Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3060 launches February 25, but good luck finding one

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Nvidia’s mid-range RTX 3000-series card, the RTX 3060, is a little more than one week away from launch, although what exactly that means during these strange times is largely up for debate. With scalpers, miners and legitimate gamers all vying for Nvidia hardware, it seems almost certain that inventory shortages are going to continue.

Nvidia 3000-series cards went live in the latter half of 2020 but myriad of issues ensured in-store inventory remained virtually extinct. That’s still the case today, as the only way to get your hands on a new card is to pay an exorbitant price on a third-party marketplace.

Will the same hold true for the RTX 3060?

Nvidia’s mid-ranger carries an MSRP of just $329 and is scheduled to launch on February 25. According to reports, however, some retailers are already hiking the price of the card by as much as 75 percent in the pre-order period.

Truth be told, these cards are likely to get bought up by the same scalpers that have wreaked havoc on the hardware and console electronics industry in recent months. That, combined with already low levels of production / chip shortages caused by the pandemic and the recent demand for cards for cryptocurrency mining is making a tough situation even more untenable.

Permalink to story.

I’ll be lined up at Microcenter just to see if I can get one.

The 3060Ti and 3070 are easier to make so when I lined up for those, the first 50 people got a card.

However, the founders models empty first.

I’ve got 18 on preorder. I have a friend who works at a local retailer who’s sorting me out.

I’m sorry but they make far too much money mining for me to care about crying gamers. I’ve got a mortgage to pay!

That's cool, I'll just chill on my 1070 for now. The price is nice but if it's not available, I'll wait until stock returns or the competitor card from AMD comes out. I don't really care for RTX/DXR.

"Just 329"
Remember when the 1060 launched starting at $199? I remember. The 6 GB version was the Ti version of its day at I believe $250. Now the 3060 ti is going for straight up 2x that price. Now we're happy with an over 50% price increase. I bet the 3050 will be a whopping $200, which is a giant budget stretch for the people who really need ~120ish dollar GPUs.

Next gen will be even more expensive because the meme that "Ampere is a return to normal pricing!!!" got people to accept the Turing price increases, and the mining boom will once again normalize even higher prices. Before you know it, $400 cards will be the sweet spot cards. Oh wait...

I'd say I hope Bitcoin goes to zero, but I just bought into it (and I got a 3080 a few months ago).
Right technology, wrong crypto. People use purpose-built ASICs to mine Bitcoin. Ethereum is the last mainstream crypto that's mined using proof-of-work, and that may end as soon as the end of this year once it goes proof-of-stake. Also, your purchase was validated on the blockchain by one of those miners, so next time you see one, be sure to say thanks.

The miners may switch to another mineable coin but they'll then have to make it catch on too, which is easier said than done.

Better just get used to that the new entry price for a gamer card is at least 500-600. And that's if you're lucky enough to find an 'entry level' gamer card at all.

I’ve got 18 on preorder. I have a friend who works at a local retailer who’s sorting me out.

I’m sorry but they make far too much money mining for me to care about crying gamers. I’ve got a mortgage to pay!

What store do they know your abusing limits?

Get vaccinated. Play board games with real, live people. Problem solved.
a6b1ab9ed0706f44d025ec7e8688b643.gif

What store do they know your abusing limits?
I was of course joking. But my comment represents how miners probably feel. As for the store itself, do they really care if a single user ends up with more than one? They don’t make that much on the markup of these items and when they go unsold they can lose money on them. I would imagine retailers are weary of the crypto boom collapsing and don’t want to risk holding tens of thousands of dollars worth of stock when that happens.

Right technology, wrong crypto. People use purpose-built ASICs to mine Bitcoin. Ethereum is the last mainstream crypto that's mined using proof-of-work, and that may end as soon as the end of this year once it goes proof-of-stake. Also, your purchase was validated on the blockchain by one of those miners, so next time you see one, be sure to say thanks.

The miners may switch to another mineable coin but they'll then have to make it catch on too, which is easier said than done.
Ah, ok. Didn't realise that. I actually bought shares in MARA a Bitcoin miner.

Back