Nvidia's top-of-the-line CMP cryptomining GPU is now available for $4,300

zakislam

In context: On top of the component shortage contributing to rising prices of graphics cards, crypto miners have further influenced the global shortage of GPUs by buying up all possible stock. Naturally, gamers have been affected, with Nvidia "addressing" the situation by announcing its dedicated CMP GPUs for cryptomining. One such variant has now become available for an eye-watering price.

The Nvidia CMP 170HX is the flagship GPU in the company's "Cryptocurrency Mining Processor" series. As spotted in Tom's Hardware, the card has gone up for sale at Vipera, a retailer in Dubai. The store claims to have 238 units in stock for a price of $4,300. It was also found on a Yahoo auction in Japan where the seller is asking for $5,285.

Futile for gamers due to the lack of display outputs, Nvidia's CMP 170HX receives power via a single 8-pin pci-e connector, joined by a 250W TDP. It also features a GA100 die with 4480 CUDA cores, along with 8 GB of HBM2e VRAM.

In terms of hash rate, the CMP 170HX can reportedly deliver up to 164 MHps for mining Ethereum. That's a big figure compared to the listed CMP models on Nvidia's official website, with the maximum ETH hash rate performance reaching 86 MH/s for the 90HX.

The card combines a dual-slot design with a silver metallic shroud, as well as boasting a passive-cooling solution. Built on the 7 nm process, the CMP 170HX offers 4480 shading units, 280 texture mapping units, and 128 ROPs. In addition to being powered by 280 tensor cores, the GPU operates at a frequency of 1140 MHz, which can be boosted up to 1410 MHz, while memory runs at 1458 MHz.

Also read: GPU Availability and Pricing Update: October 2021

Looking ahead, the popularity of cryptocurrency mining may continue increase due to Bitcoin prices recently reaching an all-time high. Ethereum has also been on a tear lately, exceeding previous peaks and surpassing the $4,000 mark.

Back in February, Nvidia announced that all GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards would be shipped with a reduced Ethereum hash rate. Then in May, the company unveiled additional measures by applying a reduced ETH hash rate to new units of its RTX 30 series including the GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070, and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. However, those cards' limiter have been partially bypassed, resulting in mining performance being boosted to 70 percent.

Meanwhile, AMD has denied that the firm is prioritizing selling cards to crypto miners over those wishing to purchase a GPU for gaming purposes, though that hasn't helped availability in any significant way.

Permalink to story.

Any of the mining connoisseurs can tell us if this is good?

Google shows a 3080 at supposedly 50mhps so if these can do 3 times as much and MSRP for under 3x the price and run and faaaar less power than 3x3080 intuitively seems like a good deal.

Maybe not good enough that gpus start loosing appeal and that also depends entirely on availability on these new things but maybe things could get a bit better by 2022?

Google shows a 3080 at supposedly 50mhps so if these can do 3 times as much and MSRP for under 3x the price and run and faaaar less power than 3x3080 intuitively seems like a good deal.

Maybe not good enough that gpus start loosing appeal and that also depends entirely on availability on these new things but maybe things could get a bit better by 2022?
I don't actually think we got any dedicated crypto farmers here. But keep in mind that you'll get far less trying to flip these years later (since they don't have video output).

Last edited:
I don't actually think we got any dedicated crypto farmers here. But keep in mind that you'll get far less trying to flip these years later (since they don't have video output).

I do not think that Crypto will go bust anytime soon.

It's useful to watch closely what the US is doing with respect to Crypto and right now everybody and their little sister are investing into cryptomining in fact so much so that whole power plants in the US have been converted to supply large scale deployment crypto-operations.

These ppl are investing their money for the long haul and they are certainly no fools which means that Crypto will be with us for several years to come, maybe even several decades to come, and will be common, popular and widespread.

PC gaming will be a hobby for the rich and the vast majority of PC gamers, those who now own GTX 1060's, 1050TI's and equivalent GPUs will abandon PC gaming and will instead permanently convert to Console Gaming.

So-called gaming GPU's will be used exclusively for mining or for both mining and gaming for those that can afford them.

I do not think that Crypto will go bust anytime soon.

It's useful to watch closely what the US is doing with respect to Crypto and right now everybody and their little sister are investing into cryptomining in fact so much so that whole power plants in the US have been converted to supply large scale deployment crypto-operations.

These ppl are investing their money for the long haul and they are certainly no fools which means that Crypto will be with us for several years to come, maybe even several decades to come, and will be common, popular and widespread.

PC gaming will be a hobby for the rich and the vast majority of PC gamers, those who now own GTX 1060's, 1050TI's and equivalent GPUs will abandon PC gaming and will instead permanently convert to Console Gaming.

So-called gaming GPU's will be used exclusively for mining or for both mining and gaming for those that can afford them.

I hate to say this but you are correct. Also looking how America is with pump and dump greed and how this country is run by the Biden administration allowing shady f*** and selling out our country for their own gain Crypto will help the rich get richer.

If you can get drivers to recognize in system those cards may not be as useless to general public as it seems.

You can render on them just fine (although 8GB VRAM is kind of limiting factor, but still workable as 4GB is absolute minimum on engines) if you have at least iGPU in system and plenty of airflow. With some VM shenanigan you can pass the signal via other output. Older "mining" GPUs were working as "semi-normal" VGAs in PCs, but you've to know how to do it. Certainly getting them to work wasn't for average PC user (not P&P).

Other than this. Waste of silicone and other precious materials.

It's already is since the end of 2020. Those in 1650 1660 budget gamers cant afford the card anymore. They have no options to upgrade, even if nvidia released 1670 or any successor to 1660, it would be ouf of their reach anymore.

Those in mid range xx60 and xx70 gamers are forced to pay xx80's price for the similar card. And xx80 gamers must pay double or triple the price.

