PC gaming costs. Don't moan about it. It's not for you to run Fortnite on. It's for graphics workstations which on a good day are $10k anyway.

It's all about the compute performance and massive memory buffer here. You don't need this for gaming.

Hey, many SKUs from AIBs are called GAMING...

There's no surprises here right? Minor performance uplift for significantly higher price. Exactly as the Titan series always has been (and other than a name change this is a Titan). It's the best GPU money can buy right now. And most people don't need it. For those who do or can afford it, it's great. For those that don't/can't, the 3080 is amazing price to perf option instead.
I see no downsides here (other than the 3080 being hard to obtain right now)

Problem is, this is not a professional product. That is called Quadro. *TX cards don't have the same level of driver support at all, there are intentionally unfixed bugs left in the code for years (PLX bug, anyone?), many instructions disabled, etc.

For proper support and drivers you need to shell out like 5 times the money, for basically the same hardware.

Just sold a Vega 64 and told to myself to never buy again a card that produce that much heat. Card producing such heat are hard to cool and made too much noise. It is sad to see NVIDIA releasing product that have such high tdp.

How the hell is this having a score of 80%?

- Worst power draw ever
- WORST VALUE of this generation
- Heavy and badly designed, could damage the motherboard
- Premium Power supply required
- Don't fit in a lot of cases
- 12 pins connector gimmick

FERMI 2.0... Steve, you are way too generous. Someone needs to wake up and call Nvidia BS!

1- RTX 3090 has best performance per watt out of cards that have been tested. So yea power consumption is high but also have best fps per watt at 4K

2- It has better value than RTX 2080 Ti

I thought it would be a bit further ahead of the 3080, but that's why we need reviews, right? :) Price/performance is horrible of course, but hey, no one should have expected "bang for buck" in a Titan category product, so that's that (I'm most definitely not part of the target audience)

What I am truly impressed with though, is the cooler: granted, it makes the card so heavy that you can almost use it as a workout tool...but if it keeps that card virtually silent, then it is absolulety worth it.

Wow, this is a horrible result for Nvidia. This card is more than twice the price of the 3080 and it only offers about 10% more performance? It would be interesting to see if any of these results were due to bottlenecks. This card should be at least 20-30% more powerful on paper. Anyway, with these being 320 watt cards, I am waiting it out (like I have choice haha) to see what AMD has to offer against he 3070. I don't want to have to shell out another $125 for a decent 750 watt power supply. I suspect that AMD will not beat the 3080, but will have a card that is highly competitive with the 3070, maybe even one that beats it a little at the same price point.

There's no surprises here right? Minor performance uplift for significantly higher price. Exactly as the Titan series always has been (and other than a name change this is a Titan). It's the best GPU money can buy right now. And most people don't need it. For those who do or can afford it, it's great. For those that don't/can't, the 3080 is amazing price to perf option instead.
I see no downsides here (other than the 3080 being hard to obtain right now)
Well, I would say that the surprise is how minor the performance uplift is given the spec sheet. I would have expected at least 20%-30%, and given the difference between the 2080 and the 2080 Ti is larger and the price difference is smaller, so yeah, I would say this is a surprise. I would also expect though that this early benchmark is not the final word, Nvidia will get this thing running a little better through driver updates.

Amd boys still shocked their favourite performance/watt king is 3 gens behind now

If you can't afford something due to being poor, then just don't buy it and don't insult the company which actually innovates instead of gluing dies together.

Also, stop making benches with 3950x, that cpu is pathetic, slower than 3800x in gaming, often just on par with 3600x due to the glued design and latency penalties and IT IS A MASSIVE BOTTLENECK @1080p and 1440p and depending on a game engine, even in 4K.

You only make those cards look bad.

This review basically kills 3090.
Regular users won't buy this gpu at $1500.
I agree, but I expect that the difference between these cards will get larger as Nvidia rolls out drivers and more vram demanding games are released. Still, at twice the costs, its a big disappointment for anyone that can shell out 3X the cost of a console for a single graphics card.

Back