Nvidia gives statement on RTX 3090 Ti, potential launch date spotted

midian182

Staff member
Recap: Is Nvidia hoping people will just forget about the RTX 3090 Ti? The company said it would announce more details on the upcoming Ampere flagship in January following its CES unveiling, but we’re now two weeks into February and still haven’t heard a thing. It has, however, given the first official statement regarding the card: a confirmation that the company doesn’t have anything to share.

When Nvidia Senior VP Jeff Fisher gave us a brief look at the RTX 3090 Ti during CES at the start of the year and revealed some of its specs, he assured fans that more details would follow “later this month.” But January passed without a word from team green about the monster GPU.

Now, after seemingly refusing to answer questions relating to the RTX 3090 Ti, The Verge has managed to get Nvidia to go on the record, though it’s not exactly an enlightening statement.

“We don’t currently have more info to share on the RTX 3090 Ti, but we’ll be in touch when we do,” said Nvidia spokesperson Jen Andersson.

The RTX 3090 Ti was originally set to launch on January 27, but the consensus among those in the know is that problems were discovered in the card’s hardware, likely to be the PCB, as well as the GPU’s BIOS. VideoCardz writes that there were also issues with the 21 Gbps GDDR6X memory under very specific test scenarios, though neither Nvidia nor its board partners have confirmed these are the reasons behind the delay.

There might be some good news for those looking forward to, and who can afford, an RTX 3090 Ti. Reliable leaker @momomo_us tweeted that a Danish retailer called Motus.dk has listed an ETA for Asus RTX 3090 Ti cards as March 1 (above). Just don't expect them to be remotely affordable or in stock for very long—some reports say pre-sale third-party cards have been spotted on overseas retail sites priced between $3,800 and $5,500.

Permalink to story.

I think that besides my "high end fashion" style of marketing hypothesis (which was fun but in hindsight, not very likely) I think they are probably just not getting the yields they need to build up inventory and maintain it.

And if they are, it's probably not a priority to produce those chips as 3090ti vs producing and selling them as compute products for data centers instead: once they produce more of them than they can quickly sell to those consumers they'll start building up stock to release a 3090ti but well, probably just not fast enough.

I guess they regret saying "more info coming later this month" and will probably leave such statements as "more info coming soon" for future plans on such difficult-to-mass-produce dies.

We'll give you 5% more performance for around $2000 over the original $1499 MSRP.

In what world does this make sense?
This world, planet earth. Because most people aren’t upgrading from a 3090 and we live in a world where there is overwhelming demand for graphics cards. This card will sell out on day one, mostly to gamers who are happy to spend this kind of cash.

The fact is there is a lot of people out there who have money and are willing to pay these prices. We are going to have to get used to that. The days of $500 for a top end GPU is well and truly in the history books now.

Have a 3090, about to snag a 3090 Ti, can't wait for the 3090 Super to release!

Miners and scalpers with bots. Gamers won't be able to touch them until they're on eBay.
Yeah that’s true. Or if gamers get lucky on the newest shuffle etc. This part is shaping up to be popular with miners, it’s quite amusing hearing mining forums calling Nvidia “anti-consumer” for implementing LHR which does actually have a big impact on miners, even cracked it reduces hash rates by 30% still. The 3090 ti is unlikely to be an LHR card and with the fastest memory subsystem ever implemented on a card the miners are salivating. But it does have a TDP of 450 watts so it might take some heavy tweaking to get it properly efficient at mining.

Miners and scalpers with bots. Gamers won't be able to touch them until they're on eBay.

Credit Cards are POWER.

You can either buy now and pay later - regardless: you got the physical product

Or buy now and pay in cash immediately while pocketing up to 3% back in rewards.

Can't lose.

Just putting out another video card that no one wants to buy at scalpers pricing. At this point I would be fine if the whole crypto market crashed. This is getting ridiculous between the chip shortage and crypto. I don't even want to look up specs on a new video card until I know they are actually affordable.

Does anyone actually care about this one way or the other? The RTX 3090 Ti is the only video card of this generation that's actually MORE irrelevant than the RX 6500 XT.

Why are you even bothering to report on this? If it ever does come out, I hope that you shred it worse than the RX 6500 XT because it WILL be worse. I say that as someone who thinks that the RX 6500 XT deserved every bit of criticism that it received.

Back