Oblivion over before it begins - black box in uppper left corner of screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've seen this problem from others on here already but I didn't find anything that helped so now I'm asking what I should do. I just installed Oblivion - everything seemed to go fine - I click the icon - up comes the start screen. On the first load it attempted to assess my video settings but said it was unable to, so it would set them to the medium performance setting. After this I clicked 'play' - then a black box appeared in the upper left hand corner of my screen (title was Oblivion) then an error message appeared saying that Oblivion had to shut down. Never gave a reason why - just said if Windows could find a solution it would notify me - well that never happens. Anyone know what the heck is going on here - here are my system specs:

OS - Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor - Intel Core 2 duo cpu
phys memory 1013.57
avail phys mem - 198.51
virtual mem - 2.23
avail virtual mem - 1.12
sound device - SigmaTel High Definition Audio
Adapter type - mobile intel 965 express chipset family

Please HELP!!

Hello, DrBeak1, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, try reinstalling the game and your graphics drivers. Are you using a desktop PC or a laptop?

Your onboard graphics chip is not supported by the game. I don't know if that's all of the problem but it is certainly part of the problem.

You could try Oldblivion. I myself got to start oblivion and get about 5-10 fps with my fx 5200, and plan on trying it later.

EDIT: I haven't used it yet, though.

thanks - I was thinking it had to do with the graphics chip but I wasn't sure. And I believe I saw somewhere that since I'm using a laptop it's not something I can change - is that correct? I tried running oldblivion but no success there - still getting the black box and then an error message. Is there anything I can do to upgrade my chip set?

Unfortunately you can't change your graphics on a laptop. All you can really do is dedicate more memory to it but that wouldn't help if the chipset isn't supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back