Nvidia rumored to launch RTX 4090 first, RTX 4080 and RTX 4070 to follow

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: With rumors pointing to a potential July announcement date for Nvidia's next-generation RTX 4000 series, the big question consumers want to know is which card will arrive first. According to one notable leaker, it will be the flagship RTX 4090.

As reported by VideoCardz, prolific Twitter leaker Kopite7kimi claims that they have "confirmed" Nvidia will be taking a different approach to Ada Lovelace's release sequence compared to Ampere.

With the current generation of cards, the RTX 3080 arrived first, on September 17, 2020, followed by the RTX 3090 on September 24, then the RTX 3070 on October 29. Kopite7kimi claims that with Lovelace, Nvidia will release in reverse order of power (and expense): RTX 4090 first, followed by the RTX 4080 and the RTX 4070.

Assuming Nvidia uses the same release cadence as Ampere and the RTX 4000 series is announced in mid-July, the RTX 4090 could launch in August. The RTX 4080 might arrive in the same month, with the RTX 4070 getting here in September.

This is all rumor, of course, though Nvidia has reportedly been focusing its development on the AD102 GPU found in the RTX 4090, further suggesting the top product will land first. The card is said to feature 96MB of L2 cache, 16 times more than its predecessor, and a TGP of 600W or more.

The RTX 4080, meanwhile, is said to use the AD103 GPU alongside 16GB GDDR6X while featuring a 400W TGP. And the RTX 4070 will use an AD104 GPU, 12GB of GDDR6 memory, and have a 300W TGP.

Hopefully, we'll find out if the release schedules and spec rumors are accurate in a few weeks. With GPU prices continuing to fall and availability improving, the RTX 4000 series is looking pretty exciting.

Permalink to story.

And here I thought Nvidia couldn't get any worst: Leather jacket man greed knows no bounds: He won't even give you an option under 2000 USD at launch.

Hell if it wasn't for the recent crash he would be delivering his keynote on Cryptoland giving MSRP prices in Ethereum

And here I thought Nvidia couldn't get any worst: Leather jacket man greed knows no bounds: He won't even give you an option under 2000 USD at launch.

Hell if it wasn't for the recent crash he would be delivering his keynote on Cryptoland giving MSRP prices in Ethereum

Hello, I'm an Nvidia shareholder, like many others that visit this site. I'm not old, I buy shares on my phone app and started investing just before the pandemic. Their duty as a company is to make profits from their endeavors, research and passions. There is nothing wrong with this at all.

When you buy earbuds for $100, people in developing countries and the homeless think you're being absurd and frivolous in your spending. Likewise, there are lots of people (in the millions) for whom $2000 for a graphics cards is a reasonable purchase. Nothing wrong with any of this.

Hello, I'm an Nvidia shareholder, like many others that visit this site. I'm not old, I buy shares on my phone app and started investing just before the pandemic. Their duty as a company is to make profits from their endeavors, research and passions. There is nothing wrong with this at all.

When you buy earbuds for $100, people in developing countries and the homeless think you're being absurd and frivolous in your spending. Likewise, there are lots of people (in the millions) for whom $2000 for a graphics cards is a reasonable purchase. Nothing wrong with any of this.
I wouldn't say in the millions and even though I could afford it most certainly is not a reasonable purchase.

Seems like August or fall is going to be an exciting time for graphics between AMD and Nvidia. Plus AMD's next gen cpu's. The only excitement killers and they are big ones, will be availability and cost...

I just hope that once the 3080 and 3070 are out they will be available in sufficient volume and at good (retail!) prices.

That should crater current gen mid and lower range prices, as well.

I am not in the millions evidently. To pay so much money to receive the sun itself is NOT a good deal despite the level of performance.

With the RTX 4060 coming in late 2023 and the RTX 4050 arriving in 2025 if we can be bothered to get out of bed for the "budget" sector anymore?...

There's no point responding to such people, they do not have, cannot be bothered to work so they can have, and will therefore perpetually whinge about not having.

