Obama complains about his phone, Microsoft offers him a WP7 device

Emil

Microsoft has offered US President Barack Obama a free Windows Phone 7 device. Where did that come from? It all started when Obama jokingly complained about how he doesn't get to use the latest and greatest technology.

"The Oval Office, I always thought I was going to have really cool phones and stuff," Obama said during a Q&A session with contributors to his re-election campaign, according to CBS. "We can't get our phones to work. Come on, guys. I'm the president of the United States! Where's the fancy buttons and stuff and the big screen comes up? It doesn't happen."

Microsoft took the opportunity to offer Obama a phone. The Microsoft EMEA Twitter account (EMEA stands for Europe, the Middle East, and Africa) sent out the following message:

Hey @BarackObama, we hear you want a cool phone – how about a Windows Phone 7? We can send one your way! https://fxn.ws/eflCNx #WP7

The Barack Obama Twitter account did not respond. We don't think Obama is actually complaining about his mobile phone (he uses a BlackBerry), but rather the phone on his desk in the Oval Office, and all the other outdated gadgets in the room. Microsoft's tweet was still a smart marketing move, however, even if Obama won't start using a Windows phone.

In fact, we're pretty certain he won't: the BlackBerry is still the most trusted device by governments, thanks to its excellent security. The US government would have to go through quite a process to test Windows Phone to make sure it is acceptable as well.

This isn't the first time Microsoft has made a WP7 offer to someone famous. Earlier this year, the software giant offered hacker George Hotz, also known as GeoHot, a free WP7 device.

Permalink to story.

Will they be 'tempted' to offer me one, If I want to exchange SGS for something similar running WP? *head scratch*

Hey Obama, 99% of our soldiers in the middle east don't have air conditioning or even a nokia brick phone to call their loved ones, grow a pair.

@Paul
Center for Defense Information published a book "The Pentagon Lybryinth" comprising of 10 Essays from defense analysts/ex. army men which gives interesting details about 'how tax payers' money is 'systematically / deliberately' wasted; and if someone doesn't want to become part of it ............. well you can guess how they are treated.

Besides, well Obama will get the phone free if he accepts the offer whereas, providing airconditioning + adequate equipment to soliders costs money.

If you take out security paradigm (even that is questionable IMO); I wouldn't prefer BB over any other OS/smartphone offerings.

Out of context, but BlackBerry looks like a phone for grand-fathers .... Iphone is the Best :) . . Havn't seen a Wp yet :p .... no scratch on the head as i have no lices :)

I still got my blackberry but I'm planning on going droid not Iphone (sorry Guest)
I'd rather see my tax dollars go to a high-tech oval office rather than stamps for someones re-election campagin.

@stewi0001: I'll back that decision for you :p I'm a droid user (SGS i9000 w/Darky's 9.5 & Dark Kernel - Face it, most stock android phones are only decent once they're tweaked over and rooted, hence not for the average joe... those people can pay twice the price and get an apple product for all I care, I want more from my phone) and I can recommend you getting a droid.

I come from using iPhones and iPod touches, and I believe my move to android has been a good one, I get the power and flexibility which I really want and need, plus I find my droid phone feature packed at 1/2 the price of the iPhone 4 (here in Australia)

May I suggest the SGS 2? hahaha

Guest said:
Out of context, but BlackBerry looks like a phone for grand-fathers .... Iphone is the Best :) . . Havn't seen a Wp yet :p .... no scratch on the head as i have no lices :)

I think the iPhone's only redeeming quality is novelty. Aside from that, BlackBerrys are the superior device. I've owned the first 2 generations of the iPod touch and really don't like iOS.

I picked up the windows phone a few months ago and have been thinking about writing a review on it and posting it here. What do you guys think, should I go for it? Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase, but I would not recommend it to someone who owns a blackberry. It simply lacks features that business users need. BTW, the zune player on my phone has much better sound quality than any iPod I've used and I've owned 5.

@stewi0001: I'll back that decision for you :p I'm a droid user (SGS i9000 w/Darky's 9.5 & Dark Kernel - Face it, most stock android phones are only decent once they're tweaked over and rooted, hence not for the average joe... those people can pay twice the price and get an apple product for all I care, I want more from my phone) and I can recommend you getting a droid.

I come from using iPhones and iPod touches, and I believe my move to android has been a good one, I get the power and flexibility which I really want and need, plus I find my droid phone feature packed at 1/2 the price of the iPhone 4 (here in Australia)

May I suggest the SGS 2? hahaha

not to derail the topic, but I'm a droid x owner, currently rooted and under clocked and volted. I love my droid.

On another note. I doubt Obama needs anything other than a blackberry.

What? Wow..... I take it that he was joking around but for you to tell him to grow a pair? Grow up.

Oops I did not click "Reply" to Paulwuzhere. The last comment from guest was directed towards him. Anyways what I mean was that he like some people thought that sometimes when you work for something you think is cool, you expect cool gadgets and such but that hope is a lot of times is dashed. Don't you think working for CERN is cool? If you look at pictures of the building they work in, sometimes it looks rather terrible with rusting stuff here and there (but the science part is still cool).

Someone who owns a blackberry needs a WP, I don't think so.

He may not need it, but he might prefer it.

I personally cannot stand Blackberry's and despite several attempts have been unable to deal with them for any more than a day before returning them for something else.

I'm not saying WP is any better though, as tbh I've no idea and probably not about to consider it when I'm perfectly happy with my Android OS, HTC Desire.

If president Obama wants the nation goes forward he must order the companies put fiber optics everywhere, even inside the bathrooms.

can you change the wallpaper on that phone? Let's think about it 2 seconds. A phone thats "supports" viruses and malware...

@Guest
By the way Android do suffer from 'support' for malware as well. Generally, IMO user is to be blamed for being stupid enough in not using their device carefully and getting infected.

Back