Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti "almost certain" to arrive in April, claims report

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We've been hearing about an RTX 3080 Ti for a while now, though Nvidia has remained typically tight-lipped about the prospect of a new high-end Ampere card. According to latest rumors, not only is the RTX 3080 Ti in the works, it is "almost certain" to arrive in mid-April.

Talk of an RTX 3080 Ti stretches back months. Original reports claimed that the card would feature 20GB GDDR6X 320-bit memory—4GB shy of the RTX 3090—but it's now believed to feature 12GB GDDR6X 384-bit, which is just 2GB more than the RTX 3080.

According to Chinese site MyDrivers (highlighted by regular leaker @momomo_us), the RTX 3080 Ti "is almost certain to be released around mid-April."

A heavy dose of salt needs to be taken with this claim, though the sheer number of reports regarding the RTX 3080 Ti does suggest it will arrive at some point.

It's speculated that the RTX 3080 Ti will feature a GA102 GPU with 10,240 CUDA cores, down from the 10,496 that was initially reported. We recently heard that it would feature the same Ethereum mining limiter as the RTX 3060—something we're expecting to see in all future RTX cards, including a possible RTX 3070 Ti.

Expect an RTX 3080 Ti to come with a $999 MSRP, placing it between the $699 RTX 3080 and $1,499 RTX 3090. That price would put it on par with AMD's Radeon RX 6900 XT.

If an RTX 3080 Ti does arrive next month, expect it to face the same availability issues as every other new piece of PC hardware and games console right now, a result of the global semiconductor shortage, high demand, and scalpers. Still, another option in the Ampere line would be welcome once the crisis alleviates either later this year or sometime in 2022, depending on who you believe.

Permalink to story.

“Expect MSRP of around $999”

Lol yeah...

Given the current situation, I’m expecting the actual retail price to equal or possibly even exceed the retail launch price of the 3090. The store where I purchased my Strix 3090 at launch now wants almost 50% more than what I paid for it and even at that price, you still have to wait for it since it’s not in stock.

Why are they messing around like this? Concentrate on getting better yields and more of your current products out, not making new ones. 3080's have been completely unavailable since Christmas - so what is the point of this?

3080's have been completely unavailable since Christmas - so what is the point of this?

to Put dust in the eyes of Investors and Game alike and prtend that they have 100% Sales and their normal "Gaming market" is the reason for boost while infact its not..

best for them is to sell to FULL MINERS till crypto crashes..(maybe a year??)

If true I will try and get one on the preorder on the Nvidia page. If I can get it I can either use it and enjoy higher frame rates than my 2080, or more likely I will list it on eBay and make a killing.

This is the thing with scalpers, if you can’t beat them, join them.

The amusing part is that despite this people will still complain about the MSRP.

Why are they messing around like this? Concentrate on getting better yields and more of your current products out, not making new ones. 3080's have been completely unavailable since Christmas - so what is the point of this?
Well, people want mining mitigations, the easiest way to do that is a new tier of products (3060, 3080ti) that have said mitigations to make LE GAMERS feel happy, while maintaining the old products (3060ti, 3070, 3080) mitigation free for miners to buy. Makes financial sense, once supply improves both markets will ahve a card, and demand will be high enough theyll never have to cut prices.

“Expect MSRP of around $999”

Lol yeah...

Given the current situation, I’m expecting the actual retail price to equal or possibly even exceed the retail launch price of the 3090. The store where I purchased my Strix 3090 at launch now wants almost 50% more than what I paid for it and even at that price, you still have to wait for it since it’s not in stock.

Well then, you need to stalk Microcenter for a 3090 instead.

It's actually amazing how much people are paying for these GPU nowadays.

Years ago I was ridiculed for wasting my money on a Titan X.

Years ago I was ridiculed for wasting my money on a Titan Xp.

Years ago, I got a 2080ti, which cost more than the X and Xp and that was considered the best card you could get.

NOW, I drop $1799 ($1955 with tax) on a 3090FTW3 and I'm considered "lucky" because most people can't even find a 3080 at that price and the 3090's maybe closer to $2600.

It's a damn shame what this stupid Crypto Ponzi Scheme has done to the market. They ruined the RTX 2000 launch and then they did it again.

Because if it really is going to be a 12 memory controller chip model, then these dies are essentially ones that fail to meet the specifications for RTX 3090 and A6000 cards. That means that there's not going to be many dies like this, compared to those for the RTX 3080 - so either Nvidia disables more elements within the chip and sells them as 3080-spec SKUs, and only increases that product line's output by a small percentage, or they create a new SKU for them.

Years ago, I got a 2080ti, which cost more than the X and Xp and that was considered the best card you could get.

NOW, I drop $1799 ($1955 with tax) on a 3090FTW3 and I'm considered "lucky" because most people can't even find a 3080 at that price and the 3090's maybe closer to $2600.

It's a damn shame what this stupid Crypto Ponzi Scheme has done to the market. They ruined the RTX 2000 launch and then they did it again.

You're trying too hard to disguise yet another one of your flex posts...

Or not sink to their level maybe?
I don’t think it is is “sinking to their level”. Scalping graphics cards is fair game, they are 100% luxury items. I’d effectively be depriving some rich gamer (rich enough to spend like $1000 at msrp) and selling it off for profit so I can pay off my mortgage.

If I were scalping bread or medicine I’d be a ****. But graphics cards? Gamers don’t have the right to game over others seeking to make profits.

