Nvidia shows off in-game AI tech that allows spoken conversations with NPCs

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? For all the advancements that AI has made in the past six months or so, we're yet to really see its full potential used in games. But at Computex 2023, Nvidia boss Jensen Huang gave us a glimpse at what could be the future of gaming.

Jensen unveiled Nvidia Avatar Cloud Engine (ACE) for Games during his Computex keynote speech, a custom AI service that Nvidia says brings intelligence to non-playable characters through AI-powered natural language interactions.

Huang said that ACE for Games enables audio-to-facial-expression, text-to-speech, and natural language conversations. Referring to the latter, the CEO said it was "basically a large language model."

ACE for Games allows an NPC to listen to a player's conversation, which they can input using their own voice, and generate a response – no canned lines that keep getting repeated. The system can also animate a character's face so it matches the generated words they are speaking.

Huang demonstrated the technology in action via a real-time Unreal Engine 5-powered demo, designed by Convai, called Kairos. The very Cyberpunk 2077-like clip shows a player walking into a ramen shop and speaking to NPC Jin. The player is heard asking questions with his voice and receiving answers that are within the context of the story and character.

The dialogue is pretty dry and stiff, but it's still impressive technology. It's easy to imagine what ACE for Games will be like once it's been refined a bit more.

You can see another example of Convai's work in the video below.

Nvidia explained that ACE for Games builds on Nvidia Omniverse and offers access to three components. First is Nvidia NeMo, which is used for building, customizing and deploying language models. It has a feature called NeMo Guardrails that can protect against users having "unsafe" conversations, something that will likely be needed when it's applied to video games.

Another component is Nvidia Riva, used for automatic speech recognition and text-to-speech so players can have live conversations via a microphone.

The final element is Nvidia Omniverse Audio2Face. This component is what allows the characters' facial animations to match the words they're speaking. The technology is already being used in upcoming games STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl and Fort Solis.

"The neural networks enabling Nvidia ACE for Games are optimized for different capabilities, with various size, performance, and quality trade-offs. The ACE for Games foundry service will help developers fine-tune models for their games, then deploy via Nvidia DGX Cloud, GeForce RTX PCs or on premises for real-time inferencing," Nvidia says. "The models are optimized for latency – a critical requirement for immersive, responsive interactions in games."

Huang didn't say what the requirements were to use ACE for Games, but they're likely to be pretty hefty in its current form.

There's still a lot of room for improvement in the tech, but ACE for Games could be the first step toward a future where players can ask NPCs any question they like, as long as it's related to the game, and receive the sort of answer they were seeking, not a canned response. The idea of AI-controlled teammates who are human-like in their dialogue and the way they follow spoken commands is also an interesting one.

Permalink to story.

Sounds impressive...Then you remember Skyrim modders already had a working version of this two weeks ago and well, not so much no more.

I'm gonna give out a slightly (or maybe received as a deeply) controversial take here: I think that the current push for AI is basically an attempt to get Crypto boom 2.0 (And by boom, I am also implying the moment the entire thing implodes too) except with bigger players involved: A bunch of marketing and tech demos that sound good for investors and other people around with more money than tech knowledge or even common sense when bottom line, all this versions of AI are doing is very fast guessing: We actually have enough computational resources to simulate giving 1,000,000,000 monkeys 1,000,000,000 typewriters and sort through the results fast enough that it kinda, sorta does look like the real thing if you squint and don't think too much about it.

There's certainly not much 'Intelligence' involved and even 'learning' is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion but well, saying 'Fast computer guesswork' doesn't sounds as good to get people to buy Jensen another 100,000 fancy leather jackets and Microsoft to find a faster way to up sell their Azure stuff as 'ChatGPT a cloud native, powered by Azure product!'

Last edited:
OK, I don't get it. What was remotely special about this? Was it because the player spoke to the NPC to get a pre-defined answer? It's kinda neat I guess, but doesn't blow my socks off.

All the AI characters express themselves the same emotionless, robotic matter-of-fact way like my Google Assistant speaker.
Nvidia is waiting for next gen for ai deap learning emotions to milk the industry even further. Most gamers just want more clever ai during gameplay for pve to be as good as pvp if not better. For Huang he sees everything as simulation worthy meaning everything can potentially be put into a simulation and make Nvidia grow. Guy was talking about simulating the sun and text/speech to protein synthesis. One thing is for sure he doesn't want to simulate everything in one go and slowly simulate everything slightly faster than everyone else.

Sounds impressive...Then you remember Skyrim modders already had a working version of this two weeks ago and well, not so much no more.

I'm gonna give out a slightly (or maybe received as a deeply) controversial take here: I think that the current push for AI is basically an attempt to get Crypto boom 2.0 (And by boom, I am also implying the moment the entire thing implodes too) except with bigger players involved: A bunch of marketing and tech demos that sound good for investors and other people around with more money than tech knowledge or even common sense when bottom line, all this versions of AI are doing is very fast guessing: We actually have enough computational resources to simulate giving 1,000,000,000 monkeys 1,000,000,000 typewriters and sort through the results fast enough that it kinda, sorta does look like the real thing if you squint and don't think too much about it.

There's certainly not much 'Intelligence' involved and even 'learning' is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion but well, saying 'Fast computer guesswork' doesn't sounds as good to get people to buy Jensen another 100,000 fancy leather jackets and Microsoft to find a faster way to up sell their Azure stuff as 'ChatGPT a cloud native, powered by Azure product!'

Yeah, Nvidia has been pushing for AI for a little while. It does come across like they're trying to get AI started so they can sell their GPUs as AI accelerators like they did for crypto mining.

As the saying goes - The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I've seen comments in other threads that AI makes crap up - even, apparently, links to substantiate its results. And Jensen expects people to take crap seriously? WTF is this world coming to?? Jensen must really have his head up his butt. I've heard of clueless, but this takes the cake, IMO.

As the saying goes - The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I've seen comments in other threads that AI makes crap up - even, apparently, links to substantiate its results. And Jensen expects people to take crap seriously? WTF is this world coming to?? Jensen must really have his head up his butt. I've heard of clueless, but this takes the cake, IMO.

Yea I tried using chatGPT to automate search work for rigorously defined material (European norms applying to the construction sector) which should have been a best case scenario… it crashes and burns. It gets the absolutely most used thing right (Eurocode), but every construction/civil engineer in Europe knows those numbers by heart anyways, so not really useful… all the stuff that actually takes time to find when you need it? Yea it just made up numbers and correct sounding titles… had to discard all of the lists I’d had it make for different topics as soon as I tried using the first one…

Nvidia is waiting for next gen for ai deap learning emotions to milk the industry even further. Most gamers just want more clever ai during gameplay for pve to be as good as pvp if not better. For Huang he sees everything as simulation worthy meaning everything can potentially be put into a simulation and make Nvidia grow. Guy was talking about simulating the sun and text/speech to protein synthesis. One thing is for sure he doesn't want to simulate everything in one go and slowly simulate everything slightly faster than everyone else.
He should simulate affordable Nvidia GPUs with more VRAM.

OK, I don't get it. What was remotely special about this? Was it because the player spoke to the NPC to get a pre-defined answer? It's kinda neat I guess, but doesn't blow my socks off.

It is just an excuse to use the word "Ai" in gaming... (ie marketing) if It's just another text to voice derivative.

sadge... that nVidia is trying to market this is AI gaming.

Back