Nvidia releases WHQL-certified GeForce 266.58 drivers

Jos

Staff

Nvidia has just pushed out new WHQL-certified GeForce drivers, binging the package up to version 266.58. In addition to the usual fixes and performance enhancements in games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Far Cry 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and several others, the new driver also brings ambient occlusion support for Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty to improve the quality of lighting, shadows, and depth perception in many parts of the game.

There are also some improvements for Nvidia Surround as well as new and enhanced SLI profiles for various games, an updated PhysX System Software, 3D Vision support for various games and applications, 3D Vision game profiles, and support for devices like 3D LCD monitors, projectors and all-in-one PCs. You can take an in-depth look at the changes and download the latest release by clicking on the appropriate OS below:

Download: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Permalink to story.

Well that was quick. They just came out with a new driver a couple of weeks ago. nVidia definitely does a great job on keep their drivers up to date.

now if they'd only fix the complete *** performance in older games (q3 based fps's for one) and we'd be set.

Just finished installing. Starcraft 2 still runs like crap with SSAO on, although perhaps a touch smoother. No measurable difference in Bad Company 2 considering the GTX580 already demolishes that game.

The biggest and best fix (for me) is that they finally fixed the GTX 580 support for Adobe Photoshop CS5 64 bit. Thank you Nvidia!

This is why I love Nvidia. They don't mess around when it comes down to keeping their drivers up to date.

Lurker101 said:
Yeah, forget stability. Constant updates are what's important.

And what stability issues do you have?

If you say you own an AMD card, then i'll pre-laugh at the idea of you having problems with current Nvidia cards.

Actually, I've currently got a GTX 295 and it's still running modern games without any real fuss. The trouble is that a lot of nVidia drivers have been on the crashy side of things. Every so often, they manage to come out with some remarkably stable drivers. That's not as often as I'd like though. Between the 190.62 and the 260.99 drivers (not including those two obviously, they weren't crashy) most of the WHQL drivers caused various random CTDs and BSODs for me. Strangely enough, it's the beta drivers that have been the least troublesome. I will say that the 260.89 and the 260.99 drivers have been fine for me though and I have no idea about the 266.35 beta because I haven't tried it.

World of Warcraft and SLI!!?? I can only imagine the frames I'll be getting on that. Does anybody know if BFBC2 and Dirt 2 actually support sli?

i have geforce with cuda does that mean sumthing? plz i need to know what im workin with thank you

New drivers are great but what exactly do owners of Geforce 8 and GTX 200 series cards, like myself, have to look forward to except for a change in the version number ?

@fpsgamerJR62
Not a great deal regarding performance...but then, these cards should already be as driver optimized as it's likely to get. Had you not realized that virtually all the weird performance holes and application problems that beset new cards don't affect GF6,7,8,9 and GTX2xx models?
If a new game/ game engine launches and you can't play it commensurate with the cards' hardware ability then there is a genuine cause for concern.

Nice, i will give them a try @ home

This is one of the main reasons i stick with Nvidia!Drivers Up to date.

Back