You should go on those reddit channels - where people post great deals they got - best just to post on the frugal channel - might even get a silver

Well then, you need to stalk Microcenter for a 3090 instead.
Nearest Microcenter is about 3090 miles from where I live lol. I don’t know of any stores in my country that actually get physical GPU stock that they put on shelves, so the possibility of grabbing one in a store is close to zero. I’m just glad I got one of the first Strix 3090s in my country. Even at MSRP, the 3090 isn’t really worth it. Now that stores have joined in on the scalping? Yeah, it’s a complete waste.

Another paper launch for a non-existent product.

On the other hand, I rescued an NVIDIA Quadro K6000 12GB from the e-waste pile at my work today. It's basically a GeForce GTX Titan with double the VRAM, so I'll count that as a win.

I got a 3090 without any problem within 2 weeks of release from amazon UK. It was around £1550. Its simply a stunning card.

And now we see a 3080ti with 12gb vram. It's not much is it?

For the extra few hundred quid you'll get a gpu that is so powerful that you can skip the 40 series.

The 3080 ti with only 12gb vram isn't future proofed so you won't be able to skip the 40 series.

The 3080 and 90 are 4k ultra cards. If you aren't playing at this level then it's a waste of money.

But the 3080 is woefully short of vram by today's standards.

If you want to max out odyssey then you need 16gb vram. And odyssey is 18 months old. Valhalla needs around 13gb to be fully maxed out.

I've always thought the 3080 falls in between what's needed.

I also suspect that many buy the 3080 for bragging rights as less than 3% of gamers play at 4k.

In my view the only card for serious 4k gamers who like to push the render to 8k with upscaling is the 3090.

Sure people say it's only 10% faster than the 3080. But that's not the full story as the 3090 can run games at settings that the 3080 can't get near due to vram limitations.

I was never going to waste my money on such a card as I like to max out every game without worry.

I got a 3090 without any problem within 2 weeks of release from amazon UK. It was around £1550. Its simply a stunning card.

And now we see a 3080ti with 12gb vram. It's not much is it?

For the extra few hundred quid you'll get a gpu that is so powerful that you can skip the 40 series.

The 3080 ti with only 12gb vram isn't future proofed so you won't be able to skip the 40 series.

The 3080 and 90 are 4k ultra cards. If you aren't playing at this level then it's a waste of money.

But the 3080 is woefully short of vram by today's standards.

If you want to max out odyssey then you need 16gb vram. And odyssey is 18 months old. Valhalla needs around 13gb to be fully maxed out.

I've always thought the 3080 falls in between what's needed.

I also suspect that many buy the 3080 for bragging rights as less than 3% of gamers play at 4k.

In my view the only card for serious 4k gamers who like to push the render to 8k with upscaling is the 3090.

Sure people say it's only 10% faster than the 3080. But that's not the full story as the 3090 can run games at settings that the 3080 can't get near due to vram limitations.

I was never going to waste my money on such a card as I like to max out every game without worry.
You don’t need 16GB to max out AC Odyssey. And you don’t need 13GB for Valhalla. Oh and the 40xx or whatever Nvidias next generation is called will all be quite a big step ahead of the 3090.

The 3090 is an awful buy for gamers but an excellent buy for miners.

You don’t need 16GB to max out AC Odyssey. And you don’t need 13GB for Valhalla. Oh and the 40xx or whatever Nvidias next generation is called will all be quite a big step ahead of the 3090.

The 3090 is an awful buy for gamers but an excellent buy for miners.
Have you tried to max out those games. If so you would know how much vram it takes.
Then again if you are stuck with the 3080 you can't max out these games.

Try it and see fit yourself how much vram it takes. That's absolutely everything maxed out with render on 200.

Last time I checked a card like the 3080 can't get anywhere near maxing these these games out.

If you say these games don't need that much vram to run a max settings. How much vram does it take?

For people who like to run their games totally maxed out at 4k then the 3080 is a shocking card with a pitiful amount of vram.

3080 gamers will also have buy the 40 series as they can't skip a generation.

Those two cards will cost considerably more than a 3090 does. Ive saved money in the long run.

I'm not one of those who needs to put photos on reddit showing off my hardware. The 3080 crowd get off on these antics. Such people can never skip a generation as they can't show off a card that's three years old.

But you'll never accept this.

Such is life.

Last edited:
Have you tried to max out those games. If so you would know how much vram it takes.
Then again if you are stuck with the 3080 you can't max out these games.

Try it and see fit yourself how much vram it takes. That's absolutely everything maxed out with render on 200.

Last time I checked a card like the 3080 can't get anywhere near maxing these these games out.

If you say these games don't need that much vram to run a max settings. How much vram does it take?
I can max these games with a 2080. You are probably reading that your system is using more than 8GB. But that doesn’t mean you need it. The system can allocate more resources to RAM that is not being used.

I’m sorry but you think you need more than 8GB to max these games then you are flat out wrong. On AC Valhalla with a 3 year old 2080 I’m maxed out with about 80-90fps. There are dozens of benchmarks showing cards with 8GB less running the game maxed out at good frame rates.

Don’t get me wrong the 3090s 24GB is very useful but there’s very very few games that need more than 8GB today. Ray tracing uses a lot of memory so it’s probably most useful there.

Just be prepared, the 4080 or whatever it will be called will be significantly faster and cheaper.

Back