Sadly gaming laptop is a better choice right now if you want to do pc gaming.

Honestly I don't even know what to upgrade to from my current 1080Ti later. I ideally want a xx80/ti equivalent. But I dont think I can afford it anymore if the current market continues forever, or at least my consience wont allow me pay that much money for a single GPU, never.

Crypto mining is approaching the paradigm of photography. whereas, the only people who make money at it, are the manufacturers of the equipment.

I mean really, you have to buy a power station, video cards are $4300.00 a pop, and so forth.

Crypto is tied to the fate of the fiat system, precious metals are the only real lifeboat, unfortunately many will learn this too late.
Practical uses for gold are limited and exclusive uses even more so as there are usually substitute alloys that will suffice. In other words, gold's high value is derived from... wait for it... fiat! Gold has really high value because we as a collective have all agreed that it does. Same thing with silver, although silver has more industrial uses than gold.

Gold and bitcoin are very similar because they both act as a store of value that cannot be arbitrarily inflated. While bitcoin cannot be used as a corrosion-resistant coating, gold cannot be securely transferred all over the world quickly and easily. They both have their advantages but in terms of being used as money, bitcoin has the edge, an edge that gets stronger the more time passes.

Gold and bitcoin are very similar because they both act as a store of value that cannot be arbitrarily inflated. While bitcoin cannot be used as a corrosion-resistant coating, gold cannot be securely transferred all over the world quickly and easily. They both have their advantages but in terms of being used as money, bitcoin has the edge, an edge that gets stronger the more time passes
The only sticking point here is, that bitcoin must be converted to local currencies, before it has any value whatsoever. That is not the case with gold..

If I farm potatoes, I produces potatoes.
if I farm cryptos, apart from consuming energy, what do I produce ? except intangible money

Mine is a question: Does mining produce anything?... anythin usefull for the society?

If I farm potatoes, I produces potatoes.
if I farm cryptos, apart from consuming energy, what do I produce ? except intangible money
Well no, it's "lilies of the field", sort of proposition..
Mine is a question: Does mining produce anything?... anythin usefull for the society?
Well, I've always thought the stock market was partly, powered by histrionics. Crypto even more so.

Any value attached to "fiat money", has always been sort of an illusion. With crpto, it's a complete illusion, To say it has no intrinsic value, would bring the miners here's wrath down upon me.

Although, if crypto has value as "proof of work", is to imply that buying a video card, is work.. So tell me, exactly what work has anyone done, during the mining process? :confused:

Last edited:
Yall get your panties so twisted over miners. TelL mE hOwS iT hAVe vAlUe?!?!!?!

FHR 80s do 100MHs
FE 80s do 100MHs
LHR 80s do 70MHs using LHR unlocks.
Only time a 3080 does 50MHs is if it is LHR and not using any unlock.
3090 does 120MHs

All FE cards besides 70Ti and 80Ti are FHR. Nvidia does not gimp their own FE line of RTX. They only cripple AIB cards. Which are constantly sold out still.

These CMP cards are being bought in lots of 20 or more probably. These won't impact anything other than network hashrate for ethereum or some other alt coin. The RTX shortage will persist for a while.

When you are done recovering the money you invested on this card, the card just dies off! Stupid prices from Nvidia, as always.

Practical uses for gold are limited and exclusive uses even more so as there are usually substitute alloys that will suffice. In other words, gold's high value is derived from... wait for it... fiat! Gold has really high value because we as a collective have all agreed that it does. Same thing with silver, although silver has more industrial uses than gold.

Gold and bitcoin are very similar because they both act as a store of value that cannot be arbitrarily inflated. While bitcoin cannot be used as a corrosion-resistant coating, gold cannot be securely transferred all over the world quickly and easily. They both have their advantages but in terms of being used as money, bitcoin has the edge, an edge that gets stronger the more time passes.
Wait for it...
In Venezuela local businesses started using gold from an article I read this week I will try to find it.
Question still remains if crypto currencies are not quantum encrypted what are people putting there futures in?
Update also in the USA the leftist Dems are attempting to get the IRS to be able to access every transaction on any account larger than $600. At this point crypto currencies is the opposite of cash and precious metals in terms of privacy.
Finally a reminder to all through history after any empire crumbles, under all that fire the previous metals remain and probably at its highest value worth. Million dollar bitcoin anyone?

Last edited:

Not entirely out of term, but not quite: you can't sustain a full AAA PC gaming industry with just the "rich gamers"

But PC gaming wouldn't just disappear: it would just scale back to only indie games that do not require either a powerful/up-to-date GPU or a big budget game publisher to make things happen.

The death of PC Gaming would be limited to the death of AAA, big budget titles only.

But you're entirely correct in assuming many gamers would move to console. Maybe not necessarily to an actual, physical console as cloud gaming services will continue to get even stronger in the next few years so you could get your "AAA" gaming, still on your APU based pc or your work laptop, by paying Microsoft and/or Sony to access both the games and the hardware remotely provided you have a strong internet connection.

But since the point of cloud gaming is basically the exact same point of the gaming consoles, to create a controlled environment and experience inside a walled garden, functionally it's almost the same as pc gamers becoming console gamers anyway.

Crypto is tied to the fate of the fiat system, precious metals are the only real lifeboat, unfortunately many will learn this too late.

REAL ESTATE is the best hedge against inflation.

Can't make "more land".

ain't easy to make "more houses" - especially with inflated material cost.

Ah, "pc gaming is dead" "long live console gaming" I heard that utter BS many may times before.
Yep every year PC gaming is dying into a multi billion dollar market and gets bigger. Some label gaming as addictive. With any addiction people will find a way to get their fix. The only thing that improve the current shyte show is more supply and competition.

Back