Nvidia might launch an RTX 4060 Ti variant with 16 GB of VRAM this summer

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Nvidia's recent graphics card launches haven't been well received by gamers, and that's partly because the company has chosen to be stingy with VRAM capacity on products that cost a pretty penny. However, the rumor mill says Team Green may soon introduce an RTX 4060 Ti with 16 gigabytes of VRAM – a welcome change of heart if it turns out to be true.

Nvidia is expected to announce its GeForce RTX 4060 Ti around Computex later this month, and many gamers are hoping for Ada Lovelace to drop below the $400 price point. Pricing is a major issue with the RTX 40 series – so much so that Nvidia reportedly cut the supply of RTX 4070 GPUs for a month in response to slower-than-expected sales.

Early retailer listings suggest the new card will come equipped with just eight gigabytes of GDDR6 memory, which is a modest amount and could limit its appeal to gamers looking to play the latest AAA titles. Our own Steven Walton found the performance of some Ampere graphics cards like the RTX 3070 is being held back by their limited frame buffer, and this can even lead to AMD equivalents managing better ray-tracing performance where you would expect the opposite.

According to reliable leaker MEGAsizeGPU, Nvidia may be willing to do some course correction with the RTX 40 series, albeit with small turns. The company will reportedly announce three RTX 4060 cards later this month, including an RTX 4060 Ti with 16 gigabytes of VRAM.

Nvidia may announce all three models later this month, but the 16-gigabyte SKU and well as the regular RTX 4060 won't land on store shelves until July at the earliest. Unfortunately, this means the only Nvidia card that will be available to buy before summer is the 8-gigabyte variant of the RTX 4060 Ti, and this may be a tough sell even around a $400 price point.

Little else is known about these three cards at the time of writing this. Leaked pre-launch materials suggest they'll utilize a PCIe 4.0 x8 interface and a 128-bit memory bus, both of which would represent downgrades from the RTX 3060/3060Ti.

This seems to be a common theme with the RTX 40 series, but as we've seen with the RTX 4080, RTX 4070 Ti, and the RTX 4070, Team Green did manage some pretty impressive generational performance improvements with slightly less power consumption. Ultimately, the price will make or break mainstream RTX 40 series cards, as gamers have proven they're much less inclined to splurge on an expensive upgrade in the current economic climate.

Permalink to story.

I do not buy it at all that Nvidia is finally listening to gamers.

As I mentioned before Nvidia will provide 16GB VRAM to the cards which do not have enough performance for actually using and benefitting from it, or only to the top most expensive one.
They did it in the past, anybody recall 3060 12 GB while 3070 and 3070ti have only 8GB, and they want to do it from now on.

I called this "Nvidia VRam vs performance conjecture" and is one of many Nvidia anticonsumers dark pattern business models:
Nvidia will offer the proper Vram and performance only to their top most expensive videocards, the rest of them will not have enough VRam, or enough performance, or both, to play the games released almost 2 years after, without bottlenecks or stutters.

Another one is "Nvidia DLSSxxx conjecture":
DLSSx version number will increase with every "new" Nvidia generation videocards and will "work" only on that last generation.
Spoiler warning: DLSS4 will come and it's new added features will "work" only for the next gen Nvidia 5xxx or 6xxx videocards.

Last edited:
If this is true then no-one is going to bother buying a 4060 or 4060ti with only 8GB of memory. If they also add on a $100 surcharge for a 16gb memory then that will limit sales.

NVIDIA should just change their plans, cut prices on current GPUS and then introduce 16gb replacements.

Lol that should piss off the 4070/4070ti crowd
Some of them, perhaps, but in games that have settings that can overload the 12 GB in the 4070/Tis, a 4060 Ti isn't going to perform massively better, if at all. Its specs obviously haven't been fully confirmed yet, but the general rumor mill puts it roughly equal to half a 4070 Ti, in terms of CUDA cores, TMUs, ROPs, and performance metrics.

What would cheese them off would be AIB vendors releasing 24 GB versions of the 70 series, but I suspect Nvidia has issued a firm 'no' to that one.

Nvidia will offer the proper Vram and performance only to their top most expensive videocards, the rest of them will not have enough VRam, or enough performance, or both, to play the games released almost 2 years after, without bottlenecks or stutters.
Even if every GPU vendor fielded every recent and forthcoming model with as much RAM as it can physically cope with, there will still be thousands of potential players that won't have hardware with as much memory.

The onus is on developers to utilize the hardware that's on the market properly. Correctly coded games shouldn't have issues with VRAM levels. If asset streaming is a critical part of the engine then the routine should identify the available memory budget and stick to it consistently. For those that simply load everything in one go, then the settings menu should thoroughly warn the user if settings are potentially going to cause a budget overload.

In less than 2 years, NV will launch the "Super" variants with more Vram, and the sheeps will re-buy and revere jensen for being so good for them...

The onus is on developers to utilize the hardware that's on the market properly. Correctly coded games shouldn't have issues with VRAM levels. If asset streaming is a critical part of the engine then the routine should identify the available memory budget and stick to it consistently. For those that simply load everything in one go, then the settings menu should thoroughly warn the user if settings are potentially going to cause a budget overload.
Yeah we shouldn't need to reduce render resolution and use upscaler or frame generation tech but yet here we are

Yeah we shouldn't need to reduce render resolution and use upscaler or frame generation tech but yet here we are
That’s a different problem altogether, though. Exceeding VRAM budgets is avoidable.

So yet again Ngreedia will be giving more memory to a 60 class card than a 70 class card. You can't make this level of stupid up. To think the overpriced 4070 Ti was actually gonna be a 4080.

I hope Intel Battlemage blows them out of the water. Wish I could say I had faith in AMD but they're in many ways worse than Nvidia, and have had ample opportunity to improve in the GPU sector but have failed.

There's no way I'm going to pay 3x the price for a 60 series card. And likely 3x for the 50 series with these. Nvidia can miss me with that nonsense.

I have an RDNA2 GPU that was intended to be a stopgap in my main build, and a Pascal in my backup/old. I don't HAVE to buy anything more, this was a hobby.

Back