Nvidia releases 3DTV Play software

Emil

Staff

Nvidia today released 3DTV Play, which allows you to connect an Nvidia 3D Vision PC or notebook to a 3D HDTV (HDMI 1.4 and compatible 3D glasses required). You can then play 3D games, watch 3D Blu-ray movies, view 3D photos, and experience other 3D content in 1080p HD. Nvidia says there are nearly 500 games available in 3D, including StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Mafia II, and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Dell will be bundling 3DTV Play on new XPS laptops (also introduced today). Home theater PC (HTPCs) models from ASRock and Zotac will also include the software, and Nvidia says it will be bundled with a variety of new computer systems to be announced in the coming months.

Nvidia 3DTV Play software is available to consumers in three ways: as a free upgrade for all 3D Vision PCs via the latest 260 GeForce drivers, bundled on preconfigured PCs and notebooks, or for purchase next month at Nvidia.com as an upgrade for existing PCs that have an Nvidia GeForce GPU and Windows 7.

"3D Games, video and photos on a big screen 3D HDTV is an amazing experience," Phil Eisler, general manager of 3D Vision at Nvidia, said in a statement. "GeForce PCs with 3DTV Play software enable users to play nearly 500 games on a 3D TV. That's far more than any other platform."

Permalink to story.

So...all this is 3D then? I couldn't tell. It's not like the article was littered with the term "3D" or anything, lol.

I still think it's a little too early for this 3D craze as the technology is still too flawed. I think that until we get to affordable glasses free TVs with no limited viewing angles (or atleast better than what the new glasses free TVs are currently offering), things like this are a little premature...too ahead of its time. This tech still has a lot more work that needs to be done.

Back