Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Review: Can It Hit the Mainstream at $800?

7900 XT at 899 is DOA, but the 4070Ti being slower (7 or so%), cheats with fake frames generation, cost 100 less (11%) than the 7900 XT, yet is not DOA?

Better, another overpriced nvidia GPU that gets a 80/100 score.

Whereas the 7900 XTX should cost no more than $900, the 4070 Ti should be $700 at most.
So in short, you get previous-gen flagship performance for $800, which in today's market doesn't seem all that bad.

No, no, no, stop the excuses.

None of these GPU are worth this much. But worse part is, the only reason for that comment is because you wont dare to say straight up that nvidia is taking us and the whole industry for a ride with that price.

4070 should cost tops 400 and a Ti should be 450.

Same for the stupidly named 7900 XT, that GPU is really a 7800 XT.

I get it, in the influencers eyes, nvidia simply doesnt do anything wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
7900 XT at 899 is DOA, but the 4070Ti being slower, cheats with fake frames generation, cost 100 less than the 7900 XT, yet is not DOA?
The 7900xt was 17% slower then the 7900xtx, but only 10% cheaper, hence why it was DOA. Not that hard to understand.
No, no, no, stop the excuses, none of these GPU are worth this much. But worse part is, the only reason for that comment is because you wont dare to say straight up that nvidia is taking us and the whole industry for a ride with that price.

Ok, lets look at this like an adult, yeah?

Nvidia's net margin last year was 20%

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/...nd historical gross margin,31, 2022 is 20.85%.

Now, this includes their extremely expensive datacenter stuff. Datacenter make sup roughly 65% of nvidia's revenue for any given year. They do not split net revenue by department, but one can assume that the datacenter is making the lions share of net margin. There's a reason AMD was losing money despite great GPU sales of the 7000 and 200 series.

I agree that GPUs are too pricy, but when the VRAM alone cost nearly $200 and TSMC is jacking up prices of silicon almost quarterly, what does one expect will happen? The whole market has gotten a lot more expensive. TSMC 4nm isnt cheap and nvidia is not in a bubble. It's very likely given silicon and VRAM pricing that at $450 a 470ti would be losing nvidia money for every sale.

What matters is price/performance, not price/name.

You are letting your bias cloud your judgement.

Great....another fantastic card. AMD and Nvidia both hitting home runs this generation. What a great time to be alive.

A tempting proposition. I might pick one up for my second PC which is still getting by with a 2080Ti.
Let's see what supply is like.

The 7900xt was 17% slower then the 7900xtx, but only 10% cheaper, hence why it was DOA. Not that hard to understand.
Oh boy, here we go with the mental gymnastics.

What matters is price/performance, not price/name.
Some people simply like to move the goal post. But ok, let me fill the blanks that I left, what I meant by the name was supposed to imply the correct price. In this case, both AMD and nvidia are riding us dry with the percentage in performance increases with the same percentage added to the prices. That is not progress.

For the rest of your comment, feel free to find the answers here, because honestly, its tiresome for the nvidia white knights to continue coming out on their defense without observing how they are driving the whole gaming market down.

7900 XT at 899 is DOA, but the 4070Ti being slower, cheats with fake frames generation, cost 100 less than the 7900 XT, yet is not DOA?

Better, another overpriced nvidia GPU that gets a 80/100 score.

No, no, no, stop the excuses, none of these GPU are worth this much. But worse part is, the only reason for that comment is because you wont dare to say straight up that nvidia is taking us and the whole industry for a ride with that price.

I don't see any "influencer" saying NVIDIA isn't charging too much. With the number of cards sold at scalper prices there was no way NVIDIA wasn't going to notice. If people didn't buy them at such high prices, they would lower their prices. NVIDIA is simply pricing them as high as they think they can get away with and so is AMD.

Crappy card, it goes for 1K EUR over here.

This wont change anything.
I checked mindfactory.de and they didn't have any for sale there. Also the card isn't "crappy" it's MSRP is just higher than it should be. Why are you upset about a price when they aren't for sale yet? They don't go on sale until the 5th.

The 40 series by all rights should be Nvidia's most exciting release ever. If we forget the price tag for a moment, the 4070 Ti is a seriously impressive card. It's AD104 and it goes toe to toe with the very best A102 chips from the previous generation. The 4090 of course is an amazing generational leap over. But, Nvidia decided that those gains are going to cost you way, way more than previous generational gains. So instead of the 4070 Ti being a $600 GPU it's an $800 GPU. The 4080 is of course even more egregious. And so, I'm left completely unexcited about this generation of GPUs. I guess $800 for 3090 Ti performance is "okay", but is it really? The 3090 Ti was a ridiculous product with a ridiculous original price tag, the market quickly rejected it at that price and it dipped to about $1000 pretty quick. So, you can't say it's an $800 GPU that performs like a $2000 GPU from last generation, but it's an $800 GPU that performs slightly worse than a $1000 GPU from last generation.

