Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti is a top seller in Germany, climbs on Amazon and Newegg charts

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Nvidia's RTX 4070 Ti arrived at the start of the month with an MSRP of $800. Most people agree that it's too expensive, and finding one at this price is no easy feat (but still doable). But the criticism doesn't appear to be damaging sales of the latest Lovelace entry, especially in Germany.

TechEpiphany (via VideoCardz) tweeted the latest sales figures from German hardware retailer Mindfactory, which show that 545 RTX 4070 Ti models were sold in the third week of January alone. For comparison, that's more than the combined sales of the Radeon RX 7900 XTX, RX 7900 XT, and Intel Arc A770/A380 -- only 20 Intel cards were sold in the same week, admittedly.

Interestingly, Mindfactory's stats show that the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX sold 300 units, over 100 more than the RTX 4080 it competes against.

The GeForce RTX 4070 Ti isn't performing too shabbily in the US, either. It's the third best-selling graphics card on Amazon, sitting behind the RTX 3060 and Ti variant, and it takes up two positions on Newegg's best-selling GPU chart: fifth and eighth.

As we know, the RTX 4070 Ti started life as the $900 RTX 4080 12GB last year. The backlash against the price and the difference in specs compared to the RTX 4080 16GB led to Nvidia "unlaunching" the card and rebranding it as the RTX 4070 Ti, but the $100 discount hasn't proved popular -- we said in our review that it shouldn't have an MSRP of more than $700.

Furthermore, the lack of Founders Edition cards and the fact that this is only Nvidia's recommendation means few models can be found at this price.

Even add-in board partner MSI mocked Nvidia's pricing strategy. In a quickly deleted tweet, the company noted that the RTX 4070 Ti was available from its store at a cost "not as bad as a 4080."

Another element noted by TechSpot is that the RTX 4070 Ti's cost per frame—the true value it offers—is almost the same as the RTX 3070.

Permalink to story.

A lot of us aren't going to like it, but the reality is there are very few alternatives at the high end. Last gen prices are also still far too high.

Amazon's best-selling list in the UK is a tad borked -- depending on what you specifically search for, you get two main lists:

'Best Sellers'

'Best Sellers in Graphics Cards'

In the former, there's no sign of any of AMD, Intel, or Nvidia's latest products -- last gen and much older stuff only. In the second list, the RTX 4090 is the 3rd best-selling card, the RTX 4070 Ti is 17th, the RTX 4080 is 23rd, and the RX 7900 XTX is 42nd.

Edit: A quick analysis of Mindfactory's sales figures shows that, in terms of GPU architecture, it roughly goes like this:

Ampere ~ 30.7%
RDNA 2 ~ 29.8%
Ada Lovelace ~ 24.0%
RDNA 3 ~ 12.7%
Turing ~ 1.0%
Ancient crud ~ 0.8%
Pascal ~ 0.5%
Alchemist ~ 0.5%

Edit Part Deux: Although it's a week further on, it's interesting to compare the above sale figures to those almost a full year ago:

Week 3 2023 - 3940 cards sold
Week 4 2022 - 2180 cards sold
RDNA 2 ~ 41.5%
Ampere ~ 36.9%
Turing ~ 17.9%
Pascal ~ 2.3%

Last edited:
Isn't this par for the course with gaming/tech in general?

everyone gripes about something, price/dlc/content etc etc etc, yet still buys the item by the boatloads.

it's whatever though, at this point I'm just watching to see how abusive these companies can get towards their customer bases, sadly it looks like they have alot of slack before anyone does anything, like anyone ever has actually...

I mean, look at some of the recommended specs for games that are popping up. It's legit steam deck or 4080/4090, the middle tiers don't even exist to these people.

At this rate we see price reductions only in dreams. People are so reluctant to throw their hardly earned money to overpriced stuff.

I bought a 3060ti (used, very good) for 200€. I don't know why I would spend more money on a GPU...

It's selling well? But, it's not selling out, especially for models priced above the $850.00. If you were going to buy something like a 3080 at $699, then the $800 4070 Ti, with ~ 15-20% performance gain doesn't look like a bad deal. Especially when you look at the $1200 4080 with a 55% performance gain, but a 71% price increase. The 4070 Ti is at least maintaining that price/performance ratio though we would expect better, it's become obvious that right now we're not going to see better. It's still too much when you consider it's $100 more and not significantly more powerful than a card that launched two years ago, but its available and it's a better deal than either the 4080 or 4090.

It's selling well? But, it's not selling out, especially for models priced above the $850.00. If you were going to buy something like a 3080 at $699, then the $800 4070 Ti, with ~ 15-20% performance gain doesn't look like a bad deal. Especially when you look at the $1200 4080 with a 55% performance gain, but a 71% price increase. The 4070 Ti is at least maintaining that price/performance ratio though we would expect better, it's become obvious that right now we're not going to see better. It's still too much when you consider it's $100 more and not significantly more powerful than a card that launched two years ago, but its available and it's a better deal than either the 4080 or 4090.
Agree. Plus, you can't find a 3080 under $800 now. 30 series pricing is truly messed up. People have 3090 cards for well over $1000 and the 4070 can easily compete with a 3090 and sometimes a 3090 Ti. Someone is smoking crack out there.

Honestly, I was surprised by the initial news claiming these cards were not selling well. This is much more like what I know. Gamers (probably a derogatory term by now) complaining about the prices of games and gaming hardware yet lining up to buy them and post them on Reddit. The amount of abuse they will take has no limit. I don't see the end in sight of this trend when we have a whole generation of people who grew up listening to advertisements as content.

AMD should sell the GPU division and we can watch the fanbois cry when the cheapest nvidia gpu goes for US$2K.

FmmdaHzaEAEdWZN

Top of the charts is not an indication of the product selling well. It may be moving more than others, but does not paint the actual sales. Given how "good value" the RTX 4070 Ti is, if you can constantly find it on the shelves/ online, then it is a clear sign that sales it not good. This is a new product, and I suspect that the supply is also very limited. In fact, none of these USD 800 bucks and above cards are selling well. The RTX 4090 sold very well at the beginning because of enthusiasts and scalpers that are more willing to splurge.

Back