Will you shill the same when those $2000 GPUs turn into $5000 GPUs and then $10000?

What's the upper limit for "individuals" like you? When do you "people" say, ok that's too much evne for me? At $100000 price / consumer GPU?

***** ingnorants. Everything is wrong with this.

Besides their ignorance , I am actually more disappointed at their blind loyalty.

I mean, no benchmarks, no reviews, nothing but rumors and mind you, the rumors are not pretty and yet, they are already in “line” to purchase another nvidia gpu.

Actually, ignorant is the correct word, since smart consumers are becoming extinct.

Likewise, there are lots of people (in the millions) for whom $2000 for a graphics cards is a reasonable purchase. Nothing wrong with any of this.

The rest of your post was good but I LOL'd hard on this line.

There's no point responding to such people, they do not have, cannot be bothered to work so they can have, and will therefore perpetually whinge about not having.

lol so you know this guys employment history from a single post?

Can you give me tonight's lotto's numbers from your magic crystal ball there?

Last edited:
Besides their ignorance , I am actually more disappointed at their blind loyalty.

I mean, no benchmarks, no reviews, nothing but rumors and mind you, the rumors are not pretty and yet, they are already in “line” to purchase another nvidia gpu.

Actually, ignorant is the correct word, since smart consumers are becoming extinct.
amd is doing the same thing. or would do the same thing if they ever compete in the gpu market. with only 2 gpu makers this is what you get. not enough competition.

Oh no, this guy is disappointed, the world doesn't share his views, must be a hard life when everyone who doesn't believe the same thing as you is ignorant...

Yet another nVidia post hijacked by the AMDrones who seem to always say the exact same thing.

Just because there is a $2000 option for a GPU doesn't mean you have to buy it, we aren't all Quantum Physics after all, most of us can settle for mid or upper mid range.

Do you people also get upset when people buy cars that cost more than yours? Houses? TVs?

Just because there is a $2000 option for a GPU doesn't mean you have to buy it
I feel like you are kind of missing the point of the article here: If this is true it means that it won't be "an option" at all.

(I am going to explain why I think there really won't be an option but this might be tl;dr so you can stop reading if you want)

An option implies there's actual tiers of performance to be had: Yes even if you want 'high end' graphics if all you have is a 1440p monitor you will probably be very safe with just a 4070. Maybe even a 4080 if you want Ray Tracing all the time or 120 minimum hz at 1440p all the time sure but even if you want the best, chances are you don't need to pay 2x-3x as much money for the absolute highest end with the card basically doing nothing but idle at that point if you don't actually have something like a 4k 120hz monitor that can actually push the really high end games to those extremes of performance.

Nvidia is explicitly saying "We know there's a need for 1440p high end gamers, in fact we know it's the majority of high end gamers, so we won't actually give them an option other than the 4090 a card that is unnecessarily powerful and unnecessarily power hungry" at least for a good while. And no, this isn't the kind of market of people that would settle for just a 3080 or 3090 once they know there's a card that gives them 20% more performance or more, especially because Nvidia won't keep those cards around or let them go down in price so for a period of time, you actually won't be able to easily find a reasonably priced 3080 or better it's going to be either a 4090 or a really lower tier card like a 3060ti which doesn't really competes with high end offerings even on it's own generation let alone across them.

I feel like you are kind of missing the point of the article here: If this is true it means that it won't be "an option" at all.

(I am going to explain why I think there really won't be an option but this might be tl;dr so you can stop reading if you want)

An option implies there's actual tiers of performance to be had: Yes even if you want 'high end' graphics if all you have is a 1440p monitor you will probably be very safe with just a 4070. Maybe even a 4080 if you want Ray Tracing all the time or 120 minimum hz at 1440p all the time sure but even if you want the best, chances are you don't need to pay 2x-3x as much money for the absolute highest end with the card basically doing nothing but idle at that point if you don't actually have something like a 4k 120hz monitor that can actually push the really high end games to those extremes of performance.