Naturally, we're seriously questioning how real this $800 MSRP is going to be in the short and mid term, so we're currently of the position that we'll believe you can buy an RTX 4070 Ti for $800 when we see it.

Glad to see that you are now more cautious towards nVidia‘s msrp than you used to.
I very much doubt $800 will be a thing though.

We can do a quick Newegg check if cards are available for MSRP:

4090 ($ 1,599) - nope
4080 ($ 1,199) - nope

Let‘s try older cards
3060 ($329) - nope
3050 - nope

Now to be fair, the 7900 XTX isn‘t available for msrp at Newegg (only one overpriced model from Hong Kong, however the 7900 XT is.

Oh boy, here we go with the mental gymnastics.

Some people simply like to move the goal post. But ok, let me fill the blanks that I left, what I meant by the name was supposed to imply the correct price. In this case, both AMD and nvidia are riding us dry with the percentage in performance increases with the same percentage added to the prices. That is not progress.

For the rest of your comment, feel free to find the answers here, because honestly, its tiresome for the nvidia white knights to continue coming out on their defense without observing how they are driving the whole gaming market down.

Any reasonable conversation wont happen so long as you keep being emotional and call everyone who disagrees with you names.

Inflation is a thing. Everything costs more. You are not going to get new GPUs on a process that is more then double the cost of the previous one for $400, that simply isn't happening. AMD wont do it either. People cannot accept that the world is experiencing severe stagflation yet again.

The 4070ti offers 100% better perf/$ then the 3090 did at 1080p and roughly 85% better perf/$ at 1440p. Does that hep you?

Datacenter make sup roughly 65% of nvidia's revenue for any given year. They do not split net revenue by department, but one can assume that the datacenter is making the lions share of net margin.
Nvidia does in its financial statements. For example, in the quarter ending October 2022, the data center division had a revenue of $3.83 billion, gaming was $1.57 billion, provis was $0.2 billion, and automotive & embedded brought in $0.25 billion.
I agree that GPUs are too pricy, but when the VRAM alone cost nearly $200 and TSMC is jacking up prices of silicon almost quarterly, what does one expect will happen? The whole market has gotten a lot more expensive. TSMC 4nm isnt cheap and nvidia is not in a bubble. It's very likely given silicon and VRAM pricing that at $450 a 470ti would be losing nvidia money for every sale.
Given that the 4070 Ti's GDDR6X is only made by Micron and only used by Nvidia, the cost of the RAM is going to be notably higher than GDDR6. A couple of years ago, the latter was around $15 per module, bulk, but speeds have gone up quite a bit since then. I wouldn't be surprised if 21 Gbps GDDR6X was $20+ per module, though not as high as $33, which is how much it would be if the six modules on the 4070 Ti cost $200.

It is interesting to note that Nvidia has successively increased the price of the higher-spec xx70 model for 4 generations. The 3070 Ti, on Samsung's cheap 8N and 8 GDDR6X modules, launched at $599 which makes the 4070 Ti 33% more expensive. The older model itself was 20% more than the 2070 Super, which was 25% more than the 1070 Ti; that Pascal model was 25% more expensive than the old GTX 970. Had Nvidia used the same increases, between 20 and 25%, for the jump from Ampere to Ada, the 4070 Ti would have been between $718 and $748.

Of course, this was never going to be a 4070 Ti -- let's not forget that this is Nvidia's aborted attempt at pulling the wool over the consumer's eyes, with its '4080 12GB' farce.

🤦🏻‍♂️Freesync works on gsync monitor. I have 6900xt with asus Pg32uqx (gsync branded monitor).
Freesync is not even on the same planet as G-Sync, when it comes to features and VRR refresh support :-D

And a G-Sync-equipped monitor gives you much more than complete VRR support in terms of features and quality.

This won't be an issue for the time being (with a GeForce RTX 3080), but it could be in the future...

Freesync is not even on the same planet as G-Sync, when it comes to features and VRR refresh support :-D

And a G-Sync-equipped monitor gives you much more than complete VRR support in terms of features and quality.

This won't be an issue for the time being (with a GeForce RTX 3080), but it could be in the future...
Wow you really drank the nvidia kool-aid

Back