Nvidia said to be testing an RTX 40 series GPU that needs up to 900 watts

nanoguy

Staff member
Rumor mill: Nvidia could be preparing a monster GPU that will need two PCIe 5.0 power connectors; possibly a Titan RTX successor based on the Ada Lovelace architecture. At least the rumors so far seem to indicate far more normal specs for the rest of the RTX 4000 series, so there's still hope that gamers won't need a small power plant to power Team Green's next-generation GPUs.

With the RTX 3090 Ti graphics card, Nvidia squeezed the last bit of performance it could from the Ampere architecture by raising the power limit to 450 watts. Independent testing has also revealed the card is surprisingly efficient when the power limit is set to a more sane 300 watts.

The next-generation Ada Lovelace architecture is still shrouded in mystery, but that hasn't stopped the rumor mill from turning hints about what to expect. According to notorious Twitter leaker @kopite7kimi, Nvidia could be preparing a monster GPU that will dwarf the RTX 3090 Ti in many aspects.

Specifically, the company is said to be testing a full-fat AD102 GPU with a TGP of no less than 900 watts, higher clock speeds, and 48 gigabytes of GDDR6X memory. The test board reportedly comes with two PCIe 5.0 16-pin power connectors as opposed to the RTX 3090 Ti which comes with a single connector.

This could be the first Nvidia Titan product in years or simply an indication that transient loads and power spikes on engineering samples are too high to handle with just one 16-pin power connector. Leaked layouts for reference RTX 4000 series boards only include one of these, and are otherwise very similar to Ampere reference designs. The worst-case scenario is one where the ridiculous April Fools concept from a year ago will materialize into an actual product.

Kopite7kimi says the rest of the RTX 4000 series line-up will have similar TGP ratings to their Ampere predecessors. But more importantly, the RTX 4080 could come with 16 gigabytes of GDDR6X memory while the RTX 4070 will sport 12 gigabytes of GDDR6. These are only preliminary specs and thus subject to changes down the line, but it would be a welcome improvement over the RTX 3000 series.

The GeForce RTX 4000 series lineup is expected to break cover this fall and could be the first Nvidia GPUs that are designed with the help of AI. In the meantime, PSU manufacturers are getting ready for this new generation of power-hungry graphics cards. The only model we've seen in stock so far is the Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM at Newegg, with a price tag of $189.99.

Permalink to story.

If 48GB is real, it's def best for work.
12GB on the RTX 4070 looks like a move that will please a lot of gamers though. That's what I'll be looking to move up to from my 2070S.

Some were freaking out about 450w+ cards, and said nothing about what they expected the perf to be. If the perf is there, 450-600w wont be an issue. I'm hopeful for a good surprise.

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous. It could mean a 4060, that I was aiming for, may reach 300W or more? I don't get it, on a better TSMC node? Damn, I'm turning my head to AMD again or I might reconsider a 3070.

Given the efficiency of running something like 2x 3080 level cards for the ML workloads and such that might require them, it should be flatout illegal to produce a 900w card when it will probably use double the power of a sane option to reach 10-15% more performance.

I am not even being hyperbolic here: it should be literally a crime to waste so much power given the fact that the latest predictions have us losing the entire food chain supply and dying out as a species INSIDE 30 YEARS and the leather jacket wearing bastard wants to pump more and more power no matter the consequences.

Tbh, I seriously doubt this will ever be a thing. nVidia may well be testing crazy configurations in their labs but I don‘t think this will ever make it to market.

Who needs a heater during winter with this hog running at full tilt. I am more worried about how much AC power you need just to remove the heat from the card alone, let alone cool down the room during increasingly hotter summers.

I am not even being hyperbolic here: it should be literally a crime to waste so much power given the fact that the latest predictions have us losing the entire food chain supply and dying out as a species INSIDE 30 YEARS and the leather jacket wearing bastard wants to pump more and more power no matter the consequences.
No.

Especially if you're going off of those ever-moving "predictions". It's just a GPU, stop your fearmongering lol

Tbh, I seriously doubt this will ever be a thing. nVidia may well be testing crazy configurations in their labs but I don‘t think this will ever make it to market.

I'm suspecting this as well.
Internal reference board so they can test for just how far this generation can be pushed and what amount of juice it'll take to get there, and probably how many units on the chip they need for 'x' performance at 'y' power for tiering cards -what with their fancy new power connector and all.

As a guess goes, seems to make sense to me.

Though we all know there will be a Kingpin and Hall of Fame, etc versions with stupid high power requirements.

Just because it has 2 power connectors everybody is jumping around saying it will need 900W. Most likely it will need a 'little more than a single connector could supply during peak demand but will average below 450W' but I guess that wouldn't make such a good headline?

Still its a ludicrous amount of power and is getting out of hand.

And yet, they released the 3090 Ti for 2K and you cant find one.

Dont underestimate the fanbois this day and age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Push it a little further and this could be a headline from hard-drive.net. "NVIDIA testing 2000 watt RTX Infinity GPU: requires supplemental dedicated generator to run and liquid nitrogen to cool"

People complaining about this do not understand the industry or human beings in general. High power, high performance parts are exactly what there is highest demand for right now. At least financially.

And anyone claiming it won’t work can bore off. Nvidia know how to make a GPU better than any of us do. Besides, it still won’t pull as much power as some plug in heaters. Or even some enthusiast sound systems.

Unfortunately it’s no longer 2005 where a top end GPU cost about $300 and used about 200W at most. People need to understand that this industry has grown and changed massively.

Given the efficiency of running something like 2x 3080 level cards for the ML workloads and such that might require them, it should be flatout illegal to produce a 900w card when it will probably use double the power of a sane option to reach 10-15% more performance.

Electricity doesn’t hurt the environment if it’s responsibly sourced. If you’re a poor eastern European nation buying gas off Putin for cheap then yeah, your electricity is poisoning the planet and funding war criminals. But if you’re Iceland you’re getting your energy from geothermal generators and producing no carbon and funding no dictators.

We are never going to restrict energy usage enough to make a difference to climate change. But it’s feasible to replace gas and coal plants with green alternatives like Nuclear, Solar, Wind etc.

Electricity doesn’t hurt the environment if it’s responsibly sourced. If you’re a poor eastern European nation buying gas off Putin for cheap then yeah, your electricity is poisoning the planet and funding war criminals. But if you’re Iceland you’re getting your energy from geothermal generators and producing no carbon and funding no dictators.

We are never going to restrict energy usage enough to make a difference to climate change. But it’s feasible to replace gas and coal plants with green alternatives like Nuclear, Solar, Wind etc.
Hydrogen is the future, use green energy to make hydrogen that way you have energy storage and energy at all times.

I dont think this card could run without tripping breakers on a significant number of households.

Yeah a modern house has lots of plugs etc , often on different circuits . But not all - just up fuse to 25A- she'll be fine
How many people have 6 plug extender - for modem. monitor, external nas , sound system etc ,

They have those thermal throws that use little power - great for poor pensioners( no need to heat whole house ) - wonder if there is a thermal rug for under computer desks to soak cold feet into - or for the cat to steal

As an aside - a human is about a 250w heater - with a reasonably insulated house - humans, dogs, PCs, fridges, ovens, TVs keep in ok warm
Go back into your empty house after a week off your power off - you will dramatically notice the difference in winter - excepting some 600sqm house

Back