Nvidia is explicitly saying "We know there's a need for 1440p high end gamers, in fact we know it's the majority of high end gamers, so we won't actually give them an option other than the 4090 a card that is unnecessarily powerful and unnecessarily power hungry" at least for a good while. And no, this isn't the kind of market of people that would settle for just a 3080 or 3090 once they know there's a card that gives them 20% more performance or more, especially because Nvidia won't keep those cards around or let them go down in price so for a period of time, you actually won't be able to easily find a reasonably priced 3080 or better it's going to be either a 4090 or a really lower tier card like a 3060ti which doesn't really competes with high end offerings even on it's own generation let alone across them.
Options on launch day for the 4090: 4090, 3080, 3070, assuming the 3090 is dico'd.

Options on launch day for the 4080: 4090, 4080, 3070. again assuming the 3080 is disco'd.

Options on launch day of the 4070: 4090, 4080, 4070...

If people are unable to control themselves and wait for the product they want or best suits their needs in the new series then I don't see how that should be of any concern of yours or mine. Again no one is forced to buy the $2000 4090 at launch of the 4090, people do have self control, if they were in so much of a rush they can go buy a 3090, 3080, 3070 today and then sell it when the next tier they want launches on the day it becomes available if so inclined.

For the rest of us we can let nVidia do their stupid tiered launch, and wait for the product we want to purchase, if it's even worth purchasing.

Options on launch day for the 4090: 4090, 3080, 3070, assuming the 3090 is dico'd.
It would be one of the first times that Nvidia keeps manufacturing the previous gen cards that directly compete after the new gen is released so I really don´t think that´s going to happen: It's going to be 4090 and that's it: A few remaining stock of 3080s and 3070s that will quickly disappear from shelves with no restockings coming.

I'd love to be proven wrong eventually, but I have a strong suspicion that I won't be.

It would be one of the first times that Nvidia keeps manufacturing the previous gen cards that directly compete after the new gen is released so I really don´t think that´s going to happen: It's going to be 4090 and that's it: A few remaining stock of 3080s and 3070s that will quickly disappear from shelves with no restockings coming.

I'd love to be proven wrong eventually, but I have a strong suspicion that I won't be.
I share your suspicion because nVidia has been in full-soak mode when it comes to their customers since they know that their customers are as mind-wiped as the people who line up for a new iPhone. I'm sure that it was always their intention to get to this point because I think that Jensen was a big admirer of Steve Jobs.

Last edited:

Also historically the X080 is launched first, by starting with the 4090 nVidia could be allowing more time to liquidate stock of the 3080, which I know sounds like a strange concept considering how little stock there's been. As mining demand peters off and people who can wait for the 4000 series to launch demand is already declining for the 3080 and 3070.

Also historically the X080 is launched first, by starting with the 4090 nVidia could be allowing more time to liquidate stock of the 3080, which I know sounds like a strange concept considering how little stock there's been.
Well, it could mean that, and it could also mean that nVidia has been keeping the price high on purpose and that their customers did not lap up the cards like they thought that they would, and instead of dropping price due to lower demand, they decided to hold the line.

Anyone can speculate. Consumers will likely never find out the truth.

Well, it could mean that, and it could also mean that nVidia has been keeping the price high on purpose and that their customers did not lap up the cards like they thought that they would, and instead of dropping price due to lower demand, they decided to hold the line.

Anyone can speculate. Consumers will likely never find out the truth.
I've been thinking for awhile that nVidia is trying to normalize. I remember flagship cards being like $600. 7800GTX, 8800 Ultra. Then the Titans came out and they were originally marketed as more of a workstation card. The 3090 was a weird beast but then they decided to one-up themselves and make a $2000 3090ti.

If they're going to release a 4090 for $2000 I wonder that the 4090ti will cost.

Here is something else unusual that I've noticed. The latest DP and HDMI standards don't support anything higher than 8k60 or 4k240. These products have the power to do 8k120 but we don't have a display standard that supports it yet